Front-End Alignment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 93 F-150. I need new tires. The front end also needs aligning. As it pulls bad to the right. Is it better to align with the old tires still on or with new tires.

Doesn't matter since they clip the measuring stuff to the rim edges.

You may be able to find a deal if you buy it all at once though.

Align with new tires. If there is uneven wear on the old tires, camber won't be set accurately and it'll wear the new tires unevenly.

definitely align with new tires. you might need to have offset bushings installed to adjust camber and caster, assuming your f150 has the twin i-beam setup.

Going to go a bit further in depth than BDCardinal on Fords. It's really hard to explain alignment procedures on a Ford twin I beam system to a customer. Where the upper balljoint joins the spindle and axle, there's a over size hole into which a bushing is inserted to allow for caster/camber adjustment. This bushing is solid steel and NEVER wears out. Problem is, springs sag, axles bow, various rubber bushings loose elastisity, etc. None of these parts are bad enough to replace,still perfectly safe, but their degradation causes alignment values to change,,,sooooo, to compensate, balljoint bushing must be replaced with another with the center hole drilled to a different degree of offset. NO-ONE can guess, estimate, devine, or in any other way determine what bushing to install untill vehicle is on a rack and alignment values have been taken. This is a job for a professional!! Find a shop with a good track record and references and have alignment done before replacing tires. You can save money by proper checking of tierod ends, balljoints, radius rod bushings, and other related steering components. If any are found bad, replace them before going to alingnment shop. Although some of these parts require specialty tools and presses not normally found in a home shop, they can be rented at source of front end parts.

yes, replace tires before/at same time as alignment.

Bob

"Find a shop with a good track record and references and have alignment done before replacing tires."

SORRY!! shoud have read replace tires before align. Typing error NOT change of opinion.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back