Front End Alignment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1986 F-150 with the Dana 44 twin traction beam front axle. I need a front end alignment.

I figured it was a common thing on these vehicles, and nearly anywhere would have been able to do it.

I brought it to a Co-op where I usually get tire work and alignments done. I think they have always done a good job, minus the fact that they are bad with appointments.

Well, today after waiting 30 minutes longer than my appointment, they finally get my truck in. I'm quickly told they can't do alignments on old trucks like mine, something to do with it having king pins and they do ball joints.

I told them several times that I had an 86 F-150. But, like I said, they do good work, but the people I call and make appointments with don't know much about vehicles.

So, I guess I wasted a trip? Should anywhere be able to do this? Anyone have any info on why they couldn't do it? This place does them for $35, and another place I know does them for $55. I didn't want to have to pay $55 for a front end alignment.

Depends on how bad its out and what exactly is out. The caster/camber on that axle is set with offset bushings. If it just needs "touching up" then the bushings that are in it may be rotated a bit. Provided they aren't the factory "preset" ones that can't be rotated due to an "ear" that fits in a slot.

A real alignment shop stocks a selection of those bushings. If one or both need replacing to bring it into spec expect to pay an additional ~$50 per side. That's above the whatever the flat "hookup" charge is.

I've done several of those and at times it can be a real pain if one is way out on both caster and camber.

King Pins are a nightmare.
Still, anybody should be able to set your toe.
Then, at least they should be able to give you a read out of the other alignment specs, and see if you really need other adjustments.

What I'm trying to find out is if they could have done anything or not.

They seemed to be lazy and nearly smart [censored]. As if they didn't want to even work that day. BUT until I know the facts, I can't rightfully give them a piece of my mind.

They are the only place around that will change tires on my wife's Eclipse rims because they are aftermarket chrome 17" wheels with a few knobs in places.

I'm going to look into it some more.

Does this truck pull left or right or wear the tires really bad?
If it doesn't, I'd have them set the toe-in and call it good. The Ford twin I beam setup was built for tough trucks and front end alignments took a back seat.
BTW, when you grease the king pins, have all the weight off the front end and rotate the wheels back and forth repeatedly. It helps the longevity of these systems.

Odds are it's for the better they said they couldn't do it. I have heard that these trucks are difficult to align properly and it's best to take them to a really good shop that knows what they are doing if it needs to be done. Any shop that says they can't probably isn't good enough.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Odds are it's for the better they said they couldn't do it. I have heard that these trucks are difficult to align properly and it's best to take them to a really good shop that knows what they are doing if it needs to be done. Any shop that says they can't probably isn't good enough.

Indeed. I had a specialty alignment shop do my F-250 with this setup, and you could have passed out behind the wheel and it would have just kept going straight.... A trait this setup is not know for.

Great points. I didn't know I'd be running into trouble with what's normally a simple front end alignment.

I don't know of anywhere to take it except a Ford dealership.. But I feel like I'll come out of there with a $600 bill.

Originally Posted By: Jaymus
Great points. I didn't know I'd be running into trouble with what's normally a simple front end alignment.

I don't know of anywhere to take it except a Ford dealership.. But I feel like I'll come out of there with a $600 bill.

See if you can find an old mom-and-pop (well, at least the pop, anyway) alignment shop. Along with the bushings, to properly adjust camber on an old 2WD Ford Twin-I beam you have to bend the I-beams. A lot of new alignment shops won't have the tools to do it. I'd bet money that most new Ford shops won't have it. The tools are a clamp that attaches to the I-beam and has a Porta-power (sp?) that puts enough pressure on the beams to actually bend them.
I'll stick with my original advice of just setting the toe unless you are seriously wearing the inside or outside of the tire.

Last edited:
NO 1986 Ford pickup had/has king-pins! 2 &4 wheel drive both use ball joints with the previously mentioned alignment bushings.

Someone mentioned bending axles,,,that only applies to much older twin I beams that did have king-pins.

No one is gonna do a reasonably decent alighment on this type front end for less than $100. Most will charge closer to $200.

Suck it up and get 'er done,, trade, or buy tires more often!

Bob

Yeah if the ford had the ball joints that use the bushings those is not hard to align at all. The shop was either lazy or idiots. I use to do those all the time. We would keep the bushings in stock cause it was almost guaranteed that when a ford came in with that style suspension it needed balljoints and bushings for an alignment afterward. Especially on the vans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back