Front coil springs?

DR1

I read online that front coil springs are something that usually never has to be replaced. Is that true? Me personally don't go off road at all. I do drive over 3 to 6 speed humps per day. I want to replace my front springs but I want to get the Bilstein 4600 for the front but Bilstein doesn't offer the coil over spring combo. Should I just replaced the front shocks only and continue using my original 2008 with almost 147k miles on the front coil springs?

First… What vehicle is it?

I mean, most trucks use an A arm setup and most will run “forever” with the original springs. Most FWD cars use struts, and while the springs can be reused with new struts, once a certain age is hit, it is cheaper to buy quickstruts which come with new springs. (applicable to many CUV AWD vehicles too.) Not sure about coil over setups though.

If the ride height has not changed the springs should be ok.

They can get weak, or even rust (esp. plastic coated Ford rear ones), but ride height would be low. I‘ve seen newer ones fail & older ones last the life of the car or truck, need to measure height & inspect.

First… What vehicle is it?

I mean, most trucks use an A arm setup and most will run “forever” with the original springs. Most FWD cars use struts, and while the springs can be reused with new struts, once a certain age is hit, it is cheaper to buy quickstruts which come with new springs. (applicable to many CUV AWD vehicles too.) Not sure about coil over setups though.

If the ride height has not changed the springs should be ok.
2008 Nissan Titan with almost 147k miles on it.

A good start would be to figure original vs current ride height. How much have they sagged over the miles and years?

Depends strongly on the manufacturer. Those plastic coated springs used in the struts of some Fords were prone to fail catastrophically and rip into the tire possible sending car into the patch of a semi. However, Ford had a recall and hopefully learned how to make better ones. There should be some statistics out there. One thing good is that with quick struts you’ll be replacing the springs with the shocks.

The front ones on my 2002 Wrangler are the originals. I did put a spacer on top of them a few years ago as it was sitting like a stink bug. Getting time to replace them as they are getting low again. 189000 miles,mostly rough roads.

Fords are bad for springs sagging or just breaking. Personally, I have had to replace springs on five different Fords because of broken springs ( four coil and a broken leaf spring on my F150) and one Dodge which has a broken coil. It does happen and rust seems to be what causes coils to break.

If your springs are not broken or sag, no need to replace them. Mileage has nothing to do with it.

I changed my coil springs on my old ford taurus at 250k, with coil packs, because the struts (one) were bad and leaking. The parts were junk and were worse than the old springs and struts. I used KYB coil packs. JUNK... Personally, I wouldn't touch them unless you're looking for a different type of ride quality. Like I said, at 250k I changed them because one strut was leaking. It was easier for me to get coil packs than compress the springs myself.. (compressing horror story here)..

Bro, like we all said in the other thread, no broken, no fix..

You are just itching to work on your truck! You did the diffs, xfer case, and trans fluid right? Sit back, relax, pop a brew and fell good about your work. Most dipchits don't get one quarter of the mait. you've done.

Reactions: DR1
Fords are bad for springs sagging or just breaking. Personally, I have had to replace springs on five different Fords because of broken springs ( four coil and a broken leaf spring on my F150) and one Dodge which has a broken coil. It does happen and rust seems to be what causes coils to break.

If your springs are not broken or sag, no need to replace them. Mileage has nothing to do with it.
The actually happened with my rear coil spring on my old Taurus, broke, ripped into tire and the tire blew out. Both rears replaced free by dealership. There was a huge TSB on it. I could see that issue killing someone easy. Thats another reason why I changed my fronts springs, paranoria.

I've got 2 Bilstein 4600 front springs on the way! Just ordered yesterday. Looks like I will just use my original coil springs. I will need my mechanic for this job. I am def. no mechanic.....LOL

I've got 2 Bilstein 4600 front springs on the way! Just ordered yesterday. Looks like I will just use my original coil springs. I will need my mechanic for this job. I am def. no mechanic.....LOL
So you determined that the ride height was lower than the specification?

For the most part, they're fine.

My 96' Cherokee, they were tired. I replaced the shocks in the front end and when offroad it would bottom out really bad over big bumps. Replaced the original springs and it no longer bottoms out. The height was fine.

Back