Bilsteins Shocks Don't Fit!- Acura Integra!

During installation of Integra Blisteins HD Shocks on my Daughters 1996 Sedan. The stock Rear Coils Springs inside diameter are not perfectly round, this not allow the Coil to slip over the lower Spring Purch during install. See the pictures' for the Fix. I contacted Bilstein Technical Support, opened a Ticket, after verifying that I had the correct part numbers, Bilstein never replied back. I needed to come up with my own solution.

Attachments

• IMG_20230815_143429617 (1).jpg
    IMG_20230815_143429617 (1).jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_20230815_143617872_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230815_143617872_HDR.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_20230817_133931631_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230817_133931631_HDR.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_20230817_133939942_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230817_133939942_HDR.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_20230817_134154490.jpg
    IMG_20230817_134154490.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_20230818_083322636.jpg
    IMG_20230818_083322636.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_20230818_091911756_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230818_091911756_HDR.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 104
I would’ve modified the perch vs. the spring. Even that end part of the spring flexes.

By grinding the coil, you’ve changed both the spring rate and the shape of the spring.

That relatively rapid change in diameter is going to cause a stress riser and likely a crack.

I would’ve probably ground the purch instead of the spring, but grinding the tip of that spring should not cause issues.

Of course this is BITOG where you need to handle repairs as if you were working on a space shuttle, so put your flame suit on.
I was concerned about my Bilstein Warranty. If I have a problem with the Spring down the Road I will just get used ones.

I would’ve modified the perch vs. the spring. Even that end part of the spring flexes.

By grinding the coil, you’ve changed both the spring rate and the shape of the spring.

That relatively rapid change in diameter is going to cause a stress riser and likely a crack.
But losing the end of the spring shouldn't really matter though? Probably he could've just cut it off and the spring would be couple percent stiffer?
I guess if it cracks, then finish it off the with the dremel, just so it can't hurt anything when if the little piece falls out.

I was concerned about my Bilstein Warranty. If I have a problem with the Spring down the Road I will just get used ones.
Well, it seems the warranty isn't worth much anyways if they are unresponsive... But yes, if it cracks anywhere else they could use the modification to weasel out of the warranty. They are springs though from a semi reputable company, so they likely shouldn't have a problem.

Grinding the spring is the best fast fix. Removing material from the Perch could affect its integrity. The perching is probably seeing more load that first 2" of spring and if it breaks the failure would be more dramatic.

Nice work to get out of a jam, it will probably last the life of the vehicle.

Well, it seems the warranty isn't worth much anyways if they are unresponsive... But yes, if it cracks anywhere else they could use the modification to weasel out of the warranty. They are springs though from a semi reputable company, so they likely shouldn't have a problem.
The Springs are OEM Japanese steel, very strong!

I have heard that, and we installed B6 on my wife’s GM. I just said well the GM OE leaks in 60k, and the Bilsteins really didn’t cost more (I think rear shocks $20 more per side, struts same).

Walker is another one, lifetime warranty is useless. The problem is these cos want the old part shipped back before they even agree it’s warranted. Who’s gonna do that .

Grinding the spring is the best fast fix. Removing material from the Perch could affect its integrity. The perching is probably seeing more load that first 2" of spring and if it breaks the failure would be more dramatic.

Nice work to get out of a jam, it will probably last the life of the vehicle.
Removing material from the spring affects its integrity as well. Since the spring is flexing, that's going to be a potential cracking point.

I wouldn't have put this back together (without getting new springs) this way. The parts don't fit. Suspension and springs aren't a place to grinding anything down.

Grind the spring - affect strength. Lead to breakage.
Grind the perch - affect strength. Lead to breakage.

A broken spring isn't going to be as a bad as a broken perch, but it's still going to be bad. You'll lose ride height on that side, you'll have a sharp edge from the spring digging into the perch, causing failure there (the aluminum won't take continued cycling of the load against a sharp edge). Depending on how it breaks and when, you have the potential for cascading failures.

Removing material from the spring affects its integrity as well. Since the spring is flexing, that's going to be a potential cracking point.

I wouldn't have put this back together (without getting new springs) this way. The parts don't fit. Suspension and springs aren't a place to grinding anything down.

Grind the spring - affect strength. Lead to breakage.
Grind the perch - affect strength. Lead to breakage.

A broken spring isn't going to be as a bad as a broken perch, but it's still going to be bad. You'll lose ride height on that side, you'll have a sharp edge from the spring digging into the perch, causing failure there (the aluminum won't take continued cycling of the load against a sharp edge). Depending on how it breaks and when, you have the potential for cascading failures.
I have had the perch break on a Volvo 264. Only time I’ve experienced that. Curious what root cause is of the fit. Surely other Acura owners have used Bilstein.

I guess I am going against the grain but after looking at it, it was a small fitment issue and nothing to be too concerned about, under load the complete bottom of the coil appears to be sitting properly under a load. Imagining how this went together, you got one side of the coil over the lower mount and the end of the spring would caught on the lip, is that correct?
I will say you possibly could have got away with just angling the end slightly, I have seen this on OE springs on tight fits but the majority of the lower coil does appear well seated. Do something to prevent rust on that part in that area.

IMG_20230818_083322636~2.jpg

That solution is far too simple.
Which springs would you recommend to avoid this issue? New OE springs will be the same. The issue is not with the springs it is with the lower spring perch on the shocks, replacing the springs is not a far too simple answer, it could be very complicated with correct measurements, ride height and spring rate.
The simple solution would be 2 OE shocks but I suspect these are going to get the job done for as long as he needs it.

Last edited:
Which springs would you recommend to avoid this issue? New OE springs will be the same. The issue is not with the springs it is with the lower spring perch on the shocks, replacing the springs is not a far to simple answer, it could be very complicated with correct measurements, ride height and spring rate.
The simple solution would be 2 OE shocks but I suspect these are going to get the job done for as long as he needs it.

Why hasn't this issue come up before? The Civic and Integra are very popular cars to modify, and lots of them have Bilstein shocks.

Has this issue come up on Honda forums before?

Otherwise, there's Gabriel quick struts
27.gif

Which springs would you recommend to avoid this issue? New OE springs will be the same. The issue is not with the springs it is with the lower spring perch on the shocks, replacing the springs is not a far to simple answer, it could be very complicated with correct measurements, ride height and spring rate.
Yeah, there's quite a length of spring just pressed against perch at full extension, so I don't think the ground end should be flexing at all, and shouldn't crack. And as long as there's enough bottom coil left to keep the spring centered on the perch, it doesn't matter if the spring is missing a bit of its tail, in case it does crack, IMO.

Why hasn't this issue come up before? The Civic and Integra are very popular cars to modify, and lots of them have Bilstein shocks.

Has this issue come up on Honda forums before?

Otherwise, there's Gabriel quick struts
27.gif

He would have to look into it, I have no idea what will or will not fit without doing something other than just putting them on. There could be some variables like mid year car we don't know about, I only commented on if those springs with that slightly modified end will fail early.
Even if that part of the spring broke off nothing much will change, in fact many spring perches use a cutout just to drop the tail of the spring in. I would like to see how the OE was done.

Back