From GC to PP??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all ive been a reading these forums for quite some time.. Anways I have a miata and have been using GC since its glorious green days. I was thinkin of making a switch to PP 5w-30.

Originally i started with M1 5w-30 and i hated that oil it seemed to burn alot and I had the classic miata lifter tick on cold starts.

GC Green was great (no liftertick) and on burned maybe 1/2 liter every 5kkms always towards the end of the 5k as i guess it would start to shear down.

GC gold.. I have not been all that impressed. Lifter tick is back and it seems to burn more than the GC Green. It could be me.

I know that PP is a true w30 weight oil not a close 40 like gc. I figure that the car spent the bulk of its like on dyno and pp being a group 3 maybe it can't hurt to switch. Is PP more prone to burning than GC?

The cost of GC bothers me now when i can get PP at a good price.

On a side note Ive been using Motomaster forumla on ein my other car and enjoying it as well.. great shell oil. I will be trying PP on that car too.

Are you using the true 0w-30 GC that says "Made in Germany" on the back? You might have gotten some bottles that were made in the states instead.

With that said, a lot here seem to like PP. I doubt you could go wrong with it.

I think the PP 5W-30 is a fine oil, but is thinner than your GC at operating temps. I would be more inclined to try Mobil 1 HM 10W-30/40 or a good 5W-40. Hey try it out. I would save the 5W-30 for winter use, just an idea. I had a 96 Miata years ago, too with same startup ticks after shut off all night. Never tried Mobil 1 0W-40, though.

FWIW, I've swapped back and forth between GC and PP 10w30 in my '00 GTI 1.8T, with no apparent ill effects. Fuel mileage is identical between the two.

Getting ready to make the switch to PP myself after using GC for awhile in my 03 Toyota Matrix with the 2ZZ. I'll be using up my last 5 qts in a month or so which will get me through the summer.

Originally Posted By: cosynthetics
Are you using the true 0w-30 GC that says "Made in Germany" on the back? You might have gotten some bottles that were made in the states instead.

I've never seen the U.S. made Castrol 0W-30 in Canada, only GC. So, I doubt Falcon147 has ever used anything but real GC.

Ive been using the real GC. Its a nice oil.

I do realize that PP is a little thinner than GC at operating temps.. So it may burn off a little more.

On the other hand.. i think (i could be wrong) but becuase its thinner it may help "pump" up the lifters so there will not be any tick.

Honestly i got lucky with the car the lifters have not been very bad at all. it just happens occasionally.

Im probabaly going to try the PP can't hurt for a summer if I dont like it ill go back to GC next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back