Friend of mine damaged his transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
When we were that age, we had to rebuild 'em ourselves if we wanted something to ride. Borrowing Dad's car was like asking to borrow a Ming vase.

I wish I had a Lincoln for a first car.

If the boy has to pay for the repairs out of his own pocket, or make them himself, then he'll learn the lesson quick. Just like we did.

quote:

Originally posted by Volvohead:
When we were that age, we had to rebuild 'em ourselves if we wanted something to ride. Borrowing Dad's car was like asking to borrow a Ming vase.

oh man I hear that!!!!!
lol.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Bill in Utah:

quote:

Originally posted by Drew_Shev:
He paid for the car fully with his own money. He isn't a dangerous driver, no one can deny when they were young they did some stupid stuff in their car. But yeah I suspected he at least sevrely damaged his torque converter too. He told me he is going to hear from the mechanic tonight.

I can deny it.
grin.gif

I've had to pay for everything I've ever had and since I want to have nice things that last, I take care of them.

That means not beating the **** out of your vehicle like above.

Even if he did pay for it out of his pocket, he does not understand having respect and being responsible for owning a car.

I'm sure that his driving style is safe out there on the public roads too.
spaz.gif

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Best post I've read in quite a while.
cheers.gif

I think the problem here is a lack of parental guidance. He probably wasn't trying to wreck the transmission. He was probably just trying to do a burnout and didn't actually know how to. His parents should have shown him how to operate an automatic transmission, and that includes proper auto trans burnouts and launches by holding the brake and accelerator simultaneously!

I once saw a boy accidentially drop the hydromatic on a '66 Caprice into park while the car was doing 35. The car kept moving, but I doubt the locking pawl survived that one.

I was in a rush one time and unintentionally did a neutral drop on my '79 Caprice. I wound up popping the front U-joint. Thank the Lord that's all it was.

Sounds like it's time for him to learn how to work on a car,
wink.gif

On another note, I've read old Hot Rod and Car Craft Magazines from the 60's. Sometimes these guys would test cars in the 1/4 mile by neutral dropping the launch.
shocked.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Volvohead:
I once saw a boy accidentially drop the hydromatic on a '66 Caprice into park while the car was doing 35. The car kept moving, but I doubt the locking pawl survived that one.

I did that once in a '71 full sized Ford. It made a very loud ratchet sound and finally jerked to a stop when the pawl dropped into the slot. Pawl survived.

Somehow manual trannies do that stuff better. Had an Impala three-on-the-tree with a 327, probably made somewhere between 275, or 300 HP. Put it in first, got my toe out on the edge of the pedal and popped it at about 5000 rpm. ZZZZZZZoooom, lots of smoke, probably laid a single-tire patch 200 feet before it caught. Bleach burnouts were even better!

My 66 Charger with a 727 automatic was way different. You held the brake as lightly as possible to keep the front brake locked but allow the rears to spin. Add a little bleach and it was good to go..

The Yamaha VMax was even better. Hold the front brake, wind her up and ease out the clutch and that thang would blister the rear tire with a resulting tremendous cloud of smoke..

Priceless! LOTS of giggles!
laugh.gif

Quote:

So Drew, what's up with that Lincoln ?? What was leaking ??

I'm not sure as my friend never told me too many details and I was never able to take a look. I am going to assume it was the torque converter though. His mechanic ended up finding a replacement transmission in a junkyard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back