Friend blew up his car today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on starter mounting... If it's mounted to the block should be possible, if starter is on bellhousing, it's not happening...

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
He said that he was driving fast to get back from lunch and he "missed a gear" then he heard a loud popping noise, the car shook and then just grinding. He pulled over and stopped the car and called me.

So I'm guessing he was pretty late getting back from lunch?

Ouch, sounds like a classic money shift mistake. Probably way over revved, maybe he will get lucky and the motor will be ok.

Last edited:
I expect the engine is fine, the transaxle is broken, and it doesn't matter whether or not the clutch is damaged because you'd have to place very little value on your time to fix this car and leave the old clutch set in it.

It may be the beer replacing the functionality of an actual memory talking but I think you have a three shaft trans and an internal slave in this car. That pressing the clutch pedal down makes the shifter move tells me that, at best, the input shaft is walking all over the place and at worst the housing is busted. Expect internal trans damage. You may be able to repair it, but be prepared to put a complete unit in should that be the most cost effective repair.

I stand by my original position. He broke something and it'll be just fine once you fix it.

What oil was he using? This is my way of asking why this is posted here instead of in the mechanical section.

I would say he grenaded the clutch. BTW,what does "IIRC" mean?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Originally Posted By: exranger06
IIRC = If I remember correctly

Cool, thanks man!
grin.gif

Yeah,thanx.Pretty soon I will post with all abbreviations.
lol.gif

A friend of mine called me this afternoon and asked me to pick him up and take a look at his car. He has a 2005 Chevy Cobalt with a 2.2L 4cyl and a 5-speed. It has 136K miles. He said that he was driving fast to get back from lunch and he "missed a gear" then he heard a loud popping noise, the car shook and then just grinding. He pulled over and stopped the car and called me. I came out there and took a look under the hood. No parts sticking out.
21.gif
When I pushed the clutch in it would not depress all the way to the floor. About half way down it would stop and I could feel movement in the gear shift. The stick was moving slightly when i was pushing the clutch in. After some debate, we started the car up, HOLY COW! terribad noises coming from the front of the car. I shut it down fast and the noises stopped, but it sounded like the engine compartment was being fed through a wood chipper. We had the car towed to my house, it's in the driveway.

Is this flywheel or clutch failure? Has anyone experienced this before? I can only assume that it's clutch, and that's what I told him. I would like to have a better idea of what the heck happened before I go taking it apart.

That to me sounds like a woodchipper problem.

Is this flywheel or clutch failure? Has anyone experienced this before? I can only assume that it's clutch, and that's what I told him. I would like to have a better idea of what the heck happened before I go taking it apart.

On a serious note, my Bravada made those noises after the flywheel busted off. Happened during acceleration on a cold morning. Sounded like a lawnmower being murdered. Not quite a woodchipper sound but it was horrible and almost made me cry to say the least. It went to the junkyard after that, R.I.P.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
IIRC = If I remember correctly

I thought it was "If I recall", but yours sounds more right.

Destroyed his clutch. Happened all the time when I used to watch idiots race their subcompacts on the tracks...

"VROOOOM.... Boing!" (Car starts rolling slowly).

Originally Posted By: AdRock
If the clutch looks ok, the inside of the tranny probably doesn't.

If the clutch is toast, the inside of the trans is probably ok.

Cobalts with manual transmissions built in 04-07 are well known for having clutch issues.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: yonyon
He probably just broke something is all. Once you fix that it should be okay.

220px-Carnac.jpg

Well done, Carnac!

+2 on the clutch theory.

+3

How does a clutch question end up in the oil section?
confused.gif

This is what scares me about auto that encourage drivers to shifts such as my new Fit. I can't tell the proper way to shift it and worry about destroying the torque converter or the gears themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back