Fried my Fluke???

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hello,

I have a fluke 179, which I use for various projects.

Today, I think that I had the leads set up for a 400mA test configuration (max, IIRC), and set the meter to volts and tried to find battery voltage. Didnt work (duh!), and so I fixed which thing the leads were attached to - worked fine and still does.

However, after that, I tried to do a test of current later on, and I cannot get a DC current with my leads set up under the 400mA setting and 'mA' on the selector dial.

If I use the 10A fused connection and set the dial to 'A', then it works, and I get a reading.

I took the meter apart, and pulled the fuse for the low current test circuit. I used the ohmmeter to test for continuity, and the fuse checked out... Id think that if I had blown the fuse, that it would check out as infinite resistance.

Also, it should be noted that when doing loose checks of current draw on my battery, I usually see a small spark at hookup. The size depends on how careful and direct I am. With the leads and setting on 10A, I see that small spark. With the leads on the 400mA setting, I dont see a spark. So it seems that there is an issue with my low current channel. But what? If the fuse checks out, then what next?

Did I kill the channel somehow?

Thanks,

JMH

Last edited:
I haven't been inside of a Fluke model 179, but I think my Fluke 83 has two current fuses, one for the 10A range and a smaller, more easily blown fuse for the mA function. See if you don't have another fuse lurking somewhere around the battery slot.

i tested the low-current fuse for continuity, and it checked out.

I suppose it would be smart to stick the 10A fuse in the 400mA circuit and do a short test with a known draw (like on my car) to doubly verify...

Thanks,

JMH

Sometimes a fuse will test fine with an ohmmeter, but fail in circuit. Ask me how I know. On second thought, don't, still gets me mad. =-)

Alex.

Originally Posted By: GMGuy
Sometimes a fuse will test fine with an ohmmeter, but fail in circuit. Ask me how I know. On second thought, don't, still gets me mad. =-)

Alex.

This would be my guess as well. My thought is that continuity test doesn't draw significant current. The continuity through the fuse could be through a micro-hair of fuse material. I would likely try a replacement fuse of the correct amperage and see if this clears things up.

If that doesn't solve your problem, I would move to troubleshooting moving parts (few though they may be on this unit). I am not familiar with your multimeter, but if it has a dial for selecting between modes, I would take that apart and see that the contacts are clean and un-obstructed.

If that doesn't solve your problem, then you are stuck with non-moving parts. A friend of mine recovered non-functioning no-moving-parts computer peripherals (like monitors) with 1/2 to 2/3 success by simply opening the unit up and touching a soldering iron to each soldered connection. His theory was that soldered connections especially on pcb's can crack leading to unreliability or failure. He had pretty good luck with that.

I like those fluke units, and almost bought one but opted for a more inexpensive (yet still decent quality) in a Wavetek. I haven't had any trouble with mine in about 10 years of light use.

Hopefully you can resolve this. Let us know how you make out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back