Fluke meter recommendations

That's what I meant, the 325 clamp-on meter that can measure DC current. I have used it countless times to measure parasitic battery drain and the current on many individual circuits on my cars. Like how much the electric fan is drawing, lights, fuel pump, or even the starter current and you can measure the in-rush current of the starter using the min/max record function along with voltage drops. Tells you all you need to know. Every electrical issue comes down to ohms law. Volts, current, and resistance, which a good meter can solve.
If you understand the relationship of the 3.

Last edited:
If you want a middle of the range fluke that has good features for house and auto while still being able to do some electronic stuff the Fluke 179 does well. That was the first DMM I bought when starting out as an electrician and it has served me well. Great range and accuracy and decent speed on readings.

The specialized high end meters people have been talking about have a limited range of use even if they have the features. They compromise in places making them not truly all purpose. I have a 789 and a 1587 at work and they are only really worth using for their main feature. I have had almost all of the ones mention other than the clamp meters at one point or another. The ones that got grabbed for general troubleshooting issues are my 179 87v and not the 289.

If you want a middle of the range fluke that has good features for house and auto while still being able to do some electronic stuff the Fluke 179 does well. That was the first DMM I bought when starting out as an electrician and it has served me well. Great range and accuracy and decent speed on readings.

The specialized high end meters people have been talking about have a limited range of use even if they have the features. They compromise in places making them not truly all purpose. I have a 789 and a 1587 at work and they are only really worth using for their main feature. I have had almost all of the ones mention other than the clamp meters at one point or another. The ones that got grabbed for general troubleshooting issues are my 179 87v and not the 289.
What does the Fluke 179 have that the 117 does not have?

What does the Fluke 179 have that the 117 does not have?
Accuracy, display precision, range and speed of reading. The 179 will be more suited to in depth troubleshooting and electronics. I have either an older 117 or a 115 at work and it is just ok for a meter. I much prefer my 179 over the other one but I also have more time using the 179.

Again the 117 is perfectly fine for what you are wanting but if troubleshooting more in depth the 179 is a much better option in my opinion. Almost all of my life as an electrician has been spent troubleshooting and repairing in large industry sometimes on an in depth scale due to the age and avaliablility of replacement for the equipment with limited resources. I made a lot of good diagnosis based on knowing the capabilities and limitations of my test equipment but it is all still an opinion. Plus the 117 didn't exist 20 years ago when I bought my 179.

I see a Fluke 117 DVM and 323 clamp-on meter for $380 with case. I have several DVM already but not a Fluke DVM. (I have a Fluke network cable tester. That was $$Fluke$$ dollars).

My question: is the Fluke 117 a decent Fluke DVM or on the basic end of things?

In my experience as an electrician, all fluke meters are good quality with proven safety. However, they are very expensive and as a result I suggest that you go to the Fluke web site and compare the meter’s best suited to your requirements.

If you are not involved in electronics work, then an electrician’s meter is all you need. A meter that reads temperature is very useful so think about that.

Two meters are always a good idea in case one meter starts to give false information. (this can happen)

Fluke DMMs are a good investment. I've seen some Flukes being sold at ebay the same value of it's original retail price 20 years or so ago.

Last edited:
Fluke DMMs are a good investment. I've seen some Flukes being sold at ebay the same value of it's original retail price 20 years or so ago.
To be fair, I think we've all seen stuff sold on Ebay for money it isn't worth. ;) But yes, Flukes seem to be "buy once, cry once" sort of thing. I'd rather have than not, moreso if I didn't foot the bill. :)

Still considering the Fluke 117 but probably don't want the combo with the 323 as if I want a clamp-on amp meter I want one that is both AC/DC.

I also need to gather up all the various DVM and clamp-on meters I have. Still have not located all the ones I have since my move almost two years ago.

Keysight U1273A is my favorite meter. I like most of the Agilent/Keysights over the Flukes.

Long subject, but the super cheap meters like the free HF meters have no CAT safety rating for higher voltage. For example, if you tried to check the 240V mains on your house and had the meter accidently set on ohms or amps, you would have a huge arc-flash explosion blowing up in your face. They are only safe for about 12 volts regardless of what it says on the dial.

Long subject, but the super cheap meters like the free HF meters have no CAT safety rating for higher voltage. For example, if you tried to check the 240V mains on your house and had the meter accidently set on ohms or amps, you would have a huge arc-flash explosion blowing up in your face. They are only safe for about 12 volts regardless of what it says on the dial.
Completely agree. Many cheap and some mid-range meters do not meet their stated cat rating.

For people with little electrical knowledge this is a real trap. Always purchase a meter with third part approvals such as CSA, UL, TÜV and ETL/Intertek.

Probably the most important thing about using any meter is a having a basic understanding of OHM's law, and the relationship between volts, amps, and ohms. It is always the key to any electrical problem. Knowing how to read and use the meter is the next step.

Completely agree. Many cheap and some mid-range meters do not meet their stated cat rating.

For people with little electrical knowledge this is a real trap. Always purchase a meter with third part approvals such as CSA, UL, TÜV and ETL/Intertek.
Where would you think a Klein meter would be? Meet the stated cat reading?

Back