Fluke meter recommendations

My 87 is rated at 1000V Cat III, 600V Cat IV, and the 325 is rated at 600V Cat III and 300V Cat IV, which would be the minimum rating to check circuits in a breaker panel.

Attachments

• image (1).jpeg
    image (1).jpeg
    149.3 KB · Views: 8
Late reply but I bought an 89-IV close to 20 years ago. Still works like new, and I use the logging function alot. You can graph 24hr events and makes it helpful for troubleshooting.

I believe the 289 is the current successor, pricey but these meters are worth their price.

Coming from a family of electricians, I've used every meter known to man. My brother will not use anything but Fluke, but lately he's had to admit that there are more functional brands that don't cost an arm and a leg. Yes, we've heard all the "I would trust my life to anything but Fluke", and in the really cheap meters, that's a valid argument. However, in some other brands like Klein, UEI, Fieldpiece and others there are some great meters that are every bit as safe as a Fluke and have far more functionality. So, I wouldn't get hung up on the Fluke hype, especially for diy around the house use.

I have a couple of Ideal meters that seem to work good. One is a clamp meter. I also have a Craftsman Professional meter that has quite a few functions. It was one of the last versions made before Sears went out of business.

I had a 789 Process meter that I used 25 years before failing.I replaced it last year.I have an 8020 and an 87v at home. All of them fine equipment. I think the average guy who needs a good meter that’s safe could use a 117 with good accuracy. The cat iii or iiii rating is important if you’re going to be working on circuits over 110vac. Cat iii would be minimum. I opened up a Harbor Freight cheepee and would not be comfortable using it for anything other than low voltage testing. There are protections built into a quality product that these don’t have. B&K Precision, Sencore, and Hewlet Packard had good gear back years ago, but I don’t see their products out there anymore. HP I believe is now Agilent Technologies. I’m not familiar enough with their equipment.

Back