RIP: Dewalt 5AH XR Battery

cptbarkey

$50 site donor 2024
I have anywhere from 6-10 projects going at once and often have messy working areas. Sometimes there are victims. The latest victim was a Dewalt 5AH XR Battery that took a dip into 2 quarts of used diesel oil. Time slowed as it careened end over end and was completely immersed. I did manage to fish it out quickly, set it outside for 2 days to drip, brake cleaned it. The battery meter still lit and shows 1 bar. Opened to see the carnage and the batteries, circuit board and bits were lightly covered. It lived a hard life chopping cedar, and will live again after recycling. RIP.

1702399355844.jpg

1702399406274.jpg

1702399463979.jpg

That seems like something I would do!!! Or, more correctly, would happen to me.

A bit hard to tell, but I'm fairly sure those are 18650's in that pack, correct?

A bit hard to tell, but I'm fairly sure those are 18650's in that pack, correct?

I'm not sure of the battery type, but they have been extremely reliable. Buying 2 more to replace soon.

Reactions: JC1
I have some DeWalt 20V batteries from 2012 that still work fine. I bought two knock off 20Vs that started oozing within a month, then pooped the bed completely. Waste of money!

OF all my REAL batteries, I did have one die, DeWalt just wanted a picture and they sent a new one no other questions. I keep my batteries in a place with not much temperature swing and pretty constant humidity. I think that helps a little but not relevant to the used oil test!

My knock off Milwaukee 12V batteries are king of knock offs honestly. Waitley branded I think

For a replacement try one of the Power Stacks. I'm a believer now with 2 little 1.7's and one beast 5.0, they are really good.

Back