Fridge problem

I've got a refrigerator question for you folks. My 20 yr old Frigidaire double door gets cold on the freezer side, but is warm on the fridge side. I don't know much about fridges but I did some basic checks. I can hear the compressor running, coils underneath are clean, adjusting the temp dial doesn't do anything, and the the freezer fan is running.

Last night, I tried a classic "fix": Unplugged it for a few hours and plugged it back in. And now it's working again! Don't know how long this will last but what do you guys think is going on??

Defrost timer probably stop working normally there in the bottom panel below the doors freezer side should have a knob that turns. Google your fridge model # for part so you can see what itlooks like.

The coil is frozen. I have a fridge I have to defrost every 3 weeks for this exact issue. I take off the freezer back, put a space heater in there for 3 hours, and melt the frozen coil.

Reactions: JC1
Either the timer, or more likely the defrost element. They are a common failure point and not terribly expensive or hard to replace.

Couple different kinds depending on the fridge:

That's one of the more invasive to replace. There's another style that mounts at the bottom.

Might be low on refrigerant, which causes the coils to freeze and makes it run warm. Unplugging makes it defrost and it can cool back down.

The coil is frozen and getting plugged with ice/frost. This does not permit air flow to the refrigerator section.
Either the timer, or more likely the defrost element. They are a common failure point and not terribly expensive or hard to replace.

Couple different kinds depending on the fridge:
There is also the possibility of the disc thermostat being bad, in addition to the two above quoted items. I had that happen once too.

Great info, fellas. Next time it stops working, I'll check out the things you all mentioned.

Back