Free oil changes...dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought a new Scion xA for my wife as a daily driver. At 500 miles I changes the oil out for Mobile 1 5w-30 and a Pure 1 filter. The engine was silky smooth, and pretty quiet for a four banger. I was getting ready to change the oil again at 5200 miles when my wife pointed out that Scion offers the first three oil changes for free! Here is the dilema...

We took it in for its change. They used a Toyota filter (ok with this) and Valvoline 5w-30 oil (here is the problem). At first I thought we would just change it out right at 3000 miles and have no problem. That was before I drove it. The engine is now noticably louder and produces more vibration.

I asked my wife what she thought of the service as she had taken the care in. She commented that all the guys were really nice, and went on about how great she was treated, and then through in something extra. She asked my why her little baby was a lot louder and buzzed more. Now remember she is car-illeterate, and doesn't know much beyond put gas in and go. So, at least I know I am not the only one who noticed this.

My question is...is there something I could add to the oil to get the benifit of the free oil changes that would help me feel better about the add pack in valvoline, and as a side, maybe quiet down the engine a little. Otherwise I may have to skip the last three freebies, and go back to Mobile 1. I remember some little Valvoline or STP or similar that was actually worth something according to the guys on this site, but I can't remember.

Ps. I would like to be able to find it locally and easily.

I would add the Valvoline Synpower, thats probably your best bet if you are looking for something you can get locally. It between 3-4 bucks with lots of Moly. Cant say if it would quiet the thing up though.

Eric

quote:

Could be it is just loosening up a bit after the initial 'break-in' miles..

I really doubt it. My wife and I both noticed the same day as the oil change. There was absolutely a before and after feel.

Use the valvoline and add a molamix to it. LC at about 1 ounce per qt capacity and about 6 ounces of Schaeffers #132 moly EP add.

3 to 6 ounces of Auto-RX could be used also to help boost the free oil a bit.

If you think the dealer oil changes are causing problems, dump the oil and go back to what you were using and see if it clears up. A few bucks isn't worth it if your not happy.

Dude. Bring your own oil and cut a deal. Or blow off the free oil changes. You chose Mobil 1 for a reason. A few bucks for an oil change is not one of them.
Sorry, but I think your being myoptic.

quote:

Originally posted by salesrep:
Dude. Bring your own oil and cut a deal. Or blow off the free oil changes.

Blowing them off is a good idea. Oil changers tend to put whatever they are used to using in cars when they change oil. It's real easy for them to make a mistake. Happened to me at least twce in about 30,000 miles when I was having my oil changed in my truck. They were honest mistakes, but still mistakes.

Bag it and just put in the good stuff yourself.
cool.gif

I ran Valvoline for the first 22k in my Tacoma. And didn't think twice about it with 3k mile oci's. You can do a couple of things to ease your mind. The Synpower or LC options are quite good in my opinion. It's a brand new motor and Toyota motors usually take a long time to break in well (8-10k before my gas mileage started improving) and to be honest DOHC Toyota engines are normally quite noisy.
If it bothers you just dump the oil and put in what you felt better with. What's 3 free oilchanges compared to your piece of mind? It will outlast your desire to own it regardless.

The FREE dilemma --
mad.gif
I hate it too. My Dad got a free first oil change with his Infiniti FX35. I then remembered how tight the drain plug is and how much I hated taking it off afterwards. So I bagged it.

3 free oil changes? Ouch... glad I'm not the one who has to make that choice
tongue.gif
Too bad it's not a 2 year lease
grin.gif

Interesting that the oil change increased noise and vibration.

I've been running dino, once change at 2k, then to Mobile1 at 5k.

But, I noticed my 05 Corolla is noisy and has a lot of vibration.

Maybe I'll take that dino crap out and put Mobile1 in now...

Let us know if you do change your oil and if it has an effect on the engine!

Don't feel bad about saying no to the free oil changes...Fairfield Auto, where I bought my Rolla, offers free oil changes every 5000 miles for five years with the purchase of the new car. Unless those free oil changes are using Mobile1 and a genuine Toyota filter, I'm not gonna do it...
grin.gif

G

Every brand will have a different addative package and hence, different engine sound characteristics. Either ignore it and go for the free oil changes....or dump it and go back to what you were using before....

Not that I've ever had a new car, even less so one with free oil changes. But I think if I ever was in such a situation I would try to get the filters out of them so I could do the job myself with the oil of my choice.

Has anyone done this? Are stealerships amenable to this type of deal?

Bogatyr

quote:

Is "Mobile" 1 made down in Alabama?

Maybe...maybe not. But its a new top secret oil that is 10x better than the old crappy Mobil 1 without the secret E additive.

Or...

ya got me...I'm a no spellin engineer who needs to take more time typing and proof reading.

In this context, "free" is an illusion. You want to use Mobil-1. What they offer isn't what you want, so what's its real value to you? Now how impressive is "free"? Either follow Terry Dyson's advice about boosting the oil or, if boosting isn't what you want, just skip the "free" stuff and put the oil you value into your car.
cheers.gif

Not much is going to happen in 3000 miles unless they are pure city miles. Valvoline is fine, it just gets bashed since it costs as much or more than a premium dino oil but does not have quite the specs. I use the dealer for my intial free changes also, I am running Valvoline 5W30 in a WRX (turbo) every 5000 miles (nearly pure highway).

My previous Honda had Valvoline every 4k and mostly Frams and was sold problem free in engine at 210k. I drive mainly highway miles however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back