FRAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stevie, I know you weren't saying anything bad about them. My answer to you was in the first sentence. The rest of my thoughts were just for BITOGers in general. I am currently using an Extended Guard on my truck and my wife's car to see how they do. $8 for a filter with semi-synthetic media and a steel mesh screen behind the media for support is about as good as it gets IMO and I can walk right into Wally and buy it along with Mobil Delvac for my truck or Castrol 5w-20 for the Element. We'll see when the test run is done.

cheers3.gif
Ok...
grin2.gif

I used them on my '86 cavalier, '80 malibu, and '93 tempo. Never had a problem with the motors that was due to the filter. Just a poorly treated engine before I got each car, so the damage had been done. I just tried to keep them going as best I could. I don't miss the '86, but would have liked to have been able to replace the motor and rear frame rails on the Malibu. That was the last car I owned that had real bumpers.
frown.gif

A while back I asked if anyone had a cut open OLD Bendix Fram filter and someone did! Guess what? Its made the SAME WAY as it is today. Funny though, back then, FRAM was considered the cats Meow.

I have used them on my companies Honda Element, with Synthetic oil as we rack up thousands of miles in a short time. I use 5w-20 and usually a Fram Filter tough guard or better.. No problems that I can see..

Then again there ARE questions that I may never get the answer to. For example:

IS the wear that is happening to my engine doing so at a greater/faster rate and larger quantity that I can actually measure it because I used a Fram filter instead of lets say , a WIX? Thats almost impossible to ever find out. You would need to run identical vehicles, identical miles with identical conditions/drivers etc.

Each brand of vehicle is different. Toyota's may last longer than Dodges no matter what filter you use. Some cars are built so poorly with cheap materials, it wouldn't matter if you ran Amsoil oil as well as filters and was meticulous in your care, they would still die much younger than other cars

Originally Posted By: peterdaniel
IS the wear that is happening to my engine doing so at a greater/faster rate and larger quantity that I can actually measure it because I used a Fram filter instead of lets say , a WIX? Thats almost impossible to ever find out. You would need to run identical vehicles, identical miles with identical conditions/drivers etc.

Generally the beef isn't with the filtering ability of the Fram cans its with how cheaply they're put together and then sold for more than better made filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back