Fram Xtended Guard vs. PureOne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which filter do you think is best for a 10k run in a 2007 Mustang GT the Fram Xtended Guard or the Purolator PureOne? Here are the specs of the car

2007 Mustang GT
4.6 24v V8
5-speed Manual Trans
750 miles/month
M1 0w-20 AFE Oil
MC FL820S Filter

I'd say its a toss up. Although, if youre not pushing your drain intervals, the P1 might be a better value.

Fram haters be-darned, there is NOTHING wrong with the Extended guard. Its almost overkill in most applications. Very solid.

Without a doubt, Fram Extended Guard.

The Fram XG is actually designed for longer service intervals and is likely to have greater capacity.

The Pureone was strictly designed for OEM service intervals and therefore, theoretically, will have a greater chance of clogging when used beyond the recommended interval.

Originally Posted By: ryan2022

Fram haters be-darned, there is NOTHING wrong with the Extended guard.

yes they are.... BUT you can get a just as good P1 cheaper.

the fram extended guard can hold 26 grams while the pureone can hold 13. however the pure one has a 99.9% efficiency while the fram extended guard only has 97%.... according to the boxes.
if i had to pick, i'd choose the pureone for the 10k run

Last edited:
Neither the Motorcraft 820S you already use is probably the best filter there is for that motor.
10K should be no issue for it.

Last edited:
I too like the 820 s but the overall efficincy isn't all that great. I have run the 820 for 10k but my insolubles dropped .2 when I went to P1

Quote:
The fram extended guard is sturdyer. Thicker can, designed for long drains.
I didn't know the thickness of the can had anything to do with the recommended OCI of the filter. I thought it had to do with burst strength. That said, I've never had an issue with any oil filter bursting, rupturing or becoming misshapened due to filter pressure. I suppose it could be an issue in a racing application, not likely a significant difference in standard vehicle application.

IMO, and according to Puro, the P1 can easily handle a 10k OCI. Fram touts the same for the Xtended Guard. Price, P1 ~$4.75 at Amazon $5-6 elsewhere vs ~ $8 for the Xtended Guard. With P1's 99.9% efficiency, XG's not worth the price premium to me.

The Motorcraft FL-820 S is also a sturdy well made filter, and a great value at ~$3.64, but it's only rated 80% efficient. I must say though, having cut one open that would seem to be a lowball figure.

If I was going 10,000 miles, Id use the Fram X gard. I use nothing but Purolator filters, but Iam not a big believer in extended oil changes. A long oil change interval for me is 5,000 miles. If you were doing that, I think the Motorcraft 820s would be the best filter too.

Well i have to say ever since i joined bitog i had a change of heart about fram filters, but the extended guard in my opinion is one of the best. Purolator Pure one is also one of the best. My conclusion get em both and try them out and see what you like. I like em both

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back