Fram Ultra (XG) oil filters (any reviews?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering if anyone has dissected a FRAM Ultra filter to see how they are put together?
My last 2 oil changes I have taken one to my dealer along with my own Mobil 1 oil. I just looked under my truck ('12 2500 6.7 Cummins) 1500 miles after this 2nd change and discovered they have installed a MOPAR filter instead. Also now makes me wonder if they used my Mobil 1 or the Pennzoil they stock.

Originally Posted By: John_G
Just wondering if anyone has dissected a FRAM Ultra filter to see how they are put together?
My last 2 oil changes I have taken one to my dealer along with my own Mobil 1 oil. I just looked under my truck ('12 2500 6.7 Cummins) 1500 miles after this 2nd change and discovered they have installed a MOPAR filter instead. Also now makes me wonder if they used my Mobil 1 or the Pennzoil they stock.

So do you still have the fram filter or did they keep it? If the kept it you need to chew their butts and find a different dealer.

Fram XG Ultra oil filters are about the best you can get.
Filter the best, hold the most dirt before clogging, have an internal wire screen mesh backing of the all-synthetic filter media. It doesn't get any better than that.
As for dissection, I've seen a few and nothing is all that interesting. http://fram.com/oil-filters/fram-ultra-synthetic-oil-filter.aspx has a picture from the box and an animation to show construction details. Google the terms: fram ultra oil filter cut open

I just took off an XG2 from my 2002 4.6L (3K miles on VWB), the first time I've used one on it. Prior to this it was PP1, Fram EG/TG, or MC FL820S. Quite surprised at how heavy the filter is 24 hrs after draining. It weighs 2X to 3X what a new one does. Yet the PP1 from the previous oil change is as light as a new one. I'll get any remaining oil out of this XG2 in the June summer sun and then see how much material it's holding. Maybe my 4.6L has been circulating a lot of particles than those other filters wouldn't take out. I'm glad I didn't try to go a 2nd OCI on this XG2 filter.

Short of a Stratapore Venturi, the Ultra is up there in toughness & filtering ability. They're hard to cut open, the metal media backing will cut through skin, gloves, etc. You need to tear a service manager a new one, they've ripped you off big time.

Hopefully it was really Pennzoil they stock most of these dealers are called Stealers for a reason.
Honestly maybe they saw the word fram and did not know that the ultra is their good filter and thought they were looking out for you. Or Maybe they knew the Fram was good and liked the Mobil one (i prefer Pennzoil) and decided to keep it for their personal use...Who knows generally i would not trust them. The mopar is a tearolator.
Come to think of it maybe they just did not think!

This is a new low for an authorized dealer
mad.gif

Do a search and you will find a few XG2s that I have dissected including a virgin one and a few with 15,000 to 17,000 miles on them. For the money, there is no other filter that comes close.

HaHaHa.. A new low for a car dealer is there such a thing most seem to strive to be the lowest of the low and most of them are really good at it.
Most of them are happy when they can rip everyone off when they have someone who knows their game they don't like that as much. This is very true with 95% of them although there are a very few honest ones.
Authorized could be an attractive word that means they are trained to steal.. lol

I was going to jump in and say why don't you make a post asking if crown victorias are good cars; then i saw your a brand new member. (People worship Crown Victorias and Fram XG filters here)

Welcome! Fram XG are a great way to go.

start changing your own oil maybe? not that hard... do the jiffy lube hidden camera thing?? It sucks when you cant trust the dealer for an oil change but they usually put the newest employee on oil changes.. maybe he already got fired.

LoL ... sounds like someone at the dealership wanted the Ultra and gave you a Mopar instead.

They are great filters with top marks in efficiency and holding capacity. All Ultras are over 99.5% efficient at 20 microns and 80% @5 microns while holding capacity is up to 32 grams, basically the best filtration specs you can buy. They are also rated for 15,000 miles as well.

Here is one I cut open myself they are always build like a tank when I cut them open.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3766530/Fram_Ultra_3980_cut_open_13k+_

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Here is one I cut open myself they are always build like a tank when I cut them open.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3766530/Fram_Ultra_3980_cut_open_13k+_

If Cardboard end caps are so good, why aren't they used on this filter?

The Fram Ultra uses dual layers of synthetic microglass media with a steel screen in between, they need the thick steel end disc to form a deep well of adhesive to get a good seal on the media since the thick composition of two layers of media and a screen aren't cut precise and straight edge.

End discs do a simple job of directing the flow of oil and sealing the media as well as the bypass valve and interface of the adbv, this can be achieved many ways, whether it be fiber board, steel, plastisol adhesive or by sonic welding, as long as each filter is engineered correctly it doesn't really make difference and comparing one filter with fiber board to one with steel isn't an apples to apples comparison.

Motorking, the Fram tech person, said something about the steel end caps are needed to secure the stainless steel screen. It isn't just steel mesh, stainless is much better. There are pictures of the Ultra with the element debonding from a composite end cap on a cartridge filter. Whether that is common or a fluke who knows. I definitely am sold on them for my cars I maintain, until I find a reason not to be sold on them. There are other good filters, but not for the price,features and design I don't think.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream

If Cardboard end caps are so good, why aren't they used on this filter?

Cause of the steel mesh.

If cardboard is ok for the filter media why is it not ok for the end caps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back