FRAM Ultra Synthetic XG3614

Status
Not open for further replies.
pBase Photo Gallery Here

Manufactured ??? (No Date Code Found)
Application: 2007 Mazda MX-5 (Miata). 2.0l MZR engine
Installed on 20. August 2016 @ 112,436 miles.
Removed 19. November 2016 @ 117,696 miles
Ran for 5,260 miles with Mobil 1 Extended Performance Synthetic Motor oil, 5W20

Note: I've owned this car a year now. The filter is mounted vertically (open end up). I've been concerned with the dirt in the filter on previous filter changes, especially the dirt that's been at the bottom of the can. This filter shows very little. I attribute this to the detergent package in Mobil 1's synthetic motor oil. It's been doing it's job over the year of ownership (not that the oil has been in there a year! It's been changed every ~5K miles with a new filter).

I see nothing to complain about with this filter. Another great recommendation from this forum. Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Arved

the dirt that's been at the bottom of the can. This filter shows very little. I attribute this to the detergent package in Mobil 1's synthetic motor oil. It's been doing it's job over the year of ownership

Yup all of dirt, now time to establish a proper OCI!

I see nothing to complain about with this filter. Another great recommendation from this forum. Thanks guys!

And you won't see anything to complain about after 4 consecutive ocis of this length, now that the engine is cleaned up.

And thank YOU or sharing.

Originally Posted By: fxrider
Great filter, I use the 3614 on my Harley.. lol

1515 on mine (XG8A)
wink.gif
Fit's nicely, thread/pitch/gasket are identical, and it looks as disproportionate as everything else on the frame.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Arved said:
Yup all of dirt, now time to establish a proper OCI!

The owners manual recommends 7,500 miles or 5,000 miles depending on service condition. Time to switch to 7,500 miles, and check with a oil sample. Oil was looking a bit dark - not that that can be used as an indication. Still not ready (in my head) for 15K mile OCI, no matter what Mobil 1 and FRAM promise. Oil and filters aren't something I need or want to skimp on. The early MZRs (like mine) are prone to spun bearings. Avoiding that is my highest priority. I'm not eager to do a 2.5l swap (although it's cheaper than rebuilding the 2.0l)

But I digress...

Date code on Ultras are hard to see, because they are just etched into the paint. Need a good flashlight held at the right angle to see it. However, I've looked high and low for a date code on XG3600 filters and could never find it, so I'm wondering if maybe Fram doesn't put a date code on the Ultras anymore.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Date code on Ultras are hard to see, because they are just etched into the paint. Need a good flashlight held at the right angle to see it. However, I've looked high and low for a date code on XG3600 filters and could never find it, so I'm wondering if maybe Fram doesn't put a date code on the Ultras anymore.

The date code is present but it is very hard to see. Its laser printed on the side of the can. Check between the label.

Originally Posted By: Run
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

The date code is present but it is very hard to see. Its laser printed on the side of the can. Check between the label.

Like I said ... I've looked high and low. Even took the label off to see if it was under the label. Nowhere to be found ... and that was on 7 different XG3600 filters.

5k miles on an ultra?!

An Ultra is on for it's second OCI on the Honda. First OC was 6.5k miles, which is trending towards 13k miles for the filter change.

Good choice of filter though.

Originally Posted By: webfors
5k miles on an ultra?!

Owners manual calls for 5K and 7.5K OCIs, depending on service. Since I'm seeing stuff in the bottom of the filter at 5K, I feel confident changing the oil and filter at 5K with such a small filter. I may go to 7.5K in the next OCI now that things look to be cleaning up. I'd much more confident with a longer OCI if I had a stock intake. I'm not a fan of the K&N Apollo air cleaner that the previous owner installed, although I think it's a bit better design than the Mazdaspeed intake, which puts the filter cone right in front of the chin intake, where it'll get saturated with rain water. Dyno says there's nothing to be gained over a stock air cleaner in an MX-5 that isn't forced induction.

I don't see the logic in keeping a cup or so of dirty old oil in an oil change, saving the old filter. But if saving $9 every other oil change is that important to you, I'm not going to argue.

It's your money! I'm 1200 miles away from changing the XG3600 on the xB in my sig & cutting it open-it's on its' SECOND 10K OCI, for a total of 20K, running M1 5W30 EP.

Changed the oil and filter last weekend. Cut the filter open along with the previous one, and photographed them for your and my enjoyment:

FRAM XG3614 #2

Installed on 19. November 2016 @ 117,696 miles.
Removed 4. December 2016 @ 118,110 miles
Ran for 414 miles with Havoline Conventional Motor Oil, 5W20, and 24 oz. original Auto-RX

Auto-RX is a controversial product, that's supposed to gently clean the sludge from your engine. The controversy centers on it's efficacy, especially with aluminum block engines. I had noticed some sludge-like material in the bottom of my oil filters and in the filter media on previous oil changes, so I decided to give this a try. This is the original formula, about 10 years old, that I had stashed in my garage, and not the new formula. Directions are to add a 12 oz. bottle and run for 300 miles. Frank (the owner and inventor of this product) is adamant that a conventional oil be used. I won't go into it, but...

Notice the dirt in the bottom of the filter, and the small globule in the media?

FRAM XG3614 #3

Installed on 4. December 2016 @ 118,110 miles.
Removed 28. January 2017 @ 121,221 miles.
Ran for 3,111 miles with Havoline Conventional Motor Oil, 5W20 ("Rinse Cycle" for original Auto-RX")

Frank (same Frank as above - owner/inventor of Auto-RX) also suggests, in private correspondence, the use of conventional motor oil for a 3000 mile "rinse cycle" before resuming the use of synthetic oil.

Note the lack of dirt/sediment in the bottom of the filter can, and the lack of any globs of sludge in the filter element. I'll leave it to others to judge the efficacy of Auto-RX. Either Auto-RX worked, or the detergent package in Havoline Conventional Motor Oil isn't very good. I don't know. My mind will be made up in 5000 miles when I take off the current filter, used with my old standby, Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W20 (which has a very good detergent package - which is why I was seeing the dirt in the bottom of my filters, and sludge globules in the filter media that concerned me).

Also note that the Havoline Conventional Motor Oil I used meets recommended API SN service specificaion. Same as Mobil 1 Extended Performance Synthetic.

Questions and comments welcome. Note that my intent is to show the in-service state of these filters, and not to dredge up the Auto-RX controversy. The product I used is discontinued, and has no relation to the product currently offered, Auto-RX Plus. You may want to look at all 6 oil filters I've used so far since I bought my car (used) last October.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back