Fram Ultra synthetic two 5k mile OCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All Fram Ultras are 15k AFAIK, the old data should indeed be Xtended Guard leftovers.

Even the tiny XG3387A for my 3.1 is listed for 15,000 miles, and a big XG8A should have tons more capacity than that, albeit the engines may produce more junk than mine.

Let me put this to rest
All older Extended Guard filters are rated at 10kOCI's
All Ultra filters are good for 15k OCI's

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
Originally Posted By: badtlc

A $3.50 Motorcraft or $6 wix will go 15k easily, too. Not seeing any bang for the buck with the fram ultra.

That's nuts. Penny-wise and Pound-foolish, as is much of what I read on BITOG. Forego a Starbucks and protect your engine with a better filter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Motorking
Let me put this to rest
All older Extended Guard filters are rated at 10kOCI's
All Ultra filters are good for 15k OCI's

The guys at Fram who are taking care of the website need to update/change the info in the product pop-up window that comes up when someone clicks the "Features and Benefits" link.

The pop-ups for the Ultra still show the 10K mileage and only references the "Xtended Guard (XG)" which is confusing to readers. Obviously old info left over from the Xtended Guard before the Ultra came out.

http://www.framcatalog.com/PartDetail.aspx?b=F&pn=XG6607

http://www.framcatalog.com/FeaturesWindow.aspx?f=Fram/xtended guard.htm

I've never quite understood fully the 'mileage ratings' since I don't know what thats based on. I'd trust it if I knew they tried them out in taxis in dusty Vegas or Phoenix for 10k or 15k miles. Is that how it got that 'rating'?

Vegas would be an extreme climate for them. I understand what you mean but my car spends 90% of the time doing 75mph but it would be interesting...

If they followed the 3k mile OCI I think it would hold up well. Vegas is just to dusty for extended OCI in most cases

Originally Posted By: ElastoHydro
I've never quite understood fully the 'mileage ratings' since I don't know what thats based on. I'd trust it if I knew they tried them out in taxis in dusty Vegas or Phoenix for 10k or 15k miles. Is that how it got that 'rating'?

That's a good question, and I've wondered that myself. My best guess speculation is that the filter change interval is based on the holding capacity that was found in the IOS 4548-12 test, and the rate of debris generation by the engine is based on some kind of empirical data that either Fram or the automotive industry has obtained

I'm thinking there is is also some "safety factor" thrown in there too to account for some degree of worse case/abnormal conditions. Or maybe not since most will say "up to xxK miles" - meaning under the best conditions it will go to xxK miles. A lot can be read in to the words "up to".

Here is a synopsis of the ISO 4548-12 test.

========================

ISO 4548-12
-------------
Methods of test for full-flow lubricating oil filters for internal combustion engines -- Part 12: Filtration efficiency using particle counting, and contaminant retention capacity.

This part of ISO 4548 specifies a multi-pass filtration test with continuous contaminant injection and using the online particle counting method for evaluating the performance of full-flow lubricating oil filters for internal combustion engines.

The test procedure determines the contaminant capacity of a filter, its particulate removal characteristics and differential pressure.

This test is intended for application to filter elements having a rated flow between 4 l/min and 600 l/min and with an efficiency of less than 99 % at a particle size greater than 10 microns."
=========================

How is it a good bang-for-the-buck? The Ultra is an expensive filter.

The XG3614 Fram ULTRA (for my 03' Focus) costs under $9 at WalMart....and for those who do shorter OCI's (5K to 7.5K).....it can be used twice (except for BlueOval of course).... since its guaranteed for 15K.

Construction is top-notch, effeciency excellent, double synthetic wire-backed media. IMO, there is not a better filter out there.

A $3.50 Motorcraft or $6 wix will go 15k easily, too. Not seeing any bang for the buck with the fram ultra.

IMO....that would be pushing it on both of those filters

How is it a good bang-for-the-buck? The Ultra is an expensive filter.

The XG3614 Fram ULTRA (for my 03' Focus) costs under $9 at WalMart....and for those who do shorter OCI's (5K to 7.5K).....it can be used twice (except for BlueOval of course).... since its guaranteed for 15K.

Construction is top-notch, effeciency excellent, double synthetic wire-backed media. IMO, there is not a better filter out there.

IMO....that would be pushing it on both of those filters
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
What oil did you use for the 8800 mile OCI? Did you get a UOA? Even if you were going 8~10K OCI, I'd still use the FU due to it's excellent efficiency and there would no worries about it loading up at 10K.

1) Pennzoil Synthetic Blend 5W30
2) No UOA
3) My mind is made up. Next OCI will be done with a FU, even if I choose to go 5K miles on it.

Doing a 5K OCI on a Fram ULTRA....is IMO.... OVERKILL

For 5K's....just use a Motorcraft. Its a fine filter for just 5K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back