Fram Ultra Synthetic Filter - Anyone have double gasket issues.

With OG Ultra XG7317 I've used, I've not had any issues with the sealing gasket being left on the engine mounting surface. As noted though, checking and wiping the mounting surface should be SOP for any competent installer. No way a left gasket should go unnoticed.

Now if you want to talk about trying to remove any Fram with 'sure grip' with a fitted cap wrench, that's another story.

How do you think they're attached currently ? They use an adhesive (i.e. "glue") but they will use a very minimal amount to avoid the issue you mention.
I have never seen any oil filter that uses glue on the base gasket. I remove the base gasket and clean the groove and gasket, then reinstall the gasket. Yes, I have found debris in the groove on some filters, especially the old yellow PureOne that had lots of yellow grip paint over spray in the gasket groove.

I have not but the XG6607 I just pulled off my Mazda 626 2.0 was empty after sitting on the rack to drain the engine oil during lunch. I think that means the drain back failed on it. Thankfully it's a small filter and my engine is fairly healthy at almost 200k miles. Filter had A1109 2 or 3 on it, hard to read the last digit. I think I might go back to Purolator, I never had a dry filter with them before.

Attachments

• 20220126_141459.jpg
    20220126_141459.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220126_141521.jpg
    20220126_141521.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 14
I have not but the XG6607 I just pulled off my Mazda 626 2.0 was empty after sitting on the rack to drain the engine oil during lunch. I think that means the drain back failed on it. Thankfully it's a small filter and my engine is fairly healthy at almost 200k miles. Filter had A1109 2 or 3 on it, hard to read the last digit. I think I might go back to Purolator, I never had a dry filter with them before.
Whatever next. I've never had one empty out and be "dry" no matter what, the media retains a lot of oil regardless of the valve.

Whatever next. I've never had one empty out and be "dry" no matter what, the media retains a lot of oil regardless of the valve.
I attached a picture of the inside, I know the media holds a lot of oil. I just didn't expect this after a 5k mile OCI for such a 'premium' marketed and priced filter. The 'technician' grade Purolator TL filters we stock have never been empty and I've pulled hundreds off in the 15 years I've been here. Not even the crappy Valvoline branded e-core filters and off brand Prime Guard filters. This is my first experience with an empty filter on this car, the other car has a filter that hangs down so I'm not worried about it and will keep using these because otherwise they seem good. I'll see how the filter comes off the 16 Escape I put a Fram on when it's due, but my Mazda will go back to Purolator.
In general I rarely see filters with failed drain back so this is kind of a stand out to me. I expected my hot oil bath since the filter is 1/2 way up the back of the engine. Picture of the inside it had sat opening up still warm on my box for at least 5 minutes and no oil drained down to show in the center of it, so it was pretty well drained from sitting hot on the car for about 45 minutes. Never had and startup rattle or anything. I have another 6607 on there and I'll chalk to up to a fluke but in 5k more it's back to Purolator PureGuard.

On topic tho, gasket was well retained on mine. Has some pinches on the edge of the metal channel to help grip it to the filter and it was held tightly in there.

Always let oil drain out to a slow drip and clean base and surrounding area thoroughly . That way can catch gasket if left on .

Always let oil drain out to a slow drip and clean base and surrounding area thoroughly .
Yes, I know how to take the filter off my car I've been changing oil on for over 100,000 miles lol. Crack er open and let it run down the back of the block for a minute or two then finish spinning it off. It's just in such a spot with the axle, frame, and exhaust that it's hard not to get some oil on myself because of the tight space.

Did you cut the filter open to see how much oil was inside the can, or are you just looking into the center tube and see there is no oil there?

I have never seen any oil filter that uses glue on the base gasket. I remove the base gasket and clean the groove and gasket, then reinstall the gasket. Yes, I have found debris in the groove on some filters, especially the old yellow PureOne that had lots of yellow grip paint over spray in the gasket groove.
I'll admit I never looked that closely at the 'can' after the gasket remained on the engine as I was more focused on making sure to remove the gasket. When I've removed the stuck gasket, I never noticed a protrusion that goes into a groove or slot on the can either.

Yes, I know how to take the filter off my car I've been changing oil on for over 100,000 miles lol. Crack er open and let it run down the back of the block for a minute or two then finish spinning it off. It's just in such a spot with the axle, frame, and exhaust that it's hard not to get some oil on myself because of the tight space.
Wasn't meant to offend . I should of applied " I " to start of sentence . No need to be BITTER . :)

I'll admit I never looked that closely at the 'can' after the gasket remained on the engine as I was more focused on making sure to remove the gasket. When I've removed the stuck gasket, I never noticed a protrusion that goes into a groove or slot on the can either.
There are no "protrusions" on the can or on the gasket. The groove in the can has some slight crimps in it around the circumference, which holds the gasket in the groove. Next time you have a new or used filter in your hands, take the gasket out and you'll see how it all works.

Last edited:
Did you cut the filter open to see how much oil was inside the can, or are you just looking into the center tube and see there is no oil there?
I did not and I don't have the right kind of cutter for it.
Poked a hole and blew. Kissed a filter for science! I got this much out into a ~6oz cup.

Attachments

• 20220126_155132.jpg
    20220126_155132.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 12
I did not and I don't have the right kind of cutter for it.

Poked a hole and blew. Kissed a filter for science! I got this much out into a ~6oz cup.
Well, there you go ... the ADBV worked as designed.

I'm considering using Fram Ultra Synthetic Oil filters for my Honda Odyssey's due to the filter's excellent filtration and high flow characteristics: Filtration 99+% > 20 microns, and high flow due to its synthetic media.

I ran into a worrisome potential blocker. The rubber gasket at the bottom of the filter is easily removeable by hand.
My fear is that could lead to gasket being left on and double gasketed during an oil change.
I have a local shop do my oil changes for me for $14 labor fee (I give them the oil and filter and they do the oil change for me).

I'm not looking to do the oil changes myself, but had a specific question to the forum:
For those who do their own oil changes with the Fram Ultra Synthetic filter, do you see the oil filter's rubber gasket sticking to the oil pan after you remove the filter.

Thanks,
Bill
I’ve ran roughly 7 or 8 ultras on my Hondas and all of them had the seal sticking to the pan that I’d have to remove prior to installing the new one. So, technically, if not paying attention there’s a potential for double gasketing.

I did have an XG8A gasket stick to my Jeep Liberty CRD housing when I removed the filter. But for some reason that was an issue with that particular car. For some reason filter gaskets just stuck to it and it was always a struggle getting the filters to unscrew.

I have never had it happen on my F150 with XG10575's.

Back