Fram Ultra now has coil spring?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the Fram Ultra now have coil springs? According to Fram website the Ultra has a coil spring. I looked for a citation to a particle model and there is none. I know for a fact that the Ultra I cut open does NOT have a coil spring. So, did Fram recently add coil springs to the Ultra line? Or am I misunderstanding the advertisement? Ty

So, I looked at the Ultra 7317 and saw the coil spring with the nylon poppet. I answered my own question partially.

Coil spring poppet type bypass, all Frams with filter bypass. Used for as long as I can remember. Leaf/flat type compression spring used hold filter element and adbv in place. Also nothing new for Fram.

Calling the carrier a "leaf spring" is a bit of a stretch - its 90% stiff 10% "leaf".
People don't like the that carrier forms the seal, but Ive cut and seen dozens cut - never a prob there.

Ive seen the coil slip over part of the poppet in a pict though.

UD

Originally Posted by Sayjac
Coil spring poppet type bypass,
Leaf/flat type compression spring used hold filter element and adbv in place.

THIS ^^^

Originally Posted by UncleDave

I don't think it slipped, but rather the spring wasn't installed all the way during assembly. Based on the design of the tangs on the poppet, once the spring is fully engaged, there's no way it's going to slip out over those tangs.

Only downside of the "leaf" is it tends to straighten out if the filter is dropped hard, which usually dents the filter anyway. Leaf spring and can weakness are the Ultra's weaknesses, if they could only put on a Distance Plus can, and Wix coil spring and bypass, then it would be pretty close to perfect!

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Only downside of the "leaf" is it tends to straighten out if the filter is dropped hard, which usually dents the filter anyway. Leaf spring and can weakness are the Ultra's weaknesses, if they could only put on a Distance Plus can, and Wix coil spring and bypass, then it would be pretty close to perfect!

The problem with Wix's setup is that it takes up too much space in the can. The problem is especially damaging in the 57356, resulting in a very small media cartridge, even for its size. For that application, the Fram 7317 is much better due to having more media in the same size can.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

The problem with Wix's setup is that it takes up too much space in the can. The problem is especially damaging in the 57356, resulting in a very small media cartridge, even for its size. For that application, the Fram 7317 is much better due to having more media in the same size can.

I agree-I personally haven't had any loose element/collapsed leaf spring issues, even on eBay 6-packs that were obviously returns in messed up boxes, not packed well, with dome dents-but I wish that Fram could help out a little bit on the can thickness on the Ultra. I've been removing a few that got hit by gravel & road debris from our "wonderful" 3rd World looking roads here, before they normally would have needed to be replaced, because I was worried about can failure on the Ultras.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by UncleDave

I don't think it slipped, but rather the spring wasn't installed all the way during assembly. Based on the design of the tangs on the poppet, once the spring is fully engaged, there's no way it's going to slip out over those tangs.

Could be an install problem.

Fram uses a machine vision QC system that should have caught that - if this assembly is part of that system.

Worst case is bypass pressure was a bit lower on that filter

UD

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

I agree-I personally haven't had any loose element/collapsed leaf spring issues, even on eBay 6-packs that were obviously returns in messed up boxes, not packed well, with dome dents-but I wish that Fram could help out a little bit on the can thickness on the Ultra. I've been removing a few that got hit by gravel & road debris from our "wonderful" 3rd World looking roads here, before they normally would have needed to be replaced, because I was worried about can failure on the Ultras.

The upside to a thin case is that a magnet works better.

UD

Well never on a fram ultra but on a bosch distance plus i have seen some problems... I still think a coil spring is better IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back