Fram Ultra for Ecoboost 2.7

Status
Not open for further replies.
DO we have anyone who can get answers from Fram, Seems that all we can do is the TG11955 or the CH11955. And I wont do the K&N special.

Amsoil claims a filter but id rather something more readily available

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
If TG is already 99%@20 micron, what do you really gain by going to Ultra? Just asking so I can educate myself.

More holding capacity, so therefore a longer use period with the Ultra. Less delta-p as the filter loads up over time.

If we accept that EBs are "fuel diluters" and therefore harder on oil resulting in shorter OCIs because the oil breaks down more quickly, do you really want to run a filter element more than one OCI?

If we accept that EBs are "fuel diluters" and therefore harder on oil resulting in shorter OCIs because the oil breaks down more quickly, do you really want to run a filter element more than one OCI?

I'm sure the filter will be fine with a small amount of dilution....dilution that's reduced with the addition of fresh oil.

I'd be more worried about later OCIs needing to be shortened due to the fuel in the undrained oil in the filter.

I'm still trying to figure out what the question is!!
lol.gif
crackmeup2.gif

I would love an ultra and would but then if they were available. I just posted about the tough guard and I'm really impressed with it. Not sure if the ultra is really needed...

Always ran them 2x on 5-6k OCI's on my 3.5 Ecoboost, would probably do the same on the 2.7 Ecoboost if they made them. Still well below the 20k rating they come with and they have tons of capacity which is good as the Ecoboost engines seem to also produce a lot of carbon (I'd see a good amount in the bottom of the can on the 3.5 when I'd cut open the filter).

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
If TG is already 99%@20 micron, what do you really gain by going to Ultra? Just asking so I can educate myself.

More holding capacity, so therefore a longer use period with the Ultra. Less delta-p as the filter loads up over time.

I would rather use a filter that filters better and have to change it with shorter intervals, than I would a less effective filter that would allow for longer intervals. How much time and money does it really take to change an oil filter? Is an extra 15 minutes and $10 that much of an inconvenience and expense?

Scott

Originally Posted by SLO_Town

I would rather use a filter that filters better and have to change it with shorter intervals, than I would a less effective filter that would allow for longer intervals.

A long OCI rating doesn't automatically mean a less efficient filter. Just look at the Ultra and other similar efficient full synthetic long OCI filter specs.

A long OCI rating doesn't automatically mean a less efficient filter. Just look at the Ultra and other similar efficient full synthetic long OCI filter specs.

Exactly what spec would I find that would define that? All I see is something like, 99%@20 micron. Do the filter manufacturers provide a spec that defines the point that the filter becomes restrictive? And if they did, how would I know the whether my filter had or had not reached its loading capacity? The fact that a filter manufacturer labels it a "long OCI" filter is factually ambiguous.

Scott

What is this fascination of overloading a rock catcher? If you never changed the oil filter how long would the engine last? It's not uncommon for engines many tens of thousands of miles without oil changes.

Check out AFE Power's PRO Guard HD oil filters....its what I use. Regular price for a 4 pack is $44...currently on sale for $22 50% off

Originally Posted by SLO_Town

Exactly what spec would I find that would define that? All I see is something like, 99%@20 micron. Do the filter manufacturers provide a spec that defines the point that the filter becomes restrictive? And if they did, how would I know the whether my filter had or had not reached its loading capacity? The fact that a filter manufacturer labels it a "long OCI" filter is factually ambiguous.

Scott

When a filter manufacturer says the filter is good for to up to 10K or 15K or 20K then they have determined what the holding capacity is of the filter and came up with an "up to use mileage". And those are probably conservative mileage use numbers from the manufacturer. Those mileage ratings are something that comes out of the ISO 4548-12 testing that determines the holding capacity of the filter before a certain level of delta-p restriction occurs across the filter.

Your previous comment made it sound like high efficiency oil filters can't go long OCIs because they would "clog" faster ... but that's not always true. Most high efficiency full synthetic filters can go pretty long OCIs, like 10K to 20K miles because they also have higher holding capacity and less flow restriction. All good things IMO.

Im just interested for PC data. Once i use up my last 2 motorcraft filters i plan to try the TG. I'm still getting used to automotive filtering. My gearboxes at work are so much cleaner its ridiculous

Originally Posted by Purpfox
DO we have anyone who can get answers from Fram, Seems that all we can do is the TG11955 or the CH11955. And I wont do the K&N special.

Amsoil claims a filter but id rather something more readily available

There are other similar filters to the ultra. Purolator boss, Royal purple and wix xp are a few that are easily obtainable. There are other filters with blended media's for extended use also such as mobile 1 (available at Walmart or the stp extend use filters at AutoZone as well pure one. Those are good too.
Basically the only real advantage with all those are for extended intervals past 10k +or so. They just have greater holding capacity.
If your not trying to greatly extend your oci the tough guard you mentioned is just as good for a bit less $$

M1 filter isnt an option, 30 micron at 99
Wix xp isnt made yet for the application

My reply from k&n was they do not have any data on the filter as far as efficiency or beta ratios. So I'll never put one of those on a vehicle. When i get to a pc I'll load up the e-mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back