Fram Ultra flow restrictive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Where do some of you get these ridiculous ideas, anyway?
crazy2.gif

Its OK to question if something with great efficiency has too high of a flow resistance. Thats not a stupid question.
Intuitively, you might think a filter is more restrictive the smaller the flow path porosity is.
Flow any liquid into a smaller pipe and you'll see the pressure drop go up, of course.

In this case, the Fram Ultra isn't too restrictive at all. It can hold more dirt than most other filters.
The physical reality of smaller, more consistently sized synthetic fibers is what makes the Ultra work.
oil-filter-synthetic-vs-cellulose.jpg

Now superimpose one picture over another and you have synthetic blend. The advantage of cellulose is it's wood cell structure can hold finer particles and even water molecules. Synthetic fibers don't do that, they depend on the gaps between the fibers to hold particles. Those fat wood fibers are a good thing. I think they can act like mini bypass filters.
laugh.gif
people say to that.

I think the concerns over a 80% 5 micron claim are justified, seems too good for a full flow to not clog. But the Ultra uses two layers of media to get flow with capacity and fineness. The other synthetics except Champ Labs seem to have higher multi pass numbers and they are single layer. I think the Fram testing can be relied on to make the bypass valve open correctly and the flow rates adequate within capacity. Still many unknowns, partly because companies don't tell much. Like capacity, there is a difference between 20 grams of fine dust and 20 grams of pebbles as to when they clog a filter.

My take away from reading Jim Allen’s trials was that oil filters go into bypass a lot. In his application the lighter oil didn’t bypass near as often as the heavier oil, but the motorcraft FL-820s has a bypass setting that is double what the Fram Ultra is for that same application. No other “facts” to show. Wix in that application also uses a higher bypass psi. I dont’t like Fram’s low bypass settings either. I would rather have filtered oil than a second of unfiltered oil.

Originally Posted By: iunderpressure
My take away from reading Jim Allen’s trials was that oil filters go into bypass a lot...

A guess I'd have to ask you what "a lot" means to you?

The BP may burp open for a second or so (give or take) upon start of the fluid flow from a dead-still engine. Once the flow is established, the resistance isn't from the filter media, but the engine oil circuit itself, so the dP drops way down. He was able to induce some BP events by using oil that was thicker than spec, and not anywhere near operating temps, then essentially given a WOT blast. If you intend to cold-start your engine, using 10w-40 in your modern car, and then flair it to redline, you'll get some BP events. Otherwise, it's pretty much moot.

The MC bypass is located on the thread end of the filter.
Yes, and should not pass anything that collects on the bottom.

The fundamental mistake most all people make here is that they presume what they buy is at 100% engine capacity, and as soon as they use it, it drops to some value lower than what the worst case is for their operation. That is WRONG!!!!!

Filters (and also lubes) are sold with a capacity that is way above the max engine required condition, so that as they are used, they still assure 100%+ capability at the end of planned lifecycle.

Let me give an example ...
Let's say your engine will push a max of 6gpm at max rpm, and only generate 3gpm at cruising speeds. The filter you buy will be rated for perhaps 7-9gpm, and that is over the lifecycle of the filter. IOW - it will flow 7-9gpm as a MINIMUM, at the END of it's designed lifecycle. So the filter will always flow MORE than the engine can deliver, even when the filter is "used".

Same goes for air filters. Jim Allen's data, along with some SAE studies like the Donaldson "total filtration" one, show that air filtration is the most important when it comes to wear control. The "average" loading in a fairly clean operational area might induce 30g of particulate in 50k miles of use. If the air filter can hold 100g of particulate, it will last about 150k or so. But the OEM and the market tell you to FCI at 30k miles, just in case you're in a worst-case scenario. And, the air filter will still flow the min required of perhaps 900cfm when fully loaded. It may have started at 1200cfm as a flow capability, and the loading did reduce the volumetric flow, but it is still way above what the engine requires. It is true that some degradation will happen to the products, but the residual capacity after degradation is still far above the needs of the equipment. A filter may start out with 200% ability of flow, and only drop to 140%, even after the FCI is met or exceeded. And, they may have a capacity of 50g, but your FCI only induces 28g, over the entire FCI.

Most simply put, do NOT assume that the max capacity of the lube and filter out of the container = the max requirement of the engine. The lube and filter are made so that they assure a minimum safe level that exceeds the engine requirements, at the end of the planned OFCI.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Who knows how much their oil pump puts out? I have never seen any flow specs for any engine, just psi parameters.

Some information is out there if you look.

For example Subaru Oil pumps are pretty high flow...not sure what oil pump exactly they are using for OEM here but @5k RPM its moving almost 11GPM (Subaru has higher bypass spec for this engine)

Another side note, oil sump in an EJ25 is ~5 quarts(1.25 gal) so in 1 min its changing out the sump ~9 times!

Quote:
Part Number: OPSB1478HP

Engine Applications: EJ20/EJ22/FJ25

Oil Pump Flow Data:

Engine RPM - 600 - OE Oil Pump - 4.9 L/MIN - ACL Orbit Performance Oil Pump - 8.5 L/MIN

Engine RPM - 3000 - OE Oil Pump - 16.8 L/MIN - ACL Orbit Performance Oil Pump - 28.8 L/MIN

Engine RPM - 5000 - OE Oil Pump - 41.3 L/MIN - ACL Orbit Performance Oil Pump - 51.2 L/MIN

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: littleant
I do not believe the bypass valve is plastic. (Fram website Say's it has a precision coil spring with a glass fiber reinforced nylon poppet relief valve.)
Holding one in my hand now from an extra guard ph9688. It looks like plastic but could be black fiberglass mix of some sort, it has to remain pliable and withstand +300F. I see nothing wrong with it at all.

This thread is just a new version of the old (unfounded) complaint regarding the PureOne filters being "too restrictive"; a totally uneducated view that if it's efficient, it must also be too restrictive because one's brain cannot conceive that the product can be both efficient and flow well

crazy2.gif

Exactly dn3 ... here's the curve Purolator generated testing a PureOne filter for restrictiveness. I'm sure many older members here have seen this graph dozens of times.

This delta-p vs flow curve was with hot oil, so of course like any oil filter, the delta-p will be higher with colder/thicker oil. That's why anyone who understands this shouldn't be revving their engine super high until the oil fully warms up. But this goes to show that at operating conditions even a very efficient filter (and the PureOne wasn't even full synthetic media) can flow very well. It's all about the specific design of the media, and how much media surface area there is to flow the oil ... so it's very possible to get high efficiency and very good flow performance at the same time.

My take away from reading Jim Allen’s trials was that oil filters go into bypass a lot. In his application the lighter oil didn’t bypass near as often as the heavier oil, but the motorcraft FL-820s has a bypass setting that is double what the Fram Ultra is for that same application. No other “facts” to show. Wix in that application also uses a higher bypass psi. I dont’t like Fram’s low bypass settings either. I would rather have filtered oil than a second of unfiltered oil.

Usually an oil filter that has a higher bypass valve setting indicates that it has more flow resistance through the media, and/or the engine application has a very high output oil pump like on some Subuaru engines. They set the bypass valve higher so it won't go into bypass as often due to the more restrictive media.

If you intend to cold-start your engine, using 10w-40 in your modern car, and then flair it to redline, you'll get some BP events. Otherwise, it's pretty much moot.

And I'd throw in that will probably happen on any oil filter used under those conditions.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Originally Posted By: littleant
I do not believe the bypass valve is plastic. (Fram website Say's it has a precision coil spring with a glass fiber reinforced nylon poppet relief valve.)
Holding one in my hand now from an extra guard ph9688. It looks like plastic but could be black fiberglass mix of some sort, it has to remain pliable and withstand +300F. I see nothing wrong with it at all.

You can take apart a Toyota bypass valve and put it in a Fram and vice versa, fits perfectly. One of the largest bypass openings, by eye, of any standard filter. A large bypass is important, not often talked about.

Originally Posted By: ZraHamilton
I am wondering if the extreme efficiency of the fram ultra (99% @ 20, 94% @ 10, and I even heard someone say 80% @ 5 microns) would create a large pressure differential and cause it to bypass often. The bypass valve is extremely flimsy and easy to push because of the weak spring and plastic valve. This seems like the biggest weakness of the ultra. If it bypasses often, that 99%+ becomes 0% lol.

Also, wouldn't the Wix XP have the lowest pressure differential of nearly any filter? (with fiberglass media and 50% @ 20 micron efficiency). If so, you get the filtering efficiency of many OEM filters, but with excellent flow, and the toughest construction.

1) oil filters RARELY go into bypass; read Jim Allen's trials please
2) oil filters flow well more than the oil pumps put out; show me any data to prove otherwise
3) the Wix/NG and Wix XP are rated at same flow volumes for equivalent applications; go check their website
4) what makes you think the BP valve is "extremely flimsy and easy to push because of the weak spring and plastic valve" (As opposed to the bazillions of others just like it in other brands?) What makes the plastic "flimsy" and the spring "weak"?

This thread is just a new version of the old (unfounded) complaint regarding the PureOne filters being "too restrictive"; a totally uneducated view that if it's efficient, it must also be too restrictive because one's brain cannot conceive that the product can be both efficient and flow well

crazy2.gif

It's not a ridiculous notion at all that small hole area restricts more than larger. A water faucet has such controls. The manufacturer has to be trusted. Fram shows testing, Mann puts flow data in their brochure. What's ridiculous is to assume someone says "is the Ultra too restrictive?" and say "don't say it is too restrictive." They are asking a question, not saying it isn't true. The title of the thread is a question, not a statement.
34.gif

FYI - Here's some flow data Jay gave on the flow performance of the Ultra - LINK .

Conclusion was it flowed even better than the Purolator curve posted above (ie, the whole delta-p curve would be shifted downward on the graph).

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
ZeeOSix - scratch this as I just discovered the oil temperature is different.

I think you're talking about the link I posted. Yes, need to read the thread from the point the link pops you in to get the whole story. Conclusion was the Ultra flowed better than the PureOne graph I posted when taking into account the oil temperature (ie, viscosity) factor.

I should have read the whole linked post. At first it looked amiss. My error. Both filters have good numbers. For all practical purposes in a “normal” engine the filter is almost inconsequential with respect to DP. At least for these two filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back