Fram Ultra Cartridge Filter Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Had a Fram Ultra 10075 on my 2011 BMW 135i for just about a year and 3000 miles. I was curious about it so I pulled it. Glad I did - it experienced a failure.

This was the filter:

[Linked Image]

The failure was that the media came off of the end cap.

It's nearly impossible to overtorque these filters. The cap tightens flat/in contact with the metal housing just at the defined torque.

I will say that the red rubber gaskets that came with this filter are the best I've seen with an MB or BMW cartridge.

And I don't believe this is an unknown at this point. I had this filter, might as well use it, and the car doesn't get a ton of use anyway - I bought it new and currently have 25k miles.

So first the media was bent on one side.

[Linked Image]

The other side wasn't so bad; and as such it hadn't separated.

[Linked Image]

It had cleanly come away from the end caps:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The media backing and felt ends do look nice. Wonder if the media backing is too stiff and that's part of the issue.

[Linked Image]

I had a K&N from some oil deal in my parts bin, so I ran that. The rubber parts looked far inferior so I left the Fram ones in use. I'll be replacing this filter in a year or less most likely anyway. I got a NAPA Platinum from some other deal, so that's likely what I'll use.

Last edited:
That is a total manufacturing/design failure. MANN or Mahle for this type of filter for my money. AC Delco seems to make a good one for the ecotech, Made in China but appears solid enough after use.

There are other posts and pictures of these older, USA-made XG10075 filter failing just as yours.

The new XG10075 is made in Korea and the construction is slightly different (end caps are different, and the media is now white instead of red/pink).

For the money ($17 at Wal-mart), it just doesn't make sense to use these over the known Mann or Mahle filters.

The Wix/Napa filters are kind of junky too in this application (standard made in China, the XP made in Poland, but the design is the same). Compared several to the Mann HU816x and the Napa filters were a bit longer (and the two Napa / Wix filters were different lengths), which made me think the media would be crushed after install. I ran one just to see, and it was indeed crushed after the OCI was done.

Originally Posted by drtyler
There are other posts and pictures of these older, USA-made XG10075 filter failing just as yours. ...
How old was that filter?

There have also been posts about problems with the USA-made XG10358 (for Toyota 1.8L) cartridges.
I wonder whether all those issues have been corrected.

Contact Fram and let them know ... they would probably be interested in looking at the filter. That's the only way for a manufacturer to see and address a problem.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
We've seen quite a few of these Fram cartridge filter failures in German engine applications here on BITOG.
This. Though there have been other similar Fram cartridge failures, it seems most specifically in BMW applications. Topic cartridge looks similar. No help now, however my advice on these cartridge applications especially BMW, stick to OEM. Linked a couple other BMW Fram Ultra cartridge failure anecdotes.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3930157/Fram_Ultra_=_Piece_of_[censore

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3434977/all/Fram_Ultra_FAILURE

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
I'd only use OEM filters on a BMW.

Luckily you checked and caught the failure,

I use the OEM MC FL2017B cartridge in my 2007 Ford Fusion. When I first bought the car I tried a M1 filter and a couple of others and they all twisted a bit like this Fram did. I went with the MC filter about 10 years ago and they always come out looking great.

The Ultra filters I have been using in my 3.6 Jeep have been coming out fine. I wonder if it is application specific in this case. I'd use OE in the vehicle in question going forward.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Where are all the guys who only want "Made in USA" stuff?
laugh.gif

I only want first world stuff, not to pay some trust fund brat's good time for their ceo parent to drop jobs offshore to people who get paid pennies.

Some Mann filters are now made in Mexico - no thanks.

Fortunately BMW branded Mann filters, made in Germany, can be had from FCP euro with free replacement.

I'd happily pay for the FU if it didn't do this. The gaskets are far and away better than any other gaskets that have come with these filters.

I bought this filter a couple years ago. It was known that there were issues; I ran it anyway. Was worth a test especially salon experience I don't run them long in this application.

Yikes! How high is the oil pressure on that thing? Enough to make a wire-backed filter buckle
crazy2.gif

A lot of aftermarket cartridge filters are a bit too long, like this Ultra.

Next time, stick to Mann, Mahle, Hengst, and Purflux

Originally Posted by JHZR2
I bought this filter a couple years ago. It was known that there were issues; I ran it anyway.

Could be they've been improved since then if Fram found out there were issues with those particular filters.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
... A lot of aftermarket cartridge filters are a bit too long, like this Ultra.
Whether it was "a bit too long" to fit in the housing, or buckled under normal spring force (assuming the BMW housing incorporates a spring like Toyota cartridge caps do) seems unclear.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back