Fram Ultra--Any Real Competition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was younger, from the time I bought my first car until I heard about the dreaded "cardboard" end caps, I used Fram oil filters religiously. I never had a known problem, but I guess I bought into the fear about those end caps. Fast forward to just a couple years ago, I was researching on Bitog and on manufacturer's web sites, as well as other automotive forums, and I decided to go back to Fram in the form of the Ultra oil filters. I liked that they had a mesh backing to the pleats and were recommended for longer change intervals.

Anyway, I've looked and looked, and have not seen any filter that competes with the Ultra, in terms of filtering performance. In fact, I noticed that even the Tough Guard and regular Fram Extra Guard outperform the published data on other filters, even the expensive Mobil 1 filter.

So, the question: Is there any other filter that can compete with the Fram's performance? I've not seen any that publish better than 99% at 30 microns or bigger, in the single pass standardized test. Of course, the Fram TG and UG get 99% at down to 20 microns.

According to Fram, the UG media flows better, too, so it appears to be a rare case of getting the best of all worlds...highest filtration, high flow, and high total dirt capacity.

I'd love to know if any competing filters are as effective as an Ultra Guard. Please don't say bypass filters, or something like that. I am just curious if any traditional can or cartridge filters can do as well, at least with their own published or claimed results.

I've been running UG's on all of my vehicles except the Mercedes for the past couple years. I haven't cut one open, but in the next year, I'll probably get to a long (10k plus) OCI on my JL Wrangler, where we'll get a good look at the cartridge filter.

I haven't seen anything better in terms of filtration at 20 micron than the Fram Ultra Guard. A close second would be the Amsoil EA series, Royal Purple filters. I'm actually going to change from the Amsoil EA series filter to the Fram Ultra in my Toyota once my inventory is used up because there is a savings of $7/filter for me and the filtration is better with the Fram Ultra.

Listen....you're asking the largest single source of Fram Ultra cheerleaders if people think they are any good??? Really???

I run them on occasion, but I'm think they are THAT good. But they are hard to beat, for sure.

I just bought a new truck and I'm going to "baby it" during it's first few year's of oil changes....spoil her. I could have bought any oil and filter combinations I wanted to.

I ended up buying 10 gallons of Renewable Lubricant's HDEO oil and half a dozen Royal Filters and another half dozen Fram RACING filters.

Originally Posted by Phishin
Listen....you're asking the largest single source of Fram Ultra cheerleaders if people think they are any good??? Really???

I run them on occasion, but I'm think they are THAT good. But they are hard to beat, for sure.

I just bought a new truck and I'm going to "baby it" during it's first few year's of oil changes....spoil her. I could have bought any oil and filter combinations I wanted to.

I ended up buying 10 gallons of Renewable Lubricant's HDEO oil and half a dozen Royal Filters and another half dozen Fram RACING filters.

Oh, please. This place used to trash Frams. There has always been plenty of diversity of thought on these things here. Besides, is it surprising that there are fans if it posts the best data? That's why I asked, is to see if any others come close. I saw the M1 filter appears to be very well made, but still can't get the filtering efficiency of the Fram, even at 20% to 30% greater cost. There are a good number of very objective people on this forum, and they tend to be easy to see and hear, even through the static.

The Wix XP/Napa Platinum is Wix's competitor to the Fram Ultra
smile.gif

Also, being that you have a Pentastar, please be aware that the Ultra cartridge for the Penstastar XG11665 is not quite the same as other Ultras. Your JL's Ultra doesn't have the traditional pink media and wire mesh that Ultras usually have.

The XG11665 has white media and a plastic mesh and is made in South Korea. In fact, it looks a lot like a Purolator Boss or fleece Mann. It might even by made in Mann's Korean factory (Mann is the OE supplier to Hyundai/Kia). And most importantly, the plastic mesh is not strong enough to keep the XG11665 from buckling in service.

Wix just recently released an XP for the Pentastar. Wix XP WL10010XP or Napa Platinum 4100010. It uses a real metal wire mesh and is also US-made. The XP should be stronger than the Ultra and shouldn't buckle in service.

See this thread for more information and pictures
smile.gif

Hard to match for the performance vs cost … but I currently have two vehicles where the PRV setting issue stranded some XG's on my shelf …

Why Fram Racing filters? 94% efficiency @20 microns is nothing to write home about.

The regular Wix filters will filter at 99% efficiency at 23 microns and they hold 18 grams of dirt. I am paying just $3.91 for them, 51515. They are combination cellulose and glass media.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
The Wix XP/Napa Platinum is Wix's competitor to the Fram Ultra
smile.gif

Also, being that you have a Pentastar, please be aware that teh Ultra cartridge for the Penstastar XG11665 is not quite the same as other Ultras. Your JL's Ultra doesn;t have the traditional pink media ans wire mesh that Ultras usually have.

The XG11665 has white media and a plastic mesh and is made in South Korea. In fact, it looks a lot like a Purolator Boss or fleece Mann. It might even by made in Mann's Korean factory (Mann is the OE supplier to Hyundai/Kia). And most importantly, the plastic mesh is not strong enough to keep the XG11665 from buckling in service.

Wix just recently released an XP for the Pentastar. Wix XP WL10010XP or Napa Platinum 4100010. It uses a real metal wire mesh and is also US-made. The XP should be stronger than the Ultra and shouldn;t buckle in service.

See this thread for more information and pictures
smile.gif

Yep, I've seen that and have the photos of mine. However, the Fram doesn't buckle as much as the Mopar, and the media appears, at least on the 3k OCI, to hold up just fine. I'll be running these further to see how they hold up, but the UG at 3k held up better than the OEM Mopar did after 2k, Btw, that polymer (kind of like monofiliment) mesh is VERY strong, although flexible. The Wix sounds promising, but does the media filter as well? Another question I have is, is 99% at 30 microns or larger good enough? Probably so. I still have a mental issue with going with good enough when better is available. I would like to see someone do a 5k or longer run on that Wix filter to see how it holds its shape. I do figure the contortion on the Mopars and others is considered by FCA engineers to be normal and ok. The way their filters look, I'd bet they start contorting pretty quickly, yet I've not heard of any harm from that. I still don't like it, though. I wish Fram would construct it with metal.

I have heard that the Mobil 1 filter for the Pentastar has actual metal backing, as well, but again, it doesn't filter as well. It's also about 3 or 4 bucks more expensive than the UG.

Last edited:
I missed that you had a PentaStar. My dad's has over 300K on it and it was fed bulk conventional it's whole life and used oil change shops generic filter cartridges and my dad now uses the Fram basic cartridge. It's not using any oil either. Those engines are very durable and you don't need to worry over the filtration in them at all.

Just thought I would mention it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Bottom_Feeder

Why Fram Racing filters? 94% efficiency @20 microns is nothing to write home about.

That's pretty close! What is the efficiency on the XP? If that good, I might give it a try. I wonder how the flow rate of the Wix XP and Fram UG would compare? Both probably exceed by a healthy margin the requirements of my engines, but I'd still love to know.

Originally Posted by StevieC
I missed that you had a PentaStar. My dad's has over 300K on it and it was fed bulk conventional it's whole life and used oil change shops generic filter cartridges and my dad now uses the Fram basic cartridge. It's not using any oil either. Those engines are very durable and you don't need to worry over the filtration in them at all.

Just thought I would mention it.

Yeah, that's one of the things I love about the Pentastar. They seem to be easy on oil and long lived. I was one of the few who were glad they did not go to DI on the Pentastar Upgrade, for just that reason. Reliability and durability are two priorities for me with a Jeep that will see some adventures far off the beaten path on some very tough trails. I just think about this stuff and make decisions more for fun than any other reason. I just love cars/trucks and engines. I also don't have to worry too much because I bought a lifetime warranty. Still, I just can't stop! Lol! (BITOG Disease!)

Thanks for sharing about your Dad's Pentastar. What year and vehicle? I've seen lots of Jeeps with lots of miles and haven't seen one stranded on the trail due to an engine issue. Its the best engine they've ever put in the Wrangler, in my humble opinion.

Last edited:
It's a 2012 and unlike some of the early Pentastar's of that era didn't have any issues luckily. It was my fleet vehicle at work and when it had 180,000km on it I was able to buy it for him so I looked after it but it spent most of its life fully loaded with what I was carrying around for work so it worked hard and earned its keep on the road 12+ hours a day with extensive idling and some really nasty traffic jams in really bad weather.
grin2.gif

I even took it to Krown every year and had it rust sprayed and it's still rust free 6 years later with the 300K miles it had on it. He hasn't bothered to spray it any longer because there is enough of a buildup on it and by the time it rusts out it will be time for the junkyard anyway.

A quality filter and quality oil will make that thing last virtually forever and it's why I encouraged my Father inlaw to buy one when he was looking for a bigger vehicle. I'm running Amsoil SS 5w20 in his with currently Wix filters but I'm going to change him over to the Ultra at the next change. He does yearly changes. About 25,000km

Last edited:
It's a 2012 and unlike some of the early Pentastar's of that era didn't have any issues luckily. It was my fleet vehicle at work and when it had 180,000km on it I was able to buy it for him so I looked after it but it spent most of its life fully loaded with what I was carrying around for work so it worked hard and earned its keep on the road 12+ hours a day with extensive idling and some really nasty traffic jams in really bad weather.
grin2.gif

I even took it to Krown every year and had it rust sprayed and it's still rust free 6 years later with the 300K miles it had on it. He hasn't bothered to spray it any longer because there is enough of a buildup on it and by the time it rusts out it will be time for the junkyard anyway.

A quality filter and quality oil will make that thing last virtually forever and it's why I encouraged my Father inlaw to buy one when he was looking for a bigger vehicle. I'm running Amsoil SS 5w20 in his with currently Wix filters but I'm going to change him over to the Ultra at the next change.

I have a police officer who works for me and has had a number of Pentastar powered Chargers. He's never had an engine related issue and like you, his idles endlessly, in all seasons, cold to hot. The front suspensions are the weak spot on those cars. The engines run and run and run. He had one with nearly 200k miles on it and it pulled strong like you'd expect from a much newer one.

Mine is a blast to drive in the JL. I've got a 6 speed manual and this new version of the engine has more torque down low. It is so well matched to the transmission and to this Jeep, even with 35" tires. I tow with it, too. I'll be giving it a big test in October in Colorado and Moab, sandwiched between the long 22 hour drives to and from. I'm looking forward to running it.

Thanks again for sharing!

Originally Posted by Bottom_Feeder

If you have half a million particles greater than 20 microns in your oil....how many are AT 20 microns?? So the Ultra has an "edge" at filtering 20 micro particles....big deal. I think it's insignificant.
I'm sure they are nearly identical at removing 25 microns and greater.

Originally Posted by IndyFan
grin2.gif

A quality filter and quality oil will make that thing last virtually forever and it's why I encouraged my Father inlaw to buy one when he was looking for a bigger vehicle. I'm running Amsoil SS 5w20 in his with currently Wix filters but I'm going to change him over to the Ultra at the next change.

I have a police officer who works for me and has had a number of Pentastar powered Chargers. He's never had an engine related issue and like you, his idles endlessly, in all seasons, cold to hot. The front suspensions are the weak spot on those cars. The engines run and run and run. He had one with nearly 200k miles on it and it pulled strong like you'd expect from a much newer one.

Mine is a blast to drive in the JL. I've got a 6 speed manual and this new version of the engine has more torque down low. It is so well matched to the transmission and to this Jeep, even with 35" tires. I tow with it, too. I'll be giving it a big test in October in Colorado and Moab, sandwiched between the long 22 hour drives to and from. I'm looking forward to running it.

Thanks again for sharing!

Yeah it's something Chrysler got right and the Mercedes / Chrysler transmission is a good pairing with it. I wish I had bought a van over the Journey I had that was a big problem but oh well, live / learn. My dad's has needed the suspension replaced front/back and now the bushings in the back are gone but it just makes it rattle so he just puts up with it because of the mileage. The A/C still blows cold and it has the original water pump, alternator, starter and radiator which is pretty good considering Chrysler's typical track record for these items.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by PimTac
Yes there is competition to the Ultra and to Fram in general.

I haven't used a Fram filter in over 30 years.

That's not really what I asked, but ok.

People get way more emotional about filter brands than anything else.

Originally Posted by Ifixyawata

People get way more emotional about filter brands than anything else.

Lol, yep. If someone makes one that is competitive economically and in filtering performance, I don't care what color or name is on it. I just want what is the best value/performance. Right now, I think the UG is it, but the Wix sounds promising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back