20201216_145143.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 78
  • 20201216_145202.jpg
    20201216_145202.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 78
  • 20201216_145213.jpg
    20201216_145213.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 79
Yikes... someone might have switched the filters on you. Was your box sealed when you bought it? I had a sticker seal on mine plus my filter was wrapped in plastic.
Yeah, the box was sealed. And I ordered mine online, didn't pick up in store.

Yeah I’m not too sure why they look so different. Does fram use different manufactures for different car brands?
You got me! I'm going to install it soon. If it doesn't fit correctly I have until sometime in Jan to return it. I haven't been driving that car as often so I have my wife driving it to put miles on it. It is an '18 with almost 17k miles. I'm due for my 30 month service and that is part of the service. Gotta change the oil in the next week or 2.

Fram rep told me via online chat that the latest Walmart Fram Ultra air filters will not have XGA in the part number, only the numbers.

The standard Fram filter and the Fram Ultra appear exactly the same for my application, down to the numbers only part number printed on the filter.

Take that for what you can. I think they are the same filter in different boxes.

Fram rep told me via online chat that the latest Walmart Fram Ultra air filters will not have XGA in the part number, only the numbers.

The standard Fram filter and the Fram Ultra appear exactly the same for my application, down to the numbers only part number printed on the filter.

Take that for what you can. I think they are the same filter in different boxes.
Hummm ... if they are exactly the same filters but in different boxes claiming different performance numbers, than seems that could be taken as false advertising. :unsure:

in my application for a 2007 F150 CA9687 and XGA9687 at Walmart...the two filters, $2 more for the Ultra Fram look different with the Ultra having a plastic rib (like in the photo TrainingPolicy has above) and the color of the filter being different...I can get an OEM Motorcraft for a dollar more than the Fram Extra and the newest Walmart filter from SuperTech (Champion Labs) is priced at the same price as the Fram Extra...

Bill

just to add...at Walmart yesterday to compare filters...there were two (old box and newer box) Fram Ultra XGA9687s...both made in Mexico but looked a bit different...one had 4 years protection while the other had 2 years marked on the box...my current Fram Extra Guard is also made in Mexico and had a 1 year/12K mile protection label...interestingly to me the box had Fork Truck marked on it rather than Ford Truck ;)

The Walmart Champion Labs made SuperTech had up to 3 years/30K protection marked on the box and was made in the USA...

I may try the SuperTech filter when I change this one soon as the current prices for the Motorcraft OEM filter are now more than $5 more than the SuperTech or Fram Extra Guard...

Bill

Installed the 9997 today. I noticed 2 things. The plastic housing on the Fram is a little thicker than the OEM Subaru. Also, I think the OEM filter has a slightly larger diameter, just slightly. Putting the housing back on was a PITA. I think this was due to it being slightly thicker. We'll see how it works...

just to add...at Walmart yesterday to compare filters...there were two (old box and newer box) Fram Ultra XGA9687s...both made in Mexico but looked a bit different...one had 4 years protection while the other had 2 years marked on the box...my current Fram Extra Guard is also made in Mexico and had a 1 year/12K mile protection label...interestingly to me the box had Fork Truck marked on it rather than Ford Truck ;)
Counterfeit air filters making their way into Walmart perhaps. Spelling mistakes like that are a sigh of fakes.

you may be right as this could have been a return to Walmart...

I found myself at Walmart again yesterday and decided to take a look at the two Fram Ultra's as well as the SuperTech again...

The Ultra in the older, 4 year marked "Fork" truck box was in a sealed plastic container and appeared like my Fram Tough Guard filter while the newer Ultra which was also sealed in plastic had a plastic rib down the middle...that Ultra only had a up to 2 year marking on the box...

the SuperTech appeared to be slightly lighter and perhaps thinner (also wrapped in a plastic sealed baggy) than the Fram Ultra with the plastic rib down the middle...they did not have any Tough Guard Fram filters in that particular Walmart...

Bill

checked out an OEM Motorcraft filter today and can't tell any difference beyond numbering system right down to the same color and number of lines through the golden colored filter of the Fram Extra Guard...

Bill

Last edited:
checked out an OEM Motorcraft filter today and can't tell any difference beyond numbering system right down to the same color and number of lines through the golden colored filter of the Fram Extra Guard...

Bill
Hummm ... interesting.

a further interesting tidbit from my perspective at least...I see that my local Walmart has discontinued selling the Fram Extra Guard in favor of just the Ultra Guard and their Super Tech labeled, white filter material filter...

Yesterday I was at Farm and Fleet and noticed they just got in a batch of new Fram Extra Guard filters...the CA9687 filter for my F150 is now white filter media (Champion Labs influence?) instead of the Fram age old yellowish filter media but still marked Made in Mexico...

Bill

Just change out air filter on my f159 . My ultra look little different on the metal mesh . It’s had 2 line . Don’t know if it normal .

Attachments

• 9F11A839-6A65-4C07-B1A0-B6E421953228.jpg
    9F11A839-6A65-4C07-B1A0-B6E421953228.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 41
Just change out air filter on my f159 . My ultra look little different on the metal mesh . It’s had 2 line . Don’t know if it normal .

Replaced the filter on my Hemi RAM last weekend, my Ultra looked just like yours (maybe different size of course). Metal mesh on one side with 2 raised rib type sections like yours.

The Fram Ultra pleats were taller than the pleats on the OEM filter that came off it.

BTW.....in regards to people swapping filters in boxes, all of the Fram Ultra filters (oil and air) at my Walmart are taped. If the tape is cut, pick another one.

Back