Fram Ultra Air Filter (4309)

Just installed a Fram ultra air filter in my Infiniti. From the looks of it, it looks like a good filter. Not much to report on it so far, I will periodically post up photos of it to see how it fairs over 40k miles or 4 years. The car doesn't get driven a lot, so it'll probably be 4 years before 40k miles. Enjoy the photos below.

IMG_4354.JPG
IMG_4355.JPG

IMG_4356.JPG
IMG_4357.JPG

They changed the gasket to red (used to be gray, and before that, black)

At least that filter still has the yellow oiled media :)

I though the Ultra air filter line was new? Or are you saying they have had all these changes since coming out?

The Ultra has been around awhile, maybe a couple years. It's a Walmart-only version of the Tough Guard air filters. When the Ultra line rolled out, Fram added and deleted a few part numbers.

The gray gasket I got a few years ago was an Ultra from Walmart, which replaced a TG with the black gasket. All were made in Mexico.

Right now, I have an STP Premium air filter from Autozone. It is also oiled, but the media is red rather than yellow. It seems to be made in the US by Champ.

If it is an engine air filter and the media is oiled, wouldn't a very small amount of the oil get into the intake air stream and an even smaller amount onto the MAF. And aren't MAF very very sensitive to even very small amounts of contamination to the extent that they may not work properly and throw a code if even a very small amount of contamination gets on them.

I am not 100% sure that this problem will occur, but if it were mine, I would opt for a filter that did not have a oiled media.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is there anyone out there who has used these for many miles without it causing a problem?

If it is an engine air filter and the media is oiled, wouldn't a very small amount of the oil get into the intake air stream and an even smaller amount onto the MAF. And aren't MAF very very sensitive to even very small amounts of contamination to the extent that they may not work properly and throw a code if even a very small amount of contamination gets on them.

I am not 100% sure that this problem will occur, but if it were mine, I would opt for a filter that did not have a oiled media.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is there anyone out there who has used these for many miles without it causing a problem?
This filter replaced a K&N filter, which had been on there for who knows how long (I bought the car with it installed) and it has experienced no issues. But, I will keep an eye on this one and see how it does.

These filters have much less oil on them than K&N. The Ultra will not be a problem at all for your MAF :)

Plenty of oem filters are oiled.

I read somewhere that the OEM Nissan filter come pre-oiled as well. I’ll have to look into that if it’s true or not.

It might be. I know Honda uses oiled air filters in most of their recent models. The OEM Honda air filters come in a sealed plastic bag.

Strangely, Fram doesn't offer an Ultra air filter for the Hondas with OE oiled air filters :unsure:

That filter looks NOTHING like the one I just got for my 18 Subaru Legacy. Does it have a date code on it?

That filter looks NOTHING like the one I just got for my 18 Subaru Legacy. Does it have a date code on it?
I don’t have a date code on hand, but in the morning I can take a look and see if I can find one. What does your filter look like?

While this isn't the filter it looks like this.

Attachments

• 61hooqOXS7L._AC_SX679_.jpg
    61hooqOXS7L._AC_SX679_.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 27
Does yours have the yellow material? My OE filter is the same style as this one. The biggest difference between the Extra guard and Ultra Guard is the filter material.
Mine is white and I don't believe it has the metal backing yours does.

Back