Fram Ultra Air 9997 - not sure I should even use this, or take it back..?

I bought this after seeing so many recommendations on here for Fram Ultra air filters. Went out of my way to find it in stock locally. Made sure the seal wasn't broken on the box. Hoped for a rubber gasket instead of felt. Got felt. The pleats look good, but the filter itself was immediately noticeably curved on one axis. Their is one edge that should flat agant the outside of the airbox, but is instead covered in protruding globs of glue. The other side has 1/4 inch of the felt gasket hanging off the side and the accompanying glue along with it. Basically, only 2 out of 5 surfaces that should be smooth and flat are in fact smooth and flat.

Is this okay??

Part number is 9997, covers many Subarus. Wish I had just gotten a SuperTech instead. This Fram was made in China.

20220523_202738-01.jpeg
20220523_202520-01.jpeg
20220523_202624-01.jpeg
20220523_202550-01.jpeg
20220523_202610.jpg

Attachments

• 20220523_202738-01.jpeg
    20220523_202738-01.jpeg
    105.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 20220523_221450-01.jpeg
    20220523_221450-01.jpeg
    58.6 KB · Views: 30
My local WM seems to have nothing in stock for a Subaru that I actually want. Should I try to get a SuperTech, or am I chasing another false unicorn there, too? The same store that I went to for this one has SuperTech, I think. It's not too far out of the way.

Meh, I'd return it if unhappy. I'd use it in a pinch if I had to, but there really is no "have to" in air filters.

Maybe if my filter tore in half and I needed to get to store for a new one? :ROFLMAO:

sure it can be easy for anyone to blame "made in china" junk can be made anywhere. but in reality someone asked China to make that sad looking filter. Yeah @Subarudude I'd return that no matter what the name on the box is, your "car sense" is kicking in telling you not to use that in your engine! The force is strong with this one!! :cool:

Can't wait to see what @dwasifar gets delivered tomorrow..

Return it.

You’re already questioning it, and using it, you’ll be concerned, worried it’s not doing the job. Eliminate the doubt and get something different. If you can get OEM, get that and relax. If not, find a good aftermarket one at a local parts store. 😎

My local WM seems to have nothing in stock for a Subaru that I actually want. Should I try to get a SuperTech, or am I chasing another false unicorn there, too? The same store that I went to for this one has SuperTech, I think. It's not too far out of the way.

I just got an OEM filter from my local Subaru dealership because I could not find an aftermarket filter anywhere else.

Does this 'baddie' resemble what's in there now?
How does this 'baddie' resemble a Subbie filter (specifically the seal)? Mention of the felt gasket edge and what appears to be hard plastic in the photos has me scratching my head.

I believe Wally is the only place to sell the Fram Ultra's, correct? I would return that one. Last year I purchased 1 for the F150 and for the 17 3.6 Outback. They looked high quality and have performed just fine. That one look off. I have one in the garage I just checked for my kids Rav 4. Looks great. The one you posted does not inspire confidence.

Fram should be the one to blame for Quality Control not China.
It is the brand that is responsible for that.
Or, they may ask the customer, as you and I, to be their Quality Control inspector.

Also check to see what the gasket is made of. I swear I've bought an air filter with Fram orange rubber sealing, but this is just plastic with a felt gasket.

For what it's worth, the stock filter is plastic with a felt gasket:

71lnEQgR01L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

If you look carefully at the box in that photo, it says Made in USA. If you buy an oil filter from Subaru USA, it's made by Fram. I'd be surprised if the same wasn't true for air filters.

I'll send pictures when mine arrives today.

Here it is:

20220524_145835.jpg

It's a little warped but nowhere as bad as yours, maybe 1mm at the center:

20220524_145803.jpg

And it does have some sealant squeezeout, but again nowhere near as much as your photos, and not in anyplace where it would be a problem:

20220524_145813.jpg

Since the amount of warp in the frame is less than the compressibility of the felt gasket, I installed it. But I'll keep an eye on it for evidence of air leaks.

Thanks for the follow up! Your's looks better than mine, for sure. Glad to see I'm not crazy or that mine hadn't been swapped inside the box for a different filter. I really think I'm going to try to exchange mine for a SuperTech. I hate to do it, since I assume there has to be a better option in the aftermarket than this or a WalMart house brand, but it seems that might not be true necessarily.

Although your's does look better, I'm still not sure quality control should be allowing the glue spillover since that edge is supposed to sit flat against the inside of the airbox. It's not the gasket surface, but still shouldn't have protrusions.

Thanks for the follow up! Your's looks better than mine, for sure. Glad to see I'm not crazy or that mine hadn't been swapped inside the box for a different filter. I really think I'm going to try to exchange mine for a SuperTech. I hate to do it, since I assume there has to be a better option in the aftermarket than this or a WalMart house brand, but it seems that might not be true necessarily.

Although your's does look better, I'm still not sure quality control should be allowing the glue spillover since that edge is supposed to sit flat against the inside of the airbox. It's not the gasket surface, but still shouldn't have protrusions.
Think of it as buying a quality Champ air filter that happens to be in a Super Tech box.

Back