Fram tough guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed oil last tuesday on my wifes 2015 ford transit connect (2.5) with 38,000 miles. I used a Fram Tough Guard filter. After oil was filled and started, oil light stayed on. I did a oil change reset several times which had no effect on oil light. I tried a cheaper oil filter & saved the bad one.I had my wife call the dealer in the morning and see about getting van towed to dealer. She ended up driving it there. The dealer says it needs a new motor now.

Don't let the dealer mess with the filter or throw the filter away. Get possession of it and call Fram. And do not cut it open. If you have it in your possession, take a photo of the base and post it up here.

Joined today, and first post ... humm, need a photo of that filter base.

Last edited:
Maybe someone started it...then realized they didn't fill it with oil? Double gasketed the oil filter? Forgot to put the drain plug back in and realized it when the clattering happened?

Mistakes happen.

no one started engine without oil I've been doing oil changes a long time ,,,

Did you forget to add oil after the oil change?

That’s the only explanation for your story.

Not the fault of a filter if you kept running the engine with zero oil pressure.

If you can’t tell the difference between an oil pressure light and the oil service monitor, maybe leave the oil change to someone else in the future.

Welcome to the site, Harrymac.

The oil filter you used (TG) has nothing to do with the oil life monitor and reset procedure.
Further, the oil change reset procedure has absolutely nothing to do with the oil pressure sensor.

You mentioned the "oil light" came on an stayed on; are you referring to the red oil pressure light? It's possible (though incredibly unlikely) that the oil filter may have caused an oil pressure failure, but only if the filter has a massive, catastrophic failure and plugged the oil circuit.

So, per your story, we have a coincidence of events ... and oil change that results in a claimed engine failure, AND an OLM that can't be reset.

Frankly, we need more convincing details because, at a minimum, this is skeptical and borderline trolling.

I'm locking the thread for now.
Harrymac - you can message me with details and I'll decide if it warrants continued posting.

Changed oil last tuesday on my wifes 2015 ford transit connect (2.5) with 38,000 miles. I used a Fram Tough Guard filter. After oil was filled and started, oil light stayed on. I did a oil change reset several times which had no effect on oil light. I tried a cheaper oil filter & saved the bad one.I had my wife call the dealer in the morning and see about getting van towed to dealer. She ended up driving it there. The dealer says it needs a new motor now.
You never said what happened after installing the cheap filter. Also, did the dealer tell her to drive the car over there or did she take it upon herself to do so?

If you thought the vehicle needed towed, why was it driven? That failure is likely on you, but it’s still worth getting ahold of Fram and sending that filter in.

As mentioned, you never said whether or not the cheap filter fixed the oil light staying on. I’m curious if the vehicle was driven with the oil light on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back