Fram tough guard or napa gold

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Joenpb
The filtering effecientcy favors Fram slightly but I prefer the design & components of Napa Gold or Wix filters. From the compression spring to the threaded bypass (meaning bypassed oil never passes over the filter media, to the metal end caps, Napa or Wix uses better components. Fram uses a combination leaf spring & bypass valve which sits atop the filter, oil enters the filter and travels to the top over the filter media before going through the bypass valve. Leading to the possibility that some insolubles may go back into the oil system.

I don't necessarily disagree with your assessment on the surface, but ...

I'll ask you to show any credible evidence that it makes any darn difference IN REALITY.

I get the theory portion of it, but show me true proof that the location of the bypass valve makes a darn bit of difference, please. First of all, BP events are RARE, as shown a few years ago by Jim Allen's testing (typically only at cold start with high rpm). So whatever your fear is, it's simply a very rare event in the first place. Second, of the times it does happen, there is no data to show that it manifests into any real issue in terms of wear. About the ONLY time it might be an issue is if you ran the filter so darn long that it blinded the media completely and it was ALWAYS in bypass; shame on you and not the filter at that point.

Also, if the type spring used is so important, then again I'd ask you to show any true evidence that one design usurps the other. And by the way, Amsoil uses leaf springs in their EaO filters ... if you didn't know ...

And same goes for the whole topic of the end caps; there are many high end filters that use fiber caps such as those in Bentley vehicles (as if cost were an object there by any means ...)

The TG and Wix/NG are excellent filters and both have no real downside as long as you use them to a reasonable potential and don't throw them away too soon. The issues you bring up are theorhetical only and exhibit absolutely no data to show any manifestation into reality. And I would challenge you or anyone else to prove otherwise. Don't talk about what you THINK MIGHT happen; rather, PROVE it with credible data. Otherwise, it's just idle banter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
The filtering effecientcy favors Fram slightly but I prefer the design & components of Napa Gold or Wix filters. From the compression spring to the threaded bypass (meaning bypassed oil never passes over the filter media, to the metal end caps, Napa or Wix uses better components. Fram uses a combination leaf spring & bypass valve which sits atop the filter, oil enters the filter and travels to the top over the filter media before going through the bypass valve. Leading to the possibility that some insolubles may go back into the oil system.

I don't necessarily disagree with your assessment on the surface, but ...

I'll ask you to show any credible evidence that it makes any darn difference IN REALITY.

I long ago threw out any anecdotal theories about filters, bypass, ISO efficiency, etc, after reading a bunch of these threads. If one is to believe the circular of data floating around here, two of the worst performing filters out there are the Toyota OEM and the Honda branded Fram A02. And yet ironically they tend to be attached to the longest running engines ever built.

Without an expensive test lab proving a threaded bypass is more effective isnt going to happen. I did provide the names of two companies that us threaded bypass (Wix & Motocraft) and the fact that design is more expensive. The circumstantial evidence is they must be doing it that way for a reason. I'm sure they could be building filters like the lower end Fram products and increasing their margin on eac & every filter, but they don't.

The question is why?

They must believe its a better design to have a threaded bypass and oil never entering the filter during a bypass event.

Why?

It seems your answer to the question is because they can & choose that design for no particular reason.

I think not.

That's why I can choose a Napa Gold or Wix, and you can Choose a Fram Tough Gard. Neither of us has the facilities to do a real test, but we both can reason and make our decisions based on what we do know.

I also don't think asking for proof on a claim is something outrageous, that's why I used the word "may" since I don't have absolute proof, but I did provide circumstantial logic for my decision on choosing Napa Gold.

I also don't think asking for proof on a claim is something outrageous, that's why I used the word "may" since I don't have absolute proof, but I did provide circumstantial logic for my decision on choosing Napa Gold.

I'll predicate my exceptions in that we're not going to include abusive neglect of an engine and filter; the filter should not be blinded off from full particulate loading forcing the filter into permanent bypass. That is not the fault of any filter; that's a lack of routine maintenance. I'll move on from here.

Let me recap the data we do have from here:
We have testing from Jim Allen; he clearly demonstrated that BP events are RARE, and about the only way he could induce them was to do the following:
-use a lube thicker than the OEM recommendation (used 10w-30 instead of 5w-20)
-cold start (oil and engine were not warmed up)
-purposeful high rpm (he stepped on the throttle to greatly increase the pressure from the pump
All these were simultaneous, and even when it did happen, that event of the bypass opening on his F150 5.4L engine was for a period of time of VERY short duration; typically a second or less. So unless you are in the habit of using too thick oil, and starting your engine at WOT, the BP feature in the filter is practically moot because it never opens, and even when it does, it's for a very short time.

Therefore, using your "circumstantial logic", I'll expand it out some more ...

One of two of the following statements MUST be true; it cannot be otherwise:
1) the BP rarely opens
2) the BP opens frequently

Jim's data shows condition 1 to be true. Therefore the "benefit" of the location is moot; it rarely if ever comes into play, and you'd have to prove that this RARE event had enough time to actually cause a discernible effect in wear by allowing unfiltered oil to the engine.

However, even if you don't want to believe that condition 1 is true, then you have to concede that condition 2 is true; it would open frequently. If this is true, and for your theory to be correct in that the location of the BP valve actually makes a difference, we'd expect to see lots of data to show that the event of bypass in the filter actually manifested into some sort of wear escalation relative to the BP location in the filter. If the events are frequent, and using your theory that it actually matters, then we should expect to see tangible data that conclusively proves wear is affected. Right? And yet we don't.

Either way, to be able to show some short of credible usefulness to the BP location, there should be data that would indicate the position of the valve makes a difference. UOA data clearly shows no such disparity. And anecdotal evidence of a bazillion vehicles using both type systems successfully also cannot be ignored.

So again, you are welcome to believe what you wish, but I see NOT ONE SHRED of PROOF that it makes a difference.

It is a matter of two roads leading to the same destination. Both systems are rarely employed, and when they do, it matters not as to their location, in terms of real world wear affecting the equipment.

I do understand your theory, but your theory is limited in that it does not utilize the expectation of the outcome. For your theory to be believable, we should see some sort of disparity of performance in wear control outside "normal" variance. But we don't. So your theory, while solid on the surface, has no real foundation to stand upon.

And I hope I'm not coming off as rude, because I too was of your opinion many years ago. And I had a bias against the "cardboard" end caps. And a bias against conventional lubes. But after (literally) tens of thousands of UOAs collected in my database, and seeing hundreds upon hundreds of filter PCs, I've come to the conclusion that once a system is "good enough" to provide safe operation, any nuance or changes in that system are just a pittance of noise.

The reality is that it either rarely happens, and therefore makes no difference due to a super low occurrence rate, or it happens all the time, and the lack of disparity in wear results shows the effect is meaningless. Does not matter which you believe to be true; they both end up at the same conclusion - it does not matter to a reasonably maintained machine.

I will concede that if you did NOT FCI at the appropriate time (to avoid full media loading), and the media was rife with so much particulate that the opening of the BP valve in the filter actually did displace contamination from the media back into the flow stream, then it would conceivably make a difference. But again, how is that the fault of the filter design? It's not! It's human negligence. And I don't blame things for causation found elsewhere. And again, why do we not see this proof? Because most all machines are reasonably maintained. And I can assure you no BITOGGER EVER, EVER left his filter on the engine so long as to blind off the media. Therefore the location of the BP valve is of no consequence to a BITOGGER; he'll never let the filter get into that condition where it might actually make a difference.

Last edited:
Quote:
We have testing from Jim Allen; he clearly demonstrated that BP events are RARE, and about the only way he could induce them was to do the following:
-purposeful high rpm (he stepped on the throttle to greatly increase the pressure from the pump.

If testing proved the engine went into bypass when the engine and oil were cold, wouldn't that mean in certain parts of the country the filter would go into bypass most every winter morning? Maybe when the car was started at the end of a work day if not driven for 8 hours too? It would also go into bypass for longer than 1 second under such circumstances, since it would take some time for the oil and engine to start warming up. I don't see a 1 second bypass as very beneficial, certainly most of the oil in the sump hasn't been pumped or even stated warming up in 1 second. Most Fords use 5w20 so they very well might be in bypass less time than cars that use a heavier oil.

I also can see someone driving on the highway and flooring the accelerator to get around an 18 wheeler or camper, and the filter going into bypass, albeit not often or long.

I agree that when its warm and the car is just tooling around town it isn't in bypass at all, but I think during winter months in a large section of the country, the oil filter certainly is in bypass most every day, sometimes 2 or more times.

I believe you're underestimating how often and how long these bypass events happen.

Quote:
then you have to concede that condition 2 is true; it would open frequently. If this is true, and for your theory to be correct in that the location of the BP valve actually makes a difference, we'd expect to see lots of data to show that the event of bypass in the filter actually manifested into some sort of wear escalation relative to the BP location in the filter. If the events are frequent, and using your theory that it actually matters, then we should expect to see tangible data that conclusively proves wear is affected. Right? And yet we don't.

This is the same argument the cigarette industry used for decades, because lung cancer from cigarette smoke often takes decades to develop. In this case the extra wear of an engine isn't likely to be documented because the car has a lot of miles and is traded in, the verdict, the car is old and worn out.

How much extra was due to a top of the filter bypass? Probably more if you live in Duluth than Miami, lol.

Jim Allen Quote from his industry contact:

Quote:
....2- He said that "generally" a threaded end bypass is slightly better in most applications BUT he also said that there have been a lot of functional problems with the dome end valves on the market sticking open. He says it comes down to cost. The example he used is that it takes a $1.50 to make a threaded end valve that will equal the reliability of a $0.50 dome end valve. From there, you do the math.

My biggest question has always been how often does the average filter bypass. He chuckled at that and said something like "We'd all like to know that."

Thread End vs Dome End Bypass?

I see in that thread I mentioned using the Royal Purple Filter, I've since changed to Motorcraft and Wix after good UOAs.

Originally Posted By: jhellwig
Originally Posted By: R80RS
They will both filter motor oil.

The question is under what conditions, for how long of an interval, what's the condition of the engine, is cost a consideration?

2000 miles in a 1972 ford pinto with 20w-50 weight API sg quakerstate conventional driven 32 miles twice a day in Hastings, Nebraska during the spring with temps 3.2 degrees above average.

OK, thanks for clarifying. Since the vehicle is being used in Hastings, Nebraska, that changes everything. In that case, forget about TG vs. NAPA Gold and only use a Luber Finer with a chicken wire catch screen and a left-handed thread adapter.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: jhellwig
They will both filter motor oil.

The question is under what conditions, for how long of an interval, what's the condition of the engine, is cost a consideration?

2000 miles in a 1972 ford pinto with 20w-50 weight API sg quakerstate conventional driven 32 miles twice a day in Hastings, Nebraska during the spring with temps 3.2 degrees above average.

OK, thanks for clarifying. Since the vehicle is being used in Hastings, Nebraska, that changes everything. In that case, forget about TG vs. NAPA Gold and only use a Luber Finer with a chicken wire catch screen and a left-handed thread adapter.
grin.gif

I was wrong. I should have said 47 miles to 4400 East Highway 30 Kearney, Nebraska. I was guessing on the miles at first. Either way luberfiner is the incorrect answer and the correct answer is in the town name.

Last edited:
Quote:
-purposeful high rpm (he stepped on the throttle to greatly increase the pressure from the pump.

If testing proved the engine went into bypass when the engine and oil were cold, wouldn't that mean in certain parts of the country the filter would go into bypass most every winter morning? Maybe when the car was started at the end of a work day if not driven for 8 hours too? It would also go into bypass for longer than 1 second under such circumstances, since it would take some time for the oil and engine to start warming up. I don't see a 1 second bypass as very beneficial, certainly most of the oil in the sump hasn't been pumped or even stated warming up in 1 second. Most Fords use 5w20 so they very well might be in bypass less time than cars that use a heavier oil.

I also can see someone driving on the highway and flooring the accelerator to get around an 18 wheeler or camper, and the filter going into bypass, albeit not often or long.

I agree that when its warm and the car is just tooling around town it isn't in bypass at all, but I think during winter months in a large section of the country, the oil filter certainly is in bypass most every day, sometimes 2 or more times.

I believe you're underestimating how often and how long these bypass events happen.

Quote:
then you have to concede that condition 2 is true; it would open frequently. If this is true, and for your theory to be correct in that the location of the BP valve actually makes a difference, we'd expect to see lots of data to show that the event of bypass in the filter actually manifested into some sort of wear escalation relative to the BP location in the filter. If the events are frequent, and using your theory that it actually matters, then we should expect to see tangible data that conclusively proves wear is affected. Right? And yet we don't.

This is the same argument the cigarette industry used for decades, because lung cancer from cigarette smoke often takes decades to develop. In this case the extra wear of an engine isn't likely to be documented because the car has a lot of miles and is traded in, the verdict, the car is old and worn out.

How much extra was due to a top of the filter bypass? Probably more if you live in Duluth than Miami, lol.

It is not that one of those conditions were met for the filter to be in bypass; it's that ALL of those had to be present for Jim to be able to get it into bypass, and it was for a VERY brief moment in time.

When is comes to your tobacco industry example, I disagree. They were biased; I am not. I have no dog in the hunt other than seeking the truth. They were trying to limit their own exposure and evade the liability. I have no such motives; I'm just a guy who wants the truth based upon raw data and not conjecture and theory. Therefore, my statement has total merit; one of those conditions MUST be true:
either the BP opens often, or it does not.
If it does, and we are of the opinion that it matters, then there should be evidence that wear rates are affected.

None exists. Therefore, that condition must be untrue. Just because you want it to be true, and think the theory should be true, does not make it so. And to the contrary, I have mounds upon mounds of UOA data (tens of thousands of UOAs for all forms of equipment and lubes and filters) that shows "normal" behavior (defined as typical wear protection and resultant wear rates) is not unexpected, regardless of the BP valve location. And, there is, to my knowledge, no study in the SAE files that supports your theory. There is absolutely no data whatsoever, that shows the location of the bypass valve having any real world tangible effect in wear rates over long term operation. It is all theory and guesses; not one study I am aware of exists to prove this to be true.

If you want to know for sure, I will offer my assistance in developing the DOE and managing the data for a trial to prove the theory; I do statistical process quality control for a living. But I doubt you have the time/money for such an endeavor because the investment would take hundreds of thousands of miles, barrel upon barrel of lube, and use a minimum of 30 vehicles over several years.

I think you're putting too much credence in Jim Allen's testing, which I think was flawed. Even if it was correct on his engine, which i don't believe it was, it doesn't cover every engine and grade of oil.

Quote:
Jim Allen Quote from his industry contact:

Quote:
....My biggest question has always been how often does the average filter bypass. He chuckled at that and said something like "We'd all like to know that."

Industry experts who do a lot of testing don't know for sure how often a car goes into bypass. I think it depends on location, time of year, engine, & grade of oil, but it's certainly more for many than every blue moon for 1 second.

Industry experts who do a lot of testing don't know for sure how often a car goes into bypass. I think it depends on location, time of year, engine, & grade of oil, but it's certainly more for many than every blue moon for 1 second.

It could certainly be modeled well by engineers who design oil filters and take into account the worse case scenario that a particular oil filter model will encounter during use. They can also simulate the worse case use scenarios in the lab with real oil filters and test instrumentation. I would hope that kind of engineering detail goes into an oil filter's design so the bypass valve setting has been set to minimize bypass events.

The best thing that can be done is controlled by the vehicle operator, that being keep the engine RPM down low until the oil is near full operating temperature. Once the oil is at full temperature, it would be almost impossible to make the oil filter go into bypass mode unless it was very clogged up.

My oil filter goes into bypass on every pass I do at the track. lol In cold frigid conditions its preferable to have an oil filter in bypass until the oil is flowing near normal than having a bypass set too high, and it never being used. Keeping the engine lubed in any condition is ultimately the goal of an oil system, filtration is good too, but secondary.

^^^ Yeah, I've watched guys drag race their cars and they sit on the staging lane for long periods and then fire the car up for 3 minutes before a WOT run down the 1/4 miles. It's that kind of situation that could certainly make the bypass valve open up.

Having a filter bypass valve set high shouldn't cut down the flow with a positive displacement oil pump, but it will cause higher delta-p across the filter until the bypass valve opens up. Filters that have high bypass valve settings must be designed to withstand that higher delta-p without causing a media failure or center tube collapse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back