FRAM TOUGH GUARD 4967 CUT OPEN

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Originally Posted by oldhp
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Looks ok. I'd spend $4 more and buy an Ultra.

This here.

If a FRAM ULTRA was IMO reasonably priced I'd gladly buy one. BUT, since Chris likes me and sent me the ULTRA 3614 why not use it?
lol.gif

Missed the "free" part. The only thing better than free is if they give you money and the filter.
cheers3.gif

Not sure why all the "I'd buy an Ultra" posts since this clearly held up fine even though it was probably used passed it's recommended interval.

Compared to what we've seen recently, of this one I just have to say.... ICK. I know it went 28k, but to me this C&P shows why, if you're anal/paranoid/OCD, you should buy a synthetic media filter with wire backing.

Oh, and Adam, I don't remember why I sent you the 3614, because that's what my new DustBuster-van (Transit Connect) takes! Anyways, enjoy the infinite ROI of this OCI... you gonna run this one 50k+ since it's rated for twice the TG?
lol.gif

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Not sure why all the "I'd buy an Ultra" posts since this clearly held up fine even though it was probably used passed it's recommended interval.

01.gif

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Compared to what we've seen recently, of this one I just have to say.... ICK. I know it went 28k, but to me this C&P shows why, if you're anal/paranoid/OCD, you should buy a synthetic media filter with wire backing.

Oh, and Adam, I don't remember why I sent you the 3614, because that's what my new DustBuster-van (Transit Connect) takes! Anyways, enjoy the infinite ROI of this OCI... you gonna run this one 50k+ since it's rated for twice the TG?
lol.gif

Probably will
smile.gif

Awesome, Adam!

I'm finally going to get around to cutting open my 50,000 mile Tough Guard this weekend,
grin2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
stay tuned!

Originally Posted by Linctex
Awesome, Adam!

I'm finally going to get around to cutting open my 50,000 mile Tough Guard this weekend,
grin2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
stay tuned!

I've been anxiously waiting for this, thanks!

Originally Posted by jeepman3071

Biggest reason is, an Ultra can handle this amount of abuse without folding pleats over & possibly distorting endcaps, and an Ultra (until recently) wasn't much more expensive than a Tough Guard. I'm waiting for someone to try 20,000 on the new 10K rated Extra Guard (not me, it would take years to put 20K on the Express), the new PH filters look almost identical to the Tough Guard.

Awesome, Adam!

grin2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
stay tuned!

Cannot wait
smile.gif

Awesome, Adam!

grin2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
stay tuned!

What vehicle and year is this? My Florist Shop wants to know.... where to send the Final Rest bouquet?....lol

That is a tiny filter lol. Looks like it did well holding up well past it's designed limits. I am not a Fram fan (except for the ultra) but hard to argue with proven results!

Thanks for all you do! You eliminate the opinions on here and give us the DATA - priceless! I have a bunch of old filters I should send to you lol

Originally Posted by GMBoy
That is a tiny filter lol. Looks like it did well holding up well past it's designed limits. I am not a Fram fan (except for the ultra) but hard to argue with proven results!

Thanks for all you do! You eliminate the opinions on here and give us the DATA - priceless! I have a bunch of old filters I should send to you lol

Yes, it's smaller than the 4386.

You are welcome, and if you would like to mail me some filters feel free to PM me.

Thanks

Wow thanks so much for going 28k miles on that TG filter. It held up well. Anybody know its nominal distance?

I just picked up some Ryco Syntec oil filters
https://www.rycofilters.com.au/Syntec_Oil_Filters

They are synthetic media with wire mesh backing and silicone ADV. So I'm thinking of changing it every second oil change (2 x 6k miles). You have made me realise that this is a very real option. Thank You !

Good Evening BITOGERS
smile.gif

Since we had 65F weather here today, I ventured out and changed the oil and filter in and on the Camry. Tough Guard filter had 28,200 miles on it
shocked2.gif

Ohh, the HORROR! Put some Mobil 1 0w30 DEXOS 1 GEN2 and a FRAM ULTRA 3614 from Chris (Subyrubieroo) in and on. Previous oils ran for the whole 28,200 miles were M1 0w30, Rotella gas Truck 5w20, Valvoline Maxlife Syn 10w30 that had sodium add pack and some new Valvoline Maxlife syn 5w20. YES, oil was jet black; thanks to multiple KREEN doses in sump and lots in the fuel. I use Valero and Shell fuel.

Seam looked fine, sorry I didnt take a pic of that.

Enjoy the photos
smile.gif

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Did you run this filter for 28,200? If so, why so long without changing it?

Originally Posted by SR5
Wow thanks so much for going 28k miles on that TG filter. It held up well. Anybody know its nominal distance?

I just picked up some Ryco Syntec oil filters
https://www.rycofilters.com.au/Syntec_Oil_Filters

They are synthetic media with wire mesh backing and silicone ADV. So I'm thinking of changing it every second oil change (2 x 6k miles). You have made me realise that this is a very real option. Thank You !

Good Day SR5
smile.gif

Glad I could help and stay safe down there
smile.gif

Originally Posted by LTZ10
Good Evening BITOGERS
smile.gif

Since we had 65F weather here today, I ventured out and changed the oil and filter in and on the Camry. Tough Guard filter had 28,200 miles on it
shocked2.gif

Ohh, the HORROR! Put some Mobil 1 0w30 DEXOS 1 GEN2 and a FRAM ULTRA 3614 from Chris (Subyrubieroo) in and on. Previous oils ran for the whole 28,200 miles were M1 0w30, Rotella gas Truck 5w20, Valvoline Maxlife Syn 10w30 that had sodium add pack and some new Valvoline Maxlife syn 5w20. YES, oil was jet black; thanks to multiple KREEN doses in sump and lots in the fuel. I use Valero and Shell fuel.

Seam looked fine, sorry I didnt take a pic of that.

Enjoy the photos
smile.gif

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Did you run this filter for 28,200? If so, why so long without changing it?

I ran a tough guard before this one a long while and I don't mind using Tough Guard filters. Used them exclusively on a 98' Bonneville of mine for life of the car without issues. After I've ran the ULTRA XG 3614 I have a few Bosch D+ filters and some ST 4386 to use up

Looks like a Extra Guard in a TOUGH Gaurd canister.... Hmmmm

The only Fram I like is the Ultra....

I hear the TOUGH GAURD is good.... What bugs me is when you cut them open they always look in bad shape compared to the Fram Ultra and even other filters... but they must be doing somthing.

Originally Posted by David1

I hear the TOUGH GAURD is good.... What bugs me is when you cut them open they always look in bad shape compared to the Fram Ultra and even other filters... but they must be doing somthing.

Not sure what that's supposed to mean 🤔🤔

Originally Posted by David1

Not sure what that's supposed to mean 🤔🤔

He doesn't realize that the EG and TG do look the same, but the media (efficiency and holding capacity/rated mileage of use) is what's different between them.

Originally Posted by SR5

Found it.

Looks like a Fram Tough Guard is synblend media and rated to 10k miles.
Fram Ultra is full synthetic media and rated to 20k miles.

They then opt out and say "Note: Follow recommended change intervals as noted in your vehicle owner's manual."

I'm with 53' Stude and think they have a bit more distance in them than one OCI if your car is in good condition and you are running good oil.

Originally Posted by SR5
Originally Posted by SR5

Found it.

Looks like a Fram Tough Guard is synblend media and rated to 10k miles.
Fram Ultra is full synthetic media and rated to 20k miles.

They then opt out and say "Note: Follow recommended change intervals as noted in your vehicle owner's manual."

Pretty much every known brand oil filter manufacturers uses the same basic language.

In a situation like on a Honda with an OLM and a service manual that says change the oil filter every other OCI, the filter could go over 10K miles. But if you fall back on the "follow recommended change intervals in your vehicles owner's manual" by the filter maker, then that will override their "rated to 10K miles" statement.

Back