FRAM TOUGH GUARD 4967 CUT OPEN

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
For having 28K miles on it, it looks great!

I agree

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Adam-keep an eye on eBay, there have been some decent deals lately-I picked up 4 FPS4967s (Fram Pro Synthetic, Ultra without the Sure Grip) for $6.35 each recently, you shouldn't have to pay $8.99 for them!

Thanks, will do

Adam … think you ran it so long that the end caps started to filter oil, LoL ...‚
Guess it earned the "Tough" stripes ... Thanks for C&P

53' Stude - can you give a little more info / details about the KREEN treatment? Would like to do it on my 09 Camry to help slow down oil consumption.

Originally Posted by diyjake
53' Stude - can you give a little more info / details about the KREEN treatment? Would like to do it on my 09 Camry to help slow down oil consumption.

Most folks remove spark plugs and and do overnight soak for best results. I just followed directions on can and added straight to oil. And gas

Originally Posted by 4WD
Adam … think you ran it so long that the end caps started to filter oil, LoL ...‚
Guess it earned the "Tough" stripes ... Thanks for C&P

You are welcome and yeah it did its job
lol.gif

How long did you run the KREEN in the motor?

I put it in near and of a 5k run

That's a lot of miles on a filter and it held up well !
I'm to chicken 💩 to try and run a filter that long 🤣
Good job sir !
Thanks for the post

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kstanf150
Good job sir !
Thanks for the post

You are welcome sir
smile.gif

The thing is the filter held up but how well did it filter say after 5 or 10k?

Not sure to be honest

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Originally Posted by kstanf150
Good job sir !
Thanks for the post

You are welcome sir
smile.gif

I reckon that filter would have looked much dirtier, had no Kreen treatments occurred.
Dang, that's disappointing! I was hoping to see one messy, nasty, ugly, filthy oil filter...... and it's not that bad at all. Next time - no Kreen baths.....OK?
48.gif

Triple_Se7en: I doubt that on not using KREEN. Seems no matter what oil I use in the Camry it's usually this black.

Stude - that was one tough filter (no pin intended). Amazing how the tides have turned with the various brands.

Thanks for the C&P.

PS...ever try a Berryman B-12 piston soak?

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Stude - that was one tough filter (no pin intended). Amazing how the tides have turned with the various brands.

Thanks for the C&P.

PS...ever try a Berryman B-12 piston soak?

Sir: I have not. I know from reading Trav's posts that KREEN does work.

Yeah, it was toss up between Bosch D+ equivalent to 4967 or Ultra

RE: the filter ...

Good anecdotal evidence that at least the filter was capable far past it's "rated" distance. While not desirable, that exposure really didn't illicit any significant failure. This type of overly-long FCI is rare, and so we have little data to really rely on. What few examples we see often end up being not as bad as folks would think.

What's apparent to me is that if a filter has a weakness, it's going to show up in some manner. If not, it'll last far longer than we'd give it credit for. Unfortunately, because a filter is a sealed component, we never know if a failure happened until dissection after the fact.

Originally Posted by dnewton3
RE: the filter ...

Good anecdotal evidence that at least the filter was capable far past it's "rated" distance. While not desirable, that exposure really didn't illicit any significant failure. This type of overly-long FCI is rare, and so we have little data to really rely on. What few examples we see often end up being not as bad as folks would think.

What's apparent to me is that if a filter has a weakness, it's going to show up in some manner. If not, it'll last far longer than we'd give it credit for. Unfortunately, because a filter is a sealed component, we never know if a failure happened until dissection after the fact.

Yeah you're just kinda shooting in the dark with spin on filters. Can't really tell if they are good or bad until removed and cut open. I prefer the dirty, nasty cartridge filters but they are almost a thing of the past. I posted c&p on here several years ago of a well respected filter that the ADBV wouldn't hold. I didn't particularly like that it had to be reprimed at every start so I pulled it and cut it to find burs on the face plate. Also found two pleats folded over and the ends not glued to the end cap. I still have several of those filters in the box. Just can't fathom trying them again.

Back