Fram Titanium

Originally Posted by bbhero
Really good post here in my opinion. ^^^^^^^

Very well stated.

Thank you.

On the subject of the Fram Titanium 9688 specifically the most major difference is in the fact that the inlet holes on the baseplate are substantially larger than on any of the other Fram 9688 series filters. Of note after I cut open the Ultra XG9688 from the Hyundai I noticed a fair amount of black grit that had accumulated on the dirty side of the filter along the can. I could see how that could easily clog the smaller inlet holes yet easily pass through on the Titanium.

Also the filter position underneath this Hyundai engine can make taking the filter off difficult even with a wrench if lying on your back like I do. Fran's suregrip material makes it easier to do by hand and the more there is the better. Seeing as how the Titanium filter is covered with suregrip it will make a huge difference.

I think it is great and totally worth buying, just make sure to work the discount game.

Absolutely... I believe that the Fram Titanium or Force will be part of their ads in the coming months.

And I like the whole can having a grippy texture on it.

The Titanium filter I have will go on my car's next run.

Originally Posted by incognito_2u
Originally Posted by kstanf150
For $15 bucks 🤔
No thanks !

+1.......I'll stick with my $8.97 Fram Ultras from the WM......

You can buy 6-packs of Fram Ultras on eBay for usually about $24 ($6 each)

Originally Posted by Ignatius
I noticed a fair amount of black grit that had accumulated on the dirty side of the filter along the can. I could see how that could easily clog the smaller inlet holes yet easily pass through on the Titanium..

No..... not unless your engine is producing particles the size of BB's....

And if you have pieces that large going through your oil pump,
you have MUCH MUCH MUCH bigger problems to solve
shocked2.gif

On the subject of the Fram Titanium 9688 specifically the most major difference is in the fact that the inlet holes on the baseplate are substantially larger than on any of the other Fram 9688 series filters. Of note after I cut open the Ultra XG9688 from the Hyundai I noticed a fair amount of black grit that had accumulated on the dirty side of the filter along the can. I could see how that could easily clog the smaller inlet holes yet easily pass through on the Titanium.

Those larger inlet holes on the Titanium might decrease the delta-p across the filter by 0.1 PSI or less. The Ultras have adequate base plate hole area, total is more than the filter mounting spud hole diameter.

Re: second red sentence. Are you saying you think the grit on the dirty side of the filter goes through the base plate holes?
21.gif

Originally Posted by Linctex
I noticed a fair amount of black grit that had accumulated on the dirty side of the filter along the can. I could see how that could easily clog the smaller inlet holes yet easily pass through on the Titanium..

shocked2.gif

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

Those larger inlet holes on the Titanium might decrease the delta-p across the filter by 0.1 PSI or less. The Ultras have adequate base plate hole area, total is more than the filter mounting spud hole diameter.

Re: second red sentence. Are you saying you think the grit on the dirty side of the filter goes through the base plate holes?
21.gif

What I said, I said to simply illustrate a point about the size of inlet holes on the baseplate and how it is easier to pass through a larger opening versus a smaller one. My apologies if I have fostered any exaggerated interpretation about what passes through into the filter.

Yes this engine has a problem in being dirty internally and producing a soot like substance that contaminates the oil and has contributed, in my estimation, to the shortening of the usefulness of the oil filter.

MachineryLubrication.com produced an excellent article available online on this subject entitled, "Get Ready for More Soot In Engine Oil" that I would recommend to anyone who is interested in more perspective.

shocked2.gif

21.gif

What I said, I said to simply illustrate a point about the size of inlet holes on the baseplate and how it is easier to pass through a larger opening versus a smaller one. My apologies if I have fostered any exaggerated interpretation about what passes through into the filter.

Yes this engine has a problem in being dirty internally and producing a soot like substance that contaminates the oil and has contributed, in my estimation, to the shortening of the usefulness of the oil filter.

MachineryLubrication.com produced an excellent article available online on this subject entitled, "Get Ready for More Soot In Engine Oil" that I would recommend to anyone who is interested in more perspective.
Ignatius-any chance of cutting that filter open, or sending it to car51 (or even me) to cut it open? I would be interested in seeing how much debris it takes to cause trouble in an Ultra (bc the Express in my sig has some carbon/sludge buildup that a tiny XG10060 will have to handle).

For $15 bucks 🤔
No thanks !

Actually around $4 each, but the cheap 6 packs only seem to be on certain filters.

What I said, I said to simply illustrate a point about the size of inlet holes on the baseplate and how it is easier to pass through a larger opening versus a smaller one.

Your engine will never know the difference since the PD oil pump would only have to put out a few extra tenths of a PSI for slightly smaller holes like in the regular Ultra. It looks cool and all, but it's just a feature they have used to make the filter look more special.

What I said, I said to simply illustrate a point about the size of inlet holes on the baseplate and how it is easier to pass through a larger opening versus a smaller one.

Your engine will never know the difference since the PD oil pump would only have to put out a few extra tenths of a PSI for slightly smaller holes like in the regular Ultra. It looks cool and all, but it's just a feature they have used to make the filter look more special.

Have you looked up the patent to see what the reason for the teardrop holes is? The flow reason is true but you would think Fram patented the holes with some reason behind it. I suspect the sides being smaller sets up some kind of direction or bending of the flow pattern. I don't think patents are issued for making something appear special.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
For $15 bucks 🤔
No thanks !

Actually around $4 each, but the cheap 6 packs only seem to be on certain filters.

For whatever it's worth......just my $.02 cents worth

I went by my local Advance Auto today and looked at the
"So Called New Fram Filter "

Not impressed
Light weight....the Fram logo was only half on the filter
Most was missing

I know that doesn't make a filter
But for $15 bucks

Naw
I ain't buying !!!

Originally Posted by Farnsworth

Have you looked up the patent to see what the reason for the teardrop holes is? The flow reason is true but you would think Fram patented the holes with some reason behind it. I suspect the sides being smaller sets up some kind of direction or bending of the flow pattern. I don't think patents are issued for making something appear special.

Have you? If so, post up a link to the patent. The newest patent Fram shows on their website was granted on 9/20/2011.

Changing the "direction" of oil flow into the filter isn't going to do jack for filtering or flow performance - especially when the flow has to go over and around the lifted ADBV which would change the direction just like if the holes were regular round holes.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle

shocked2.gif

21.gif

Ignatius-any chance of cutting that filter open, or sending it to car51 (or even me) to cut it open? I would be interested in seeing how much debris it takes to cause trouble in an Ultra (bc the Express in my sig has some carbon/sludge buildup that a tiny XG10060 will have to handle).

I did cut it open and the filter media was completely saturated, in my estimation, with black grit. There was not a build up of gunk in between the pleats though. I can try posting pictures in a new thread later if you or anyone else would prefer.

I did cut it open and the filter media was completely saturated, in my estimation, with black grit. There was not a build up of gunk in between the pleats though. I can try posting pictures in a new thread later if you or anyone else would prefer.

Sounds like it did what a filter is supposed to do ... catch and hold debris.

Sounds like it did what a filter is supposed to do ... catch and hold debris.

Yes but there are a few things I am taking into consideration related to the filter and the engine:

1. The GDI engine in my Hyundai has a reputation for being extremely picky about oil filters, it is common for a distinct engine tick to develop which is related to the oil filter used or some other variable related to the oil filter. The engine also has a reputation for producing an excessive amount of carbon soot.

2. The Fram Ultra is rated for 20,000 miles and the one I used caused an engine tick to occur after less than 9000 miles in usage. Upon cutting open the filter and inspecting it there was evidence of soot saturating the media.

3. Upon changing the oil and oil filter the engine tick went away.

Ignatius,

Yes. Please post the photos !!!

I'm currently taking a Fram Ultra to 30K miles on a 2 year old car.

Each drain I will add 4.5 quarts of oil, run the engine for 5 minutes, drain the oil and add 4.5 quarts to get all the old oil out of filter. Drive 7.5K miles and repeat.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice

Each drain I will add 4.5 quarts of oil, run the engine for 5 minutes, drain the oil and add 4.5 quarts to get all the old oil out of filter. Drive 7.5K miles and repeat.

You are using 4.5 quarts of good oil to flush out maybe 0.5 quart of old oil. This is a waste of good oil, in my opinion. Just leave the old oil in there, it will be fine. Besides, the old oil should still have some % useful life left and was not actively destroying your engine before it was drained. But it's your car and your money, just adding my $0.02.

Originally Posted by DGXR
Originally Posted by Mr Nice

You are using 4.5 quarts of good oil to flush out maybe 0.5 quart of old oil. This is a waste of good oil, in my opinion. Just leave the old oil in there, it will be fine. Besides, the old oil should still have some % useful life left and was not actively destroying your engine before it was drained. But it's your car and your money, just adding my $0.02.

I would have drained the oil - then uninstalled the filter - drained the filter - reinstalled it and filled the engine with new oil.

Back