Fram Titanium FS10575 C&P

BrendanC

$100 site donor 2024
2018 Chevrolet 1500 5.3L L86 93,661miles
in service 5700 miles

out/off: 8 quarts Valvoline EP HM 0w-20 with Fram titanium FS10575

in/on: 1.5 quarts HPL EC30 and 6.5quarts Valvoline Restore and Protect 5w-30 and Fram Endurance FE10575

that one spot in the filter is nasty looking but no tears that i can see. this is the reason i stopped using these if i can help it.

IMG_6663.jpeg

IMG_6664.jpeg

IMG_6665.jpeg

IMG_6666.jpeg

IMG_6667.jpeg

IMG_6668.jpeg

IMG_6669.jpeg

IMG_6670.jpeg

IMG_6671.jpeg

IMG_6672.jpeg

Where o' where did the wire backing go... Pic #3 would've never happened in just 5.7k miles. To go their rated 20k in this engine no way. When a cheap Premium Guard can keep its pleats together w/o distorting it's hard to recommend this filter line. Thanks for cutting.

Where o' where did the wire backing go... Pic #3 would've never happened in just 5.7k miles. To go their rated 20k in this engine no way. When a cheap Premium Guard can keep its pleats together w/o distorting it's hard to recommend this filter line. Thanks for cutting.
Any bottom tier jobber filter could have looked this good from RA. For a $1.50

Definitely ugly … no butterface allowed in centerfolds. 😄

Fram would make top the list of the waviness award. OP should try pulling the pleats sideway to see if it tears easily.
Yup ... lots of cellulose blended media seems to "tear easily" if you push it sideways - I've done that "test" on filters I've cut open. That's why some tear in service (like seen in the classic Purolator tearing at the pleat base), and it can happen with not many miles on the filter. If the media is stiff and brittle, that's a factor involved with pleat base tearing when the pleats are widely spaced, when the pleat "V" is wide on the outside circumference of the folds. If the pleat "V" is wide on the inside circumference, the forces on the pleat is less likely to tear. Tears down deep in the pleat is basically a media "blow-out" (more likely on an eCore center tube), not a tear at the pleat base like seen on the outside pleat Vs.

Last edited:
Yup ... lots of cellulose blended media seems to "tear easily" if you push it sideways - I've done that "test" on filters I've cut open. That's why some tear in service (like seen in the classic Purolator tearing at the pleat base), and it can happen with not many miles on the filter. If the media is stiff and brittle, that's a factor involved with pleat base tearing when the pleats are wideley spaced.
I did it on the new gen XG3600 and surprisingly enough it was fairly tough pulling it sideways to inspect the valley of the pleats and didn't tear. It had the same toughness media feeling as the previous Toyota filters I used on my vehicle. I didn't run it long enough for it to get as wavy and dark as this one.

What's the date code on this filter? It has a center tube with holes, so probably not too new.

I did it on the new gen XG3600 and surprisingly enough it was fairly tough pulling it sideways to inspect the valley of the pleats and didn't tear. It had the same toughness media feeling as the previous Toyota filters I used on my vehicle. I didn't run it long enough for it to get as wavy and dark as this one.
What was the date code on that one if you know? That other really ugly non-wire backed that BendanC posted was a pretty early build non-wire backed filter. Newer date code ones don't seem to come out as ugly as that, so could be there's a reason why some look real ugly and others don't really look bad at all. Is it use conditions, is it media change/variance - a combo of factors ... ?? Date code correlation might show some kind of trend.

What was the date code on that one if you know? That other really ugly non-wire backed that BendanC posted was a pretty early build non-wire backed filter. Newer date code ones don't seem to come out as ugly as that, so could be there's a reason why some look real ugly and others don't really look bad at all. Is it use conditions, is it media change/variance - a combo of factors ... ?? Date code correlation might show some kind of trend.
I posted a thread on it cut opened a few months back in fall 2023. You was the one that actually decoded the batch code if I remember based on photos. One I had has louvers than punched holes center tube.

I posted a thread on it cut opened a few months back in fall 2023. You was the one that actually decoded the batch code if I remember based on photos. One I had has louvers than punched holes center tube.
I can't recall every oil filter date code I decoded on BITOG. 😄 ;) If it had louvers, then it's not an early non-wire backed model.

Back