Fram titanium causing tap/knock on cold starts

Toyotas easily go 350,000 miles running quicky lube filters and bulk oil .

15-30F

0w20. Been using 5w30 since 15k miles, I’m at 120k with no issues so far.
15-30F with 5W-30 shouldn't be causing any cold start-up issues. If the engine is making noises for more than 5~10 sec after a cold start-up, then my guess is a hydraulic lifter maybe me leaking down due to the filter ADBV leaking. When I did the valve springs in my Z06, all the lifters leaked down from me turning the engine over many times by hand. When I finished the job and fired up the engine it made scary noises for 20~30 minutes before all the hydraulic lifters pumped fully back up.

then my guess is a hydraulic lifter maybe me leaking down due to the filter ADBV leaking.
How can you say that the ADBV is leaking when we don't know the vehicle in question ? Right now we are assuming it's a Tundra with a 2.7 L and oil filter mounts with inlet holes toward the sky which means the ADBV is irrelevant.

Reactions: Job
If you believe the “Fran“ is causing this, then why are you leaving it on there?

Change the filter.

How can you say that the ADBV is leaking when we don't know the vehicle in question ? Right now we are assuming it's a Tundra with a 2.7 L and oil filter mounts with inlet holes toward the sky which means the ADBV is irrelevant.
Because it really doesn't matter where an oil filter is mounted or its orientation, if the ADBV leaks, then any oil in the galleries can still drain out.

Based on a previous uoa thread he started, 2016 Toyota Tacoma 2.7 4cyl. Since I was curious as well. OEM filters here are 4.25 from the dealer parts dept. He mentioned his previous oil change price of $13.50 with Kirkland synthetic and an oem filter. Where this filter surpassed that alone.
Those were the good old days. Wish I could get oil and filters cheap like that again. Oddly enough I’ve done a 180 since and any money I saved has been negated as I’ve been running redline for the past couple oil changes.

I sounds like it could be leaky ADBV. It's not due to "flow restriction" of the oil filter. Besides ... positive displacement oil pump.

What's the outside air temperature of these cold starts?

That's a bingo!

Explain to me how a filter that is installed with the inlet hole pointed up, leaks ?
Any time there is oil in the galleries above the oil filter, the oil in those galleries can leak down/out of the galleries if the ADBV is leaking. And any time a filter is mounted above the engine galleries, a leaky ADBV can leak oil out of the filter.

Last edited:
If a filter is installed with the inlet hole pointed up how is it going to leak and where does the oil go ?

If a filter is installed with the inlet hole pointed up how is it going to leak and where does the oil go ?
The oil above the filter can leak down through the filter past the ADBV and into the sump. The oil above the filter is being pushed down by gravity. It's an on-going misconception that just because a filter is mounted base up that it will never leak oil above it in the galleries back into the sump.

Not my sketch ... but this shows what I'm talking about. Any oil above the filter is trying to drain back to the same level as the oil in the sump.

1643851056532.jpg

Maybe a little late, but Walmart here actually has Toyota filters (and i do mean has - as in on the shelf) they are more but if you need it and they have it....

It's not vacuum in the sump. As I said earlier, It's gravity - ie, the head pressure on all the oil above the level of the sump. Basic fluid dynanics.
As in hydrostatic pressure - what vertical column height times a fluid gradient gives us - a water tower is an example I like to use along with ear pressure in the deep end of the pool …

Back