Fram TG8A (25K miles)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: eljefino
You're not afraid of a rock taking that out?

I thought about fabricating a shield/cover for it..Ive had that setup for about 150K miles with not a ding on the filter.. * knock on wood*

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Looks good. Is that a factory step up or an after market kit?

aftermarket, made by TD bought from summit racing

Is there still a filter in the pan, or does that vehicle just have a screen? I've been tempted to replace the pan filter with a screen and add an external filter on my vintage cars several times. Wouldn't ever have to drop the pan again.

Looks very good. I have thought about adding that set up to my jeep.. its just one of those things I have to get around to. Space is limited so ill probably have to use a much smaller filter with the 3/4-16" thread.

Looks great, the Ultra is also a good upgrade for the extended interval. I would want the thicker Ultra can with the way it's mounted somewhat exposed.

Just noticed you had a filter mag and it caught quite a bit! I use one too.

Have you considered shielding it from road debris and dirt?

Originally Posted By: hemitom
how many miles on the fluid?? sure looks nice and red.

almost 50K miles on Amsoil ATF

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Is there still a filter in the pan, or does that vehicle just have a screen? I've been tempted to replace the pan filter with a screen and add an external filter on my vintage cars several times. Wouldn't ever have to drop the pan again.

I change the pan filter once about 150K miles ago.. Its a pain to change cause I have to remove part of the exhaust pipe in order to remove the pan, thats why I added the spin on filter tapped into the cooler line. I also bypass the radiator trans cooler which were known to clog up and kill the tranny.

Last edited:
Looks great! I have a similar setup on my Dakota. Currently using a Wix 51515 filter on it. I am going to trade it out for a Fram Ultra some time soon. I have not been able to make myself go over a one year interval on the external spin on transmission filter yet but after seeing this Tough Guard I think I'll leave the Fram Ultra on my Dodge for a few years. Thanks again for the pictures.

I have one just like it on my F-150.
I mounted mine on the fame, in the engine bay at bumper height. A similar location, just on the other side of the wheel well.

Transmission -> Cooler-> spin on filter on the cooler line -> transmission

I've had that set up for maybe 4 years now.
Never an issue. Dissected a few, nothing to report.
I clock between 3,000-5,000 miles a year on my truck. I replace the filter once a year when I do the yearly OCI.
I just figure it keeps the transmission fluid very fresh.

This doesn't seem like the right application for these filters. Why not use filters designed for this use such as magnefine?

http://www.magnefinefilters.com/

I don't see how bypass and ADBVs will have been designed to work properly in this application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back