Fram TG8A (25K miles)

stang5

Originally Posted By: eljefino
You're not afraid of a rock taking that out?
I thought about fabricating a shield/cover for it..Ive had that setup for about 150K miles with not a ding on the filter.. * knock on wood*
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Looks good. Is that a factory step up or an after market kit?
aftermarket, made by TD bought from summit racing

Is there still a filter in the pan, or does that vehicle just have a screen? I've been tempted to replace the pan filter with a screen and add an external filter on my vintage cars several times. Wouldn't ever have to drop the pan again.

Looks very good. I have thought about adding that set up to my jeep.. its just one of those things I have to get around to. Space is limited so ill probably have to use a much smaller filter with the 3/4-16" thread.

Looks great, the Ultra is also a good upgrade for the extended interval. I would want the thicker Ultra can with the way it's mounted somewhat exposed. Just noticed you had a filter mag and it caught quite a bit! I use one too. Have you considered shielding it from road debris and dirt?

stang5

Originally Posted By: hemitom
how many miles on the fluid?? sure looks nice and red.
almost 50K miles on Amsoil ATF
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Is there still a filter in the pan, or does that vehicle just have a screen? I've been tempted to replace the pan filter with a screen and add an external filter on my vintage cars several times. Wouldn't ever have to drop the pan again.
I change the pan filter once about 150K miles ago.. Its a pain to change cause I have to remove part of the exhaust pipe in order to remove the pan, thats why I added the spin on filter tapped into the cooler line. I also bypass the radiator trans cooler which were known to clog up and kill the tranny.

Last edited:
Looks great! I have a similar setup on my Dakota. Currently using a Wix 51515 filter on it. I am going to trade it out for a Fram Ultra some time soon. I have not been able to make myself go over a one year interval on the external spin on transmission filter yet but after seeing this Tough Guard I think I'll leave the Fram Ultra on my Dodge for a few years. Thanks again for the pictures.

I have one just like it on my F-150. I mounted mine on the fame, in the engine bay at bumper height. A similar location, just on the other side of the wheel well. Transmission -> Cooler-> spin on filter on the cooler line -> transmission I've had that set up for maybe 4 years now. Never an issue. Dissected a few, nothing to report. I clock between 3,000-5,000 miles a year on my truck. I replace the filter once a year when I do the yearly OCI. I just figure it keeps the transmission fluid very fresh.