Fram Synthetic Endurance FE8A Cut Open

Looks to be the same coating as they use on the Titanium, but dark blue instead of black on the Titanium.
I’ve held both of them in my hand and the titanium is a lot more grippy. I don’t think it’s the same material

Fram Ultra = 20,000 miles
Fram Endurance = 25,000 miles.

The easiest way to examine the filter media is by looking at a cartridge filter. Heck you can do that at Wal-Mart without buying it and cutting it open
I'm planning to stay with the Ultra. I do 4k OCI, and Fram Ultra is 99%+ @ 20 microns, while Fram Endurance is only 99% (no +) @ 20 microns.

It states greater than 20 microns. No @, +, or - symbols.

Fram has it in writing.
It says:

"Designed for use with synthetic oils. Metal Screen Back construction for enhanced durability. Fully synthetic blend media provides 99%+ filtration efficiency.*

*FRAM Group testing of average filter efficiency of FE8A, FE3387A and FE4967 or equivalent FRAM TG or EG models under ISO 4548-12 for particles greater than 20 microns.
"

Which essentially means 99+% @ 20 microns since 20.0000001 is greater than 20.

It says:

"Designed for use with synthetic oils. Metal Screen Back construction for enhanced durability. Fully synthetic blend media provides 99%+ filtration efficiency.*

*FRAM Group testing of average filter efficiency of FE8A, FE3387A and FE4967 or equivalent FRAM TG or EG models under ISO 4548-12 for particles greater than 20 microns.
"

Which essentially means 99+% @ 20 microns since 20.0000001 is greater than 20.
I stand corrected!

Only now can we see the Future Truth that wire backed Ultras are going to be precious artifacts for future generations on BITOG.

Someday an Indiana Jones type will be scouring the globe to find these ancient relics of a bygone past.
When I die, bury me in a Toyota with an OG Ultra & a fresh OCI of German Castrol! I'll be gone, but it'll run forever in the afterlife!🤣🤣🤣

And both are way overkill for a 4,000 mile interval.
But I get it.
I have a few of the original Fram Ultra 3614's that I plan to use on my 14' Focus. I plan on running them more than one OCI using a Mityvac because of the bellypan which is a PITA to remove. Could these really work for 3 6K OCI's (18K) in a clean engine?

I have a few of the original Fram Ultra 3614's that I plan to use on my 14' Focus. I plan on running them more than one OCI using a Mityvac because of the bellypan which is a PITA to remove. Could these really work for 3 6K OCI's (18K) in a clean engine?
I've seen several post use OG Ultra anecdotes with similar or more miles posted here. They looked fine. With those in mind and imo, I'm going to say I don't see why not. Go for it if you want. Not familiar with Focus bellypan, but watching some yt videos, some of them have gotten ridiculous with the amount of clips to be removed to access the filter.

I've seen several post use OG Ultra anecdotes with similar or more miles posted here. They looked fine. With those in mind and imo, I'm going to say I don't see why not. Go for it if you want. Not familiar with Focus bellypan, but watching some yt videos, some of them have gotten ridiculous with the amount of clips to be removed to access the filter.
Yes...My daughters Mazda has a very easy to use access port (2 screws) in the bellypan which exposes the drain plug and the filter making oil changes a breeze. My Ford's OTH use 9 (I think) screws to hold the bellypan which must be removed to access the filter thus making an OC a PITA unless you use the Mityvac and run the filter 2 OCI's or even 3. That's why I asked and will probably run my Fram Ultra's 2 or 3 6K OCI's.

Got hands on an Endurance today at my local Walmart, FE2 to be exact.

The outside is not the same as the grip texture on the Ultra. To me its more of a satin finish, Im guessing its more grippy than the slippery gold on the Ultra, but maybe not as grippy as the black grip texture.

Inside is all louvered so I cant tell what the media looks like (reminds me of the Mopar SRT filter), pics attached. Not quite sure wehy I didnt take a pic of the outside of it, but I havent had my coffee yet...

As an aside, I found one OG Ultra in FG2. 2 others I could swear have pink media and pieces of wire behind the center tube, but maybe Im just seeing things because the date codes are 23xxx. I bought all 3 because they should be fine for my application.

The Endurance filters (at least in FE2) have no factory seal, the Ultras still do.

PXL_20230330_121720196.jpgUntitled.jpg

Last edited:
Yes...My daughters Mazda has a very easy to use access port (2 screws) in the bellypan which exposes the drain plug and the filter making oil changes a breeze. My Ford's OTH use 9 (I think) screws to hold the bellypan which must be removed to access the filter thus making an OC a PITA unless you use the Mityvac and run the filter 2 OCI's or even 3. That's why I asked and will probably run my Fram Ultra's 2 or 3 6K OCI's.
Watched a yt vid of changing the oil and filter on a 21 Nissan Rogue. There are 20 push pin plastic clips and 2 10mm bolts that must be removed to access the drain plug and filter. Ugh! So glad daughter's is previous generation.

As for MightyVac, years ago after reading this forum recommended the then bitog fave 7201 for son's Audi with engine top mounted cartridge filter. Has since said, it's the only way to go.

OG Ultra definitely good for two 6k mi. oci. And depending on your ambition, 3 to 18k, ok too imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: pbm
Watched a yt vid of changing the oil and filter on a 21 Nissan Rogue. There are 20 push pin plastic clips and 2 10mm bolts that must be removed to access the drain plug and filter. Ugh! So glad daughter's is previous generation.

As for MightyVac, years ago after reading this forum recommended the then bitog fave 7201 for son's Audi with engine top mounted cartridge filter. Has since said, it's the only way to go.

OG Ultra definitely good for two 6k mi. oci. And depending on your ambition, 3 to 18k, ok too imo.

I bought the 7201, but never really believed it to do a great job...I dont have any top mounted filters though. Shoving the tube down the dipstick I always questioned if it left stuff over, so I stopped using it on cars (at least for oil and trans fluid).

It did come in handy, though, when I accidentally put 32+ degree wiper fluid in all of our vehicles...right before the winter.

I bought the 7201, but never really believed it to do a great job...I dont have any top mounted filters though. Shoving the tube down the dipstick I always questioned if it left stuff over,.......
Just relaying my sons experience, and his belief after using. Possible he's not quite as anal about getting every drop out of the sump as some bitog members. That said, reading this forum since joining, like pbm he's not alone in liking a Mightvac for oil changes.

The Audi with engine top cartridge is well adapted to Mightvac use. That is, cartridge and oil can be changed completely from the top, no need to get under the vehicle. And, it too has a belly pan that can be a bit of chore to deal with. All those things factored, I think why he likes Mightyvac for that vehicle.

Just relaying my sons experience, and his belief after using. Possible he's not quite as anal about getting every drop out of the sump as some bitog members. That said, reading this forum since joining, like pbm he's not alone in liking a Mightvac for oil changes.

The Audi with engine top cartridge is well adapted to Mightvac use. That is, cartridge and oil can be changed completely from the top, no need to get under the vehicle. And, it too has a belly pan that can be a bit of chore to deal with. All those things factored, I think why he likes Mightyvac for that vehicle.

Totally get it! I think my being anal about getting every drop of oil out did not outweigh my laziness :) because I never bothered to test the theory (drain using the MityVac, then pull the drain plug and see if/how much else comes out)

I dont regret the purchase, Ive used it for other things, just not my cars/truck. It did save me when I had to swap all my windshield wiper fluid...definitely beat having to take the bottles out of each vehicle to drain em.

Looks like the OG is STILL the media king of the mountain, except the Endurance can is a lot thicker (one of the OG Ultra’s weak points).
I would appear to me that the high flow design of the Endurance is an advantage while maintaining the same filter performance. I would suggest that this is modifying the design to reduce material costs. The metal crimp, the thickness of the material. The number of holes drilled. The length of the filter material.

To achieve high flow the engineers may have considered the oil may become thicker as it approaches 15 K. The high flow is a key characteristic that is accommodated by the stamped tab holes in the center column. The fiber weave is more resilient with high flow performance kept in mind. The larger valve diameter, the larger input holes. Perhaps, the thicker shell is to keep it from damage as it sits longer on the car

To achieve high flow the engineers may have considered the oil may become thicker as it approaches 15 K.
The most dP a filter sees is when the engine is started cold and through the oil warm-up stage. If the engine is revved high with cold thick oil it's likely the bypass valve will be activated. If the bypass valve can't keep the dP under control, or the filter can't take the dP (ie, having too wide of pleat spacing), then damage to the filter could occur.

In the PD oil pump and oil filter world, a "high flow" filter just means it has lower dP per flow, and means more headroom before the filter bypass valve opens or the oil pump pressure relief valve opens.

Back