Fram Sure Drain, who has one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Patman,

I have the Fumoto - which is actually a ball valve for natural gas lines - on both my cars and like it a lot ...I use it to take oil samples and it works well for that. Anyone who offroads with one of these deserves what they get ....

It's a Darwin sort of thing - just like riding a motorcycle without a helmet
wink.gif

TS

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
Patman,

I have the Fumoto - which is actually a ball valve for natural gas lines - on both my cars and like it a lot ...I use it to take oil samples and it works well for that. Anyone who offroads with one of these deserves what they get ....

It's a Darwin sort of thing - just like riding a motorcycle without a helmet
wink.gif

TS

Let me correct myself when I mean offroad I don't mean anything hard core just not on a paved road. Yeah I'm sure they're fine for 90% of the people out there but I would never risk my engine for something so trivial.

That does look handy for oil analysis, however I just couldnt put an easy open valve on my oil. However given the fact my radiator has a similar screw valve which any 4yr old could reach under and open (if they knew where to look) Maybe the fumoto isnt such a bad option.

Do they make them in 15mm?

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
The standard plug doesn't allow for quick sampling (if you want to take a small sample and then continue running the same batch of oil) though, plus the oil rushes out quickly and it makes taking samples more messy. Then you always drop the plug in the pan so you have to fish it out (or in my case with my Firebird, I bought a second drain plug so I alternate between two of them)

I guess I'll have to take a closer look at this device today and see if it's worth it or not. I like the concept though.

i rarely drop my drain plug. i back it off a couple turns with the ratchet and then i just use my hand. i think i drop it once in like 30 oil changes?
confused.gif

Patman,

I have two of the Fram Quick drains. One on my Poor Ford Taurus (the one with the coolant in oil sample that Terry caught) and one in my 2000 Silverado 4.8 Ext cab 4x4.

Love them!
smile.gif
Would not go back to a normal drain plug setup. They don't leak, The tube that Fram give you needs a small hose clamp to keep it on tight but so nice to drain into a clean container, pinch the tube halfway thru and grab a sample then place back in to do the rest.

As far as getting all the oil out, I did a drain test, I waited 30 mins after starting the drain and then took the whole fram valve off the pan. Not a drop more came out!

In the cars that are low to the ground and the drain plug comes straight down, Fram has a kit that fixes this problem. Since both on mine drain towards the rear, Not a problem for me.

Now, If I could get Ford Care and My Local Dealer to provide product and service like Fram did with their Sure Drain!
lol.gif
I'd be a happy person. Right now, Very Sad....

Take care, bill

Well, I took the plunge! I went out and bought the Fram Sure Drain for my Firebird! I'm changing the oil next weekend and will put it on.

You may have seen my other posts on this subject, but here is why I want the Sure Drain on there.

I'm going to drain out about a half quart of oil and sample it every once in a while, and try and see just how far I can push the oil interval in my car. Through topping up and fresh oil filters only, I'm hoping to be able to stretch the interval out to 20k and beyond. In that time I will have added probably 4-5 quarts of oil though, but a little bit at a time so the oil will always been in pretty decent shape hopefully.

I'm glad to hear that Scott! How easy do you find it is to just drain out a small amount (if you've tried this) to take a sample? The setup looks a little bit different than I thought it would.

I've got two Fram SureDrains, one on a 2001 Excursion and another on a 2003 F250 Super Duty. Both have V-10 engines. I think they work great and save a big mess for me. The truck is only 2 weeks old, but I changed it over to Mobil 1 5W-30 at 700 miles and installed the drain. The drain on the Excursion has worked great for a number of oil changes and I like it. Don't see any problems with it. It does slow the flow of oil some but I don't think it is a problem for me and my drain intervals.

The slow flow doesn't bother me because it will make sample taking easier, and with my new plan I will be going much longer between full oil drains anyways.

Is it really true that removing the oil filler cap speeds up the flow of oil out the drain? I've never heard this before and I'd be worried about dust getting in the top (since with my luck it always seems to be very windy whenever I'm changing my oil)

I definitely have seen that taking the oil filler cap off helps. You don't have to leave it all the way off.....I worry about dust getting in there too....just lay it back on loosely. The atmospheric pressure helps the oil or any liquid, flow.
tongue.gif

patriot.gif
patriot.gif
patriot.gif

I have 5 Fumoto valves on the cars I service. All work flawlessly, make drawing a sample a breeze and not a drop of a leak from any of them. Had on just over a year now. Very solid construction and unless you do off roading the probability of hitting it is non existent. No more dropping the plugs into the oil, no more gasket problems. Yes slightly slower flow but I let mine drain overnight anyway

I used my Fram Sure Drain for the first time this morning, I took out an early sample of my Schaeffer oil at 700 miles for a baseline sample (this is going to be my super extended interval run). The oil sure flows out slowly with this setup! Although it sure does make it easy to take samples without losing much oil. I just hope the dust cap on it isn't hard to remove if I've left it on for a while. It was a bit tight on there this time around. I'm also a bit worried about there being some contamination in the sample from the end piece that it used to start the flow of oil. I now have to find a way to clean that piece of the oil that's on it. I'll probably use Neutra to clean it. For now I just put it in a ziploc bag (I'm still waiting for my Schaeffer order to arrive with my case of Neutra in it)

I have Fumoto valves on 3 vehicles, and I really like them. No more worrying about stripping or cross threading, no more getting oil running down my arm. Also I did an oil analysis where I only drained 3/4 quart and this made it a snap. It was easy to clean with paper towel and alcohol before sampling.

To those that are concerned about drain speed, I have to say with the Fumoto valve it isn't an issue at all. I don't notice a significant difference in drain speed (I drain while oil is hot and thin). I actually timed it and it drains the first quart in about 20 seconds. And if you factor in the fact you don't need to get a wrench and remove the plug, it is an overall faster procedure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back