Fram PH6065B Motorcycle Oil Filter For Twin Cam Harley Davidsons

Good Morning Board,

I contacted Fram asking them for the efficiency of this filter and the good folks at Fram responded with the following:

Hello Frank,

Here is the information on that filter -
· at 10 microns filter is 50% efficient (referred to as nominal micron rating)
· at 20 microns filters is 85% efficient (Fram standard used for micron rating because particles above 20 micron can cause engine wear)
· at 25-30 microns filter is 98% efficient (referred to as absolute micron rating)

Thank you for contacting Fram.

I've examined this filter at Walmart, the core is "holes" not "louvers," and from some YouTube Videos, it is an extremely well built product.

Plus, I so appreciate the transperancy of Fram to provide the consumer with information on their product - other manufacturers should take note.

I've used Fram products over the years, never an issue.

I thought the motorcyclists on the Board would appreciate this information.

RevRider

I've used that filter a lot over the years. Never an issue. I believe that's the specs that Harley wants for the Twin Cam engines.
Thanks for posting.

Good Morning Board,

I contacted Fram asking them for the efficiency of this filter and the good folks at Fram responded with the following:

Hello Frank,

· at 20 microns filters is 85% efficient (Fram standard used for micron rating because particles above 20 micron can cause engine wear)
· at 25-30 microns filter is 98% efficient (referred to as absolute micron rating)

Thank you for contacting Fram.

I've examined this filter at Walmart, the core is "holes" not "louvers," and from some YouTube Videos, it is an extremely well built product.

Plus, I so appreciate the transperancy of Fram to provide the consumer with information on their product - other manufacturers should take note.

I've used Fram products over the years, never an issue.

I thought the motorcyclists on the Board would appreciate this information.

RevRider
Thank you for that! I know you and I were discussing the other filter specs on the other post. The 10 micron rating they show is pretty useless at 50%.

I don't own a Harley, but on my Kawasaki I use regular car filters, Fram 7317 or similar. Fram Endurance and Ultra Guard are 99%+ at 20 microns. This is what I use and I believe they are better than the motorcycle specific filters. Don't know what car filters would fit a Harley, but you might be better off using one of those if there are any.

I don't own a Harley, but on my Kawasaki I use regular car filters, Fram 7317 or similar. Fram Endurance and Ultra Guard are 99%+ at 20 microns. This is what I use and I believe they are better than the motorcycle specific filters. Don't know what car filters would fit a Harley, but you might be better off using one of those if there are any.
Harleys seem like they take a 3614/51348/10241/FL-910s sized filter for a Toyota/Ford/Mopar product. But, purists want a black or chrome filter on.

I don't own a Harley, but on my Kawasaki I use regular car filters, Fram 7317 or similar. Fram Endurance and Ultra Guard are 99%+ at 20 microns. This is what I use and I believe they are better than the motorcycle specific filters. Don't know what car filters would fit a Harley, but you might be better off using one of those if there are t
Thanks for your feedback.

This is exactly why I've been saying those that believe 95%@20 microns is not for every filter but yet some assume they are b/c of marketing on the package. I'm happy to hear that they've send you the details over per your request.

Hello Frank,

I wonder if Fram meant 95% @ 20u in their response because that's what their website says for the PH6065B.

I wonder if Fram meant 95% @ 20u in their response because that's what their website says for the PH6065B.

I was thinking the same thing, a typo.

I am going to respond back to his note for clarification, keep everyone posted.

Last edited:
Good Morning,

I reached out to Fram on this to confirm the information, I've copied and pasted my chat:

##Chat transcript##​

Name: Frank
Inquiry Type: Technical Question

Robert
Fri, 07 Jun 2024 07:37:08 PDT​
Hello, how may I help you with your FRAM Filters questions or concerns today?

Frank
07:38​
Regarding your PH6065B oil filter for Harley Davidson, is the filtering efficiency at 20 microns 95% or 85%?

Robert
07:38​
Let me check

Frank
07:40​
thank you 🙂

Robert
07:40​
Attachments:

Frank
07:42​
Ok, it was a little confusing from your website where it stated: Filter media is a blend of fiber and resin that captures 95% of the dirt particles

*FRAM Group testing of average filter efficiency of PH8A, PH3387A and PH4967 under ISO 4548-12 for particles greater than 20 microns.

Frank
07:43​
I thought it was 95% at 20 microns, but it is 85% at 20 microns, am I correct?

Robert
07:45​
That is what the print says - Yes

Frank
07:46​
Ok, thank you so much, I appreciate the assistance.

Robert
07:48​
Great - Thank you, and have a nice weekend.

1717772706954.jpg

You were correct. :)

I give Fram an A Rating for consumer assistance and transperancy of product specs.
I called HiFlo Filtro again on their HF171 RC, wanting to give them a chance to redeem themselves from my first call where they said they don't give out filter efficiency information, and received the same response, "it's an exact match for the OE filter."

So, unfortunately, I have to give them a big FAT "F" for consumer assistance and transperancy of product specs.

uh oh...busted... que the Fram 95%@20 efficiency bots.... :p :cool: :LOL:

@RevRider Thanks for reaching out & appears that Fram might finally be coming clean with real facts instead of the marketing bs that many spew here. I've been skeptical & have been bashed, called names, until no end when I've said that not all of their filters are as efficient as what they think they are & this is gives me comfort that, hopefully, they'll continue to give accurate data for us consumers to make an informed buying decision. They still need to clean up their website mess along with some other filter manufacturers. All of those Purolator Spec Sheets now available must be putting some pressure on Fram to do somewhat the same.

Do you have the date of what the efficiency is of the HD filter per ISO 4548-12?
Post with info from the HD dealership about the HD "5 micron" oil filter, which was nothihng more than what's on the box. Box basically says 50% @ 5u. Anybody's guess on efficiency at 20u, I'd say 90-95% Fram said their filter for the HD was 50% @ 10u.

Last edited:
uh oh...busted... que the Fram 95%@20 efficiency bots.... :p :cool: :LOL:

@RevRider Thanks for reaching out & appears that Fram might finally be coming clean with real facts instead of the marketing bs that many spew here. I've been skeptical & have been bashed, called names, until no end when I've said that not all of their filters are as efficient as what they think they are & this is gives me comfort that, hopefully, they'll continue to give accurate data for us consumers to make an informed buying decision. They still need to clean up their website mess along with some other filter manufacturers. All of those Purolator Spec Sheets now available must be putting some pressure on Fram to do somewhat the same.
This consumer just wants the truth & transparency. We are talking about very expensive equipment, next to a home, a vehicle is probably the next most expensive asset we own. It’s only right to know the truth about filters.

Back