Fram orange can from Ford 5.4 3v

So... the media pushes a small finger against the spring?
Where is the energy coming that will be stored in the spring? Try to keep a spring compressed and see if it takes an effort. The only source of energy is the fluid moving around the valve. And that fluid will lose pressure at the back side of the spring loaded valve surface. Valves are just restrictions that have local pressure drops, that's why you can turn the water flow lower in your house sink.
Seems you're lacking knowledge on how a simple filter bypass valve works. What are you talking about in the bold? An oil filter bypass valve is nothing more than a pressure operated valve. It simply moves/opens because of a pressure difference across it - it's only the delta-p that overcomes the spring pressure and makes the valve start to open. Fluid pressure delta makes things work ... it's simple fluid dynamics.

As for the filter, at that point in oil's viscosity... it's a brick. Try pushing honey trough a coffee filter paper - nothing goes by. That's why we have those valves installed there in the first place.

I'm not gonna teach you basic physics. Have a nice day!
Seems you're lacking on how fluid dynamics work. LoL ... "teach me basic physics". Thanks for the laugh, I needed it. 😂

Last edited:
In my case the mechanic didn’t give any explanation. We were told by the service advisor that they strongly suggested to stick with oem filters and that they don’t suggest fram filters at all.

Just an old mechanic stuck in his ways and a service advisor reiterating information. No backing to it.

I say this many time . Only FL820s make my 2 5.4 3v start up smooth no noise . Every other oil filter include fram ultra make start up little slugest or noise .

I don’t like use fl820s cause I found my self that it have a hole in media when I cut open I post few years ago . But I stil use it but for very short oil change 3000 miles or 4-5 month .

^^^ If it's gonna tear, it will probably do it before 3K miles.

It’s obvious you can’t comprehend that a man that makes his living working and rebuilding engines that has a dislike towards a part of some kind like an oil filter has to have technical data to prove he knows what the hell he’s talking about when he’s done it and seen it for 35 years. The AMAZING part is that your replies never offer nothing anything but sarcasm and brow beating
Your always trying up one on everything you type.
From what I see from you is nothing but a guy who can’t so he types way above his ability
Once again what are those reasons?

I say this many time . Only FL820s make my 2 5.4 3v start up smooth no noise . Every other oil filter include fram ultra make start up little slugest or noise .
I had owned a 1996 Mercury Sable, 2001 Mercury Sable, 2001 Ford Explorer (AWD V8 5.0L). All of them required the FL820s. In the Sable's I had the 3.0L DOHC engine and I could hear a bit of chain noise at start up with any other filter. Not bad, but enough to be annoying.

The 5.0L was abused by previous owners, they used 5W-20 oil, because that was marked on the oil cap (Ford did that to increase the gas mileage). That engine was designed for 10W40, spec dropped down to 5W30 and, the last years, to 5W20. Thanks CAFE.
In 5 years, that engine couldn't hold oil pressure at idle with warm engine, especially not in summer +90F temps.
I bought it and run it for the next 14 years with 10W-50. With any other filter but the FL820S, the chain would make a racket at start-up, when the engine sit un-used overnight. Some filters were OK when new (K&N, Mobil 1), but after a few months they will start to have that noise.
Oil pressure would suffer while engine was hot (needle would bounce at idle). I tried K&N, Mobil 1, Fram XG. PureOne, Bosch....
I even installed a Tee at the oil pressure port and added a real pressure gage. Changed the oil pump and pickup screen (huge pain on an AWD car), plus the pump drive shaft and gear.
So I too know a bit more about the FL820s filter than an average keyboard warrior.
I don't get this obsession with Fram's good ol' orange "Cardbord Sides", when the FL820S is on every Walmart shelf for about $4.

PS: Eventually rust got to that truck, rusted the brake lines and under the car wasn't looking that great either (leaf springs were looking rough). Sad to see it go... 6600 lbs factory towing capacity (option with added transmission cooler), AWD with LS on rear and central diffs.

Last edited:
I had owned a 1996 Mercury Sable, 2001 Mercury Sable, 2001 Ford Explorer (AWD V8 5.0L). All of them required the FL820s. In the Sable's I had the 3.0L DOHC engine and I could hear a bit of chain noise at start up with any other filter. Not bad, but enough to be annoying.

The 5.0L was abused by previous owners, they used 5W-20 oil, because that was marked on the oil cap (Ford did that to increase the gas mileage). That engine was designed for 10W40, spec dropped down to 5W30 and, the last years, to 5W20. Thanks CAFE.
In 5 years, that engine couldn't hold oil pressure at idle with warm engine, especially not in summer +90F temps.
I bought it and run it for the next 14 years with 10W-50. With any other filter but the FL820S, the chain would make a racket at start-up, when the engine sit un-used overnight. Some filters were OK when new (K&N, Mobil 1), but after a few months they will start to have that noise.
Oil pressure would suffer while engine was hot (needle would bounce at idle). I tried K&N, Mobil 1, Fram XG. PureOne, Bosch....
I even installed a Tee at the oil pressure port and added a real pressure gage. Changed the oil pump and pickup screen (huge pain on an AWD car), plus the pump drive shaft and gear.
So I too know a bit more about the FL820s filter than an average keyboard warrior.
I don't get this obsession with Fram's good ol' orange "Cardbord Sides", when the FL820S is on every Walmart shelf for about $4.

PS: Eventually rust got to that truck, rusted the brake lines and under the car wasn't looking that great either (leaf springs were looking rough). Sad to see it go... 6600 lbs factory towing capacity (option with added transmission cooler), AWD with LS on rear and central diffs.
I continue using fl820s with short oil change .

Back