Fram or Honda genuine oil filter?

Hello all,

Your sentence is mostly clear, but a few adjustments can improve its readability and correctness. Here's a revised version:

"I have a 2019 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring with 100,000 miles on it.

I have been changing the oil (0W20) and the Honda genuine oil filter every 6,000 miles so far.

I have a couple of Honda oil filters left on my garage shelf. Since the oil change interval is short, I am considering buying a Fram filter instead of Honda.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Ryan.

Honda filter is decent based on how they look inside, especially RTA version that is made in Japan. It costs $7-8, which is about the same as fram Ultra. Ultra will have better filtration at 99%.

I have a 2012 Civic with 144,000 miles on it and have changed my oil since I purchased the car in 2015 with 34,000 miles. I have used Supertech, Fram, K&N, Quaker State, and Honda filters on the car. The car cannot tell the difference and it doesn't use any oil between changes. Sometimes I just do a Mity Vac drain and fill and use the same filter for a year. Keep clean oil in it and the filter won't make any difference.

I'll assume a mod edit
If true, a bit of intrusive overreach wouldn't you agree?

Response could be " This subject has been discussed countless times in the past few months. Use the Search Function. If you don't like the forum engine just type BITOG and a subject of interest in Google or Safari or (your engine here) :)

If you just wish to socialize, try a Joke in the Humor forum or post a photo in the photos thread.

Screenshot 2024-06-19 092420.jpg

Last edited:
And why spend more when the Honda filters have been working fine for 100,000 miles?

Because 100,000 miles really isn't all that long these days and who knows exactly how much wear might have taken place so far? There are definitely filters out there that will filter out smaller particles than the OEM Honda filter, so if maximum longevity of the engine is the goal here, then Honda OEM isn't the #1 choice.

If true, a bit of intrusive overreach wouldn't you agree?

Response could be " This subject has been discussed countless times in the past few months. Use the Search Function. If you don't like the forum engine just type BITOG and a subject of interest in Google or Safari or (your engine here) :)

If you just wish to socialize, try a Joke in the Humor forum or post a photo in the photos thread.

View attachment 225816
100% but try "protesting" & see how many "violations" you get. :cautious:

Because 100,000 miles really isn't all that long these days and who knows exactly how much wear might have taken place so far? There are definitely filters out there that will filter out smaller particles than the OEM Honda filter, so if maximum longevity of the engine is the goal here, then Honda OEM isn't the #1 choice.
Wear isn't the major problem these days as much as low tension rings sticking and burning oil. That will do an engine in, before wear from using oem filters does.

Wear isn't the major problem these days as much as low tension rings sticking and burning oil. That will do an engine in, before wear from using oem filters does.

I still firmly believe that you are always better off choosing an oil filter that filters out more of the smaller particles.

I still firmly believe that you are always better off choosing an oil filter that filters out more of the smaller particles.
I do agree with you The problem is who's sharing that data these days? If choosing was that easy w/all the marketing pitches going on. With facts shown here the filter Co's are misleading consumers it's a mess. I've mentioned it here before that I don't think some give oil enough credit for preventing the wear from happening in the first place. Then a super duper efficient filter is somewhat less important and most off the shelf filters do the job well. Full Synthetic oils & even semi synthetics are great at preventing wear & if we prevent that wear in the first place less debris the filter needs to catch. But then we get into the weeds of driving styles etc that can affect wear. Just thinking out loud. :)

I do agree with you The problem is who's sharing that data these days? If choosing was that easy w/all the marketing pitches going on. With facts shown here the filter Co's are misleading consumers it's a mess. I've mentioned it here before that I don't think some give oil enough credit for preventing the wear from happening in the first place. Then a super duper efficient filter is somewhat less important and most off the shelf filters do the job well. Full Synthetic oils & even semi synthetics are great at preventing wear & if we prevent that wear in the first place less debris the filter needs to catch. But then we get into the weeds of driving styles etc that can affect wear. Just thinking out loud. :)
How does the base oil composition being synthetic or semi-synthetic affect wear?

In a small form factor filter - of which the 6607/7317 is - not enough volume in that can for fanfold fine pore media - so flow restriction is a possibility.

Seen it too many times regardless of the 'study shows PSI delta is insignificant, blah blah blah.' And i is some kinda Injuneer :)

Tell that to my chattering hydraulic cam phasers and my knocking rod big ends!

Humph !

Keep in mind that even if you had the absolute perfect oil that resulted in no engine wear whatsoever, you can't stop the fact that dirt will get into the oil through the air filter. So you still need a good oil filter as a secondary measure to capture what the air filter missed in the first place.

Keep in mind that even if you had the absolute perfect oil that resulted in no engine wear whatsoever, you can't stop the fact that dirt will get into the oil through the air filter. So you still need a good oil filter as a secondary measure to capture what the air filter missed in the first place.
Definitely still need an oil filter. But it is pretty impressive how well our air filters do their job. It shocked me just how low my PPM was on my 6.0L diesel. Almost 10k & 6 PPM Si! :cool:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...t6-5w-40-uoa-9-443-miles.374967/#post-6661183

Back