fram oil filters....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

Don't need to contact Fram. Their legal dept and the motoring public will make sure the filters they are recommending will work just fine. If something happens, they will cover the repair. Just like Champ, Bosch and every other filter manufacture.

And they all have had to pay out. Cost of doing business.

Bill

It would be interesting to see the inside info on just how many claims, and how much money has been paid out in claims from all the filter manufacturers.

But, no matter what company it is, you can best be assured that their legal department and lawyers will try to reject every claim that comes across their desk regardless if the filter was at fault or not.

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa
Originally Posted By: labman
Well maybe if you stuck to that sort of thing, people might have some respect for you. Denying you commonly engage in subjective bashing will only seen as a joke by everybody except you and your Escrap friends.

Are you addressing me? Well, I bash Escraps (as do other for the same reason) because I believe they have a design (or manufacturing) flaw that can cause the media to fold over in use and cause a major media blow out.

I don't see any reports of this issue with any other filters out there. I'm sure if Purolators or Mobil 1 or Royal Purple or Amsoil or WIX or any other brand had reports of media blow-outs that they would be recognized as having an issue also, and receive same said bashing. Wouldn't you agree?

We bash 'em because there's better more quality constructed filters out there for the same money or wow a dollar or two more that don't have the chance of sending media into your engine.

Originally Posted By: daman

Noooo answer my question,,witch one would you rather use on your truck outa them filters???

and what heck you talking about being "called on" posting of them fram o scraps?, i said...i search the site for random pics big deal,so what does that have anything to do with anything??

I did answer it. Look above.

Again, read above if you need to be reminded.

I don't see any reports of this issue with any other filters out there. I'm sure if Purolators or Mobil 1 or Royal Purple or Amsoil or WIX or any other brand had reports of media blow-outs that they would be recognized as having an issue also, and receive same said bashing. Wouldn't you agree?

Because most people DON'T cut open filters. How many Mobil 1 filters have you seen cut open and posted here? How many Amsoil? When you are selling MORE of something you will run a chance of more concerns showing up.

You guys really think Fram would risk selling a filter that WILL make a engine fail? And then sell millions and millions of them?

And then hire their Lawyers to protect their profits? Because if they are what you guys call them, they would be very busy...

What about Honda and Subaru who go to places like Fram to have them manufacture their OEM filters? Why would they go to a company that only builds filters to fail? Interesting mindset.

Bill

It would be interesting to see the inside info on just how many claims, and how much money has been paid out in claims from all the filter manufacturers.

But, no matter what company it is, you can best be assured that their legal department and lawyers will try to reject every claim that comes across their desk regardless if the filter was at fault or not.

It would be interesting. But I will say the actual numbers in ANY business would be low.

And Frams would be even LOWER. Why? Because Fram has been building their filters the SAME for DECADES. Millions and millions a YEAR for DECADES.

If they were as you guys say, NO WAY they would continue doing the same thing across a few different owners.

Bill

Noooo answer my question,,witch one would you rather use on your truck outa them filters???

and what heck you talking about being "called on" posting of them fram o scraps?, i said...i search the site for random pics big deal,so what does that have anything to do with anything??

I did answer it. Look above.

Again, read above if you need to be reminded.

Because most people DON'T cut open filters. How many Mobil 1 filters have you seen cut open and posted here? How many Amsoil? When you are selling MORE of something you will run a chance of more concerns showing up.

You guys really think Fram would risk selling a filter that WILL make a engine fail? And then sell millions and millions of them?

And then hire their Lawyers to protect their profits? Because if they are what you guys call them, they would be very busy...

What about Honda and Subaru who go to places like Fram to have them manufacture their OEM filters? Why would they go to a company that only builds filters to fail? Interesting mindset.

Bill

Your avoiding the Q bill you know what i mean very well, witch one outa them three would you use over the other ones you cant run all three at once.

Your avoiding the Q bill you know what i mean very well, witch one outa them three would you use over the other ones you cant run all three at once.

No. I answered above. ANY of them.

Because it does not matter. I've put more miles over the decades using Fram filters and making hundreds of thousands of miles with never a problem. Cut open EVERYONE of them. NEVER a issue. In different engines (Fords V6, Ford I6, Ford V8s, Chevy V6, Chevy V8, VW I4, Honda I4, Honda V6, Dodge I4, Dodge V6, Dodge V8) and all worked fine.

Do I use them today? No unless I can get them cheaper or on a deal. (my Dad's Honda Powered Vue will get one on his next oil change)

NOT because of their construction since it does not matter (I've proven that) but because of the cost.

So the answer is ANY OF THEM.

Bill

Bill

Lowest bidder?

From the photos I've seen of cut open OEM Subaru filters made by Honeywell, it almost looks like the non-metal end caps and the glue job is better quality than the average orange can FRAM.

You think Subaru or others who have FRAM make their filters are specifying better construction than an orange can configuration? Seems that way to me ... and the reason may be because Subaru is ultimately responsible for any warranty work as a result of a failure caused by a filter failure.

And along those lines, it would be interesting to know how many people actually file a claim for a blown engine due to a filter failure after the car is out of warranty. There might be cases where they just shrug it off and go buy a replacement car or get the engine fixed never knowing what caused the failure.

Do I use them today? No unless I can get them cheaper or on a deal. (my Dad's Honda Powered Vue will get one on his next oil change)

NOT because of their construction since it does not matter (I've proven that) but because of the cost.

So what do you use that's cheaper than FRAMs?

No. I answered above. ANY of them.

Because it does not matter. I've put more miles over the decades using Fram filters and making hundreds of thousands of miles with never a problem. Cut open EVERYONE of them. NEVER a issue. In different engines (Fords V6, Ford I6, Ford V8s, Chevy V6, Chevy V8, VW I4, Honda I4, Honda V6, Dodge I4, Dodge V6, Dodge V8) and all worked fine.

So the answer is ANY OF THEM.

Bill

Lol..still not good enough,

senerio.....

you just did a OC on your GM you head to your stash for a filter to your surprise your out! no filter for that app so you head up town to the AP store or any place you buy your filters and theres a fram,P1 or AC classic filters on the shelf and wow all priced the exact same how you like it $.99, witch one would you grab and put on?

Lol..still not good enough,

senerio.....

you just did a OC on your GM you head to your stash for a filter to your surprise your out! no filter for that app so you head up town to the AP store or any place you buy your filters and theres a fram,P1 or AC classic filters on the shelf and wow all priced the exact same how you like it $.99, witch one would you grab and put on?

Okay, in YOUR world all vehicles are the same price. All filters are the same price.
thankyou2.gif

Since that is not the REAL would (I'm now figuring you out and your postings
48.gif
) I'd pick any of them. Whichever is closest. But since this is the real world I'll pick what is the best value.

(and I NEVER run out of a filter or oil as I plan for everything when it comes to normal maintenance. )
thumbsup2.gif

So what do you use that's cheaper than FRAMs?

Mostly Supertech's unless I have a order with someone and I need to bump up the order to get the shipping close to reality. (Like Amazon and their $25 and you get free shipping. So P1 filters bump up the book order to $25 and free shipping all around)

I think all the hand wringing over filters and oil is just that, worrying about nothing. Lets face it, the average vehicle goes down the road with a LOT LESS than what we all do to our vehicles. If the owner changes the oil, uses a filter and takes care or the vehicle, it will last a LONG time.

I'd rather spend my $$ on something that matters to me. Sending it to a oil company or filter company does not interest me.
31.gif

Bill

Okay, in YOUR world all vehicles are the same price. All filters are the same price.
thankyou2.gif

Since that is not the REAL would (I'm now figuring you out and your postings
48.gif
) I'd pick any of them. Whichever is closest. But since this is the real world I'll pick what is the best value.

(and I NEVER run out of a filter or oil as I plan for everything when it comes to normal maintenance. )
thumbsup2.gif

I said it was a s-c-e-n-a-r-i-o..

bill bill bill you avoiding my direct question with a bunch of hog wash not even pertain to my direct question this time just gave us your answer.
cheers3.gif

it's ok man im with you tho frams are scrap compared to others so i don't blame you for not using them anymore i hear ya.
55.gif

I have heard various stories of people who regularly changed their oil and always used a Fram and they had high oil consumption and signs of high engine wear at ~100k
21.gif
. If the Frams leak past the media somewhat, sometimes this is the failure you'd see, not sudden catastrophic failure.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
I have heard various stories of people who regularly changed their oil and always used a Fram and they had high oil consumption and signs of high engine wear at ~100k
21.gif
. If the Frams leak past the media somewhat, sometimes this is the failure you'd see, not sudden catastrophic failure.

Just to name a few;

1986 Jetta 394,000 miles
1982 Toyota SR5 22R pickup 300,000+ (still going but will not pass safety this year)
1990 F150 over 200,000 miles 302 V8
1978 F250 351 over 200,000
1996 Chevy C1500 4.3l V6 250,000+
2001 Honda Civic 1.8l close to 200,000
1993 Caravan 3.8l 230,000

Except the VW all are still going fine (ie run great, pass smog and don't use any abnormal amounts of oil) most of them have seen only Fram filters.

This is my personal experience not a story on the internet.
01.gif

Take care, Bill

hmmm...reason I don't use an orange can fram is I can practically crush one with my bare hand. They feel as cheap as they sound on the internet without even cutting one open. I'd rather use a Supertech filter if I am feeling cheap.

I've cut a few open, and have been happy with all of them. The latest that came off a friends civic was in great shape. Fram filters are a good filter that will do the job. Want metal end caps, there are options. I personally like to see the 'fiber' end cap sealed to the pressure spring over metal on metal like I've seen in a few filters I've opened.

What I thought was strange, was on my recent trip to upstate NY, I had the pleasure of going to Advanced Auto. Looked at the filter options and the M1 and K&N for $13.99, and then looked at a SuperTech and they look exactly the same. So I assume they are both made by Champ Labs... but $2.84 -> $13.99. There must some some fancy differences in the media
grin2.gif

I looked down a shelf and found the Purolators for $4.39, so I bought a couple of those, including my very first P1!!

Originally Posted By: webfors
I personally like to see the 'fiber' end cap sealed to the pressure spring over metal on metal like I've seen in a few filters I've opened.

Not following you on that ... care to explain some more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back