FRAM Oil Filters - Whats the deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, so I noticed the general consensus amongst oil aficionados is that FRAM filters are as good as poop.

Why?

Also, I'd like to know if there is any difference between their different filter line-ups:

FRAM Extra Guard (the regular ones)
FRAM Tough Guard (picture of a truck on box, claims superior protection)
FRAM Extended Guard (for 7,000 mile OCI's)
FRAM Double Guard (with "PTFE engine treatment")

Can someone tell me what is different between these filters, and if they are all ****, or if any of them are good?

And on a side note, what the **** is PTFE in the Double Guard filter? I googled it and found it is the technical name for Teflon?

Most folks don't like them because they look "cheap" when you take them apart. Fram uses some sort of paper for the endcaps, where most other filters have metal endcaps, except for E-core's which are a different animal.

There also seems to be a problem with Fram's ADBV design, although I can not confirm or deny this. Filtering wise, they seem to do a fine job. I've used the cheap Fram Extra Guard filters multiple times on both of my vehicles without any problems.

Fram's website has a good explanation of the differences between all their filters, so I won't go into all that.

Bottom line: If you want to use a Fram on your vehicle, nothing bad is going to happen, assuming you change the filter per the intervals listed in your vehicles owners manual.

I think the general consensus (or at least my personal opinion) is that, for the same money, there are better filters out there.

For half the price, I get twice the media in an ST. Nobody has ever posted anything showing Fram uses twice as good of a media.

For every Fram model you listed, there is another filter brand that's better for the same price or less.

Frams will not hurt your engine.... only your wallet in filter money values.

Ok, well i don't put FRAM in my BMW or my Lexus. The BMW only gets MAHLE and the Lexus gets OEM Toyota filter or Bosch.

I have a Chevy Astro (same as GMC Safari) that I am asking about. It is the delivery van for my business. Basically, the only filters I see around for this van are the Motomaster brand at Canadian Tire, FRAM, and FRAM's cheap line called Defense. I usually shop at Canadian Tire or Partsource for this kind of stuff.

I have been using the FRAM Tough Guard that costs about $7.50

What different filters should I be getting, and where?

Fram:

FRAM Extra Guard (the regular ones)
FRAM Tough Guard (picture of a truck on box, claims superior protection)
FRAM Extended Guard (for 7,000 mile OCI's)
FRAM Double Guard (with "PTFE engine treatment")

The Tough Guard has ~50% more and better media, and a better ADBV valve.
The Extra Guard has more capacity for longer drain intervals.
The Double Guard is a plain old Double Guard with some Teflon in it, and it's pre-oiled(don't see much benefit to that).
Frams are widely availabe, but as stated, you can get a good or better filter for less.

I don't know why they're bothering with PTFE treatment since it's already been proven that the PTFE in Slick 50 does nothing beneficial...and in fact really does nothing at all. Wake up, Fram.

I hope this isn't too political, but I think you Canadians need to ask you elected official why you are paying through nose for crummy filters when South of lake we have a wide choice of good ones dirt cheap. Got to be some stupid regulations stopping the Champs and Purolator's at the border.

You're right, PTFE is Teflon. It's supposed to stick to engine parts and make them slicker. I suspect most of it just sinks to the bottom of your oil pan.

In fact Fram asked Dupont (inventors of Teflon) for the rights to use the Teflon name on their filters but Dupont refused, saying Teflon doesn't do any good in a car engine. So they call it PTFE instead. It would've been a quick buck for Dupont, so that speaks volumes to me that PTFE is no good for your car.

Labman: You can get Quaker State and Maxlife (both aka Purolator) at Canadian Tire up here. I've seen Wix filters in indy stores too. So better filters are available, just expensive.

quote:

Originally posted by BennyL:
I have a Chevy Astro (same as GMC Safari) that I am asking about. It is the delivery van for my business.

Hmm, I have the same rig at my business. I'm not sure what all is available in Canada, but I usually use a NAPA Gold on mine. If you do not have NAPA stores then look for an AC. Go to a Chevy dealer if you have to if they don't charge an arm and a leg. If you must get a Fram, then get a Tough Guard. Or if you're only in Toronto, then take a jaunt over the border some day to a NAPA or Auto Zone.

we do have NAPA stores. i'm gonna call and ask about the gold oil filters. see what the price is. you guys say they are better than FRAM tough guard?

Vilan: i've never noticed QuakerState or Maxlife filters are Canadian Tire. i'll check it out tonight. but if they are more than the FRAM Tough Guard, i probably will not bother.

labman: i know dude, its so stupid. it blows my mind how cheap oils and filters are just across the border. its robbery over here! we have less of both to choose from, and pay ALOT more!

-

Wow!! $7.50 for a Fram!! You paid $7.00 too much *S*

PTFE has to be so hot to adhere that engines would nearly melt before it became a "coating" issue.. don't want that!! LOL

"The Double Guard is a plain old Double Guard with some Teflon in it, and it's pre-oiled(don't see much benefit to that)."
Maybe it's a Fram after dumpster diving. Pre-oiled and pre-owned.. well, ya wouldn't want to have to 'break in' a new filter now, huh?? *grin*

Nebraskan: oil filters are expensive here in Canada, not like you guys get them for dirt cheap.

Clyde65: I noticed you mention WIX filter. I called my local NAPA store (mind you, I'm in Canada, where it is alot harder to get the brands you guys get) and they carry the NAPA Gold filters. Filter for my Chevy Astro is $7.29 for the Gold, and $4.99 for the regular NAPA line.

The guy said both are made by WIX. Can you confirm this? And whats the difference between the two? Last question: are both better than FRAM Tough Guard, or what?

The only thing I like about Fram is the textured grip. I wish Supertech had these, too, but probably Fram has a patent.

Supertec far exceeds a Fram 14 ways to 1. My wife's dishrage, stuffed in an orange can wiht a big spring to keep it all separated is probably better than the tough guard.. LOL Just j/k

In all honesty, and from past experience, find something other than Fram.
Amsoil EaOil filter, Mobil 1, WIX, Baldwin/Hasting, and not necessarily in that order. Leave the orange can on the walmart shelf.

ok, cuz i dont know of any places in toronto that carry Amsoil, M1, or Baldwin/Hastings. only one i can find is WIX, which is the NAPA brand.

will someone explain the difference between NAPA regular and NAPA gold oil filters?

www.fleetfilter.com

This guy is a site sponsor. If it is a delivery vehicle I imagine it sees a lot of miles. You could buy em buy the case and that way they would be cheap, after you average out the shipping per filter. Plus, you won't have to waste your time going to a bunch of different stores looking at filters. He can send em right to your door.

looks like a good idea... im just worried about customs & brokerage fees. i have a bad history with UPS charging me ridiculous amounts for brokerage.

are WIX filters made in USA?

a case of WIX filters from that site is $34.32 plus $17.86 for UPS ground to Canada, as quoted on the site. thats still cheaper than here. but im gonna send him an e-mail and see if he'll ship USPS, cuz i hate UPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back