Fram oil filter leaking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did the old gasket come off with the old filter? I think something is suspicious about the whole ordeal.

What if the OEM is made by Fram like Honda and Subaru?
Then I'd suspect that the OEM company would cover it if they have a warranty on their filters causing damage, which they probably do.

Not seeing how the filter was installed I would hesitate to jump on the lets blame the OCOD [sarcasm intended] for the leak. Some people forget to lube the rubber gasket, others over tighten the filter, and still others do both. Oh and they can be installed too loose as well, or with the old gasket stuck in place, having two gaskets. I'd venture to say in a high percentage of the scenarios I mentioned, the filter gets the blame.

Shouldn't leak, no excuse for that.

Chances of you getting two leakers in your life are right up there with winning the lottery, so keep on using them.

Lets see some pictures including the date code and if you aren't sending it back to FRAM cut it open and lets see the innards.

When company ownership changes, I'm always on the lookout for changes to the product. Could be something going on at FRAM.

The filter could very well have leaked. I wasn't there to see it with my own eyes. So I won't judge. It's a mass produced product. There's bound to be an occasional failure here and there. It just a numbers game.

That said, I used OCODs for many years when I was in my teens and through my 20s. It was just an oil filter to me. No thought put into it.

My father in law insisted on a Fram filter in everything he owned....and I screwed a many OCODs on everything from Ford Torinos to Toyota Siennas and everything in between until the day he passed.

To this day....if I'm doing an OC for someone who wants it as cheap as possible or the occasional "charity change" I do for a couple of people....it's most often a Fram TG....be it a can or cartridge.

Never an issue of any kind in 35 years. So even if that filter was leaking.....it was a fluke IMO.....despite that fact that everyone has a story about their uncle's, cousin's, best friend from high school who's Mustang "blew up" on Fram filter.

XGs are all I run on my daughter's Yaris.

20200822_120246.jpg

And this was until about 3 weeks ago. Currently running an M1 found on sale last summer.

Screenshot_2020-11-13-10-11-45 (1).png

Last edited:
Did the old gasket come off with the old filter? I think something is suspicious about the whole ordeal.
I agree. Starts with using someone else's video. I think the filter was not tight enough when installed and loosened slightly over time. Hard to imagine a defect in the filter taking 8000 miles to show up.

Did the OP mention if it was tight when he removed it? Did OP cut old filter apart and look for a defect?

No leaks here ... but they are bad about gaskets sticking on the flange ... always check ...

Contact FRAM. I recently had an ever so light weep on a FRAM Ultra and they had me send it to them for testing, then sent me back the testing results, all of which I posted on here. They also sent me two free replacements for my trouble. They have excellent support.
How long did it take for the leak to show up? Right after install, after some miles put on it?

I always do like my dad who showed me how to change oil when I was a teenager, after a fresh oil change start car and I lay on the ground for several minutes watching to make sure nothing is leaking underneath for several minutes. But honestly after that I don’t think about it again until it’s time for another oil change.

guess I should start take a peek every so often at it just to make sure all is well

How long did it take for the leak to show up? Right after install, after some miles put on it?

I always do like my dad who showed me how to change oil when I was a teenager, after a fresh oil change start car and I lay on the ground for several minutes watching to make sure nothing is leaking underneath for several minutes. But honestly after that I don’t think about it again until it’s time for another oil change.

guess I should start take a peek every so often at it just to make sure all is well

It was an ever so slight weep, took several days for me to smell it, never dripped on the ground. There's a thread on it here.

What if the OEM is made by Fram like Honda and Subaru?
All branding agreements are different but normally when a manufacturer makes a "branded" part for another OEM- part of that agreement is to hold the component OEM "harmless" because they almost always make the components to a specific speciation or standard for the "branding".

My Nephew had a Fram blow, lost all his oil. Completely trashed engine. Nephew contacted Fram who told him to send the blown filter ton them. Like an idiot, my dumb a$$ nephew did. Fram denied there was anything wrong with filter, and kept the filter.

In all fairness, that's one side of the story but without any further details they could have been right in denying the claim.

As mentioned, where is the evidence (and chain of evidence where the filter was sent off) supporting the claim the filter "was" the problem rather than a result of a different problem?

In no way am I impugning or casting judgement but there are always 2 or more sides to every account.

Got a Fram on now which I put on last March and doesn't leak a drop.
I have three in service at the moment, one of them for a year as we enter December. Odds are that one will be in service for at the very least 2 years. No leaks from any of them.

This thread is fake news. Starting a thread with an old video that you found on the internet and didnt disclose is inexcusable.

I understand mistakes happen, we all make them. But you have to understand, this thread should actually be removed.

If it wasnt for PimTac we would all be commenting based on your video which isnt yours and you forgot to disclose that fact.

Manufacturing mistakes happen, glad it wasnt a Super Tech filter or they would be forever trashed. Fram is forgiven.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back