Fram oil filter#7317/Subaru 2.5L

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know Fram manufactures Subaru oil filters with a I believe a 23.2psi oil by-pass valve but according to Fram and the reply I got from them was that they did not know why Subaru would need a 23.2psi valve on their oil filters.The impression I got from them was that their oil filter part#7317 would cause no harm.Their(Fram)oil by-pass valve opens up at 13psi.I would think that the valve would be open for a while letting unfiltered oil to pass by the media.I know Wix makes a approved oil filter with the correct by-pass setting.Joe

From my perspective, its a Subaru and not a Porsche. I buy lots of 6 Subaru filters on Amazon and call it a day. NAPA 0W20 synthetic oil.

I save my oil over-thinking for my Ford F250 Powerstroke.

Originally Posted by Joeescape63
I know Fram manufactures Subaru oil filters with a I believe a 23.2psi oil by-pass valve but according to Fram and the reply I got from them was that they did not know why Subaru would need a 23.2psi valve on their oil filters.The impression I got from them was that their oil filter part#7317 would cause no harm.Their(Fram)oil by-pass valve opens up at 13psi.I would think that the valve would be open for a while letting unfiltered oil to pass by the media.I know Wix makes a approved oil filter with the correct by-pass setting.Joe

Yeah I'd go with the wix. Of course fram is gonna say their 1 for all products are sufficient, they want people to buy their stuff. Suburu would certainly have a different thing or 2 to say about why they require a 23.2 bp. Don't drink the koolaid brother

Last edited:
Glad Im not the only one struggling with this. Just bought 1st new car of my life, '18 Crosstrek and I dont like having to buy an oem oil filter of all things.
Just did 1st oil change using NAPA 0w20 and gold filter. Going forward, I'll probably use that or go Purolator which should cause an outcry here.
One thing is, I will observe psi rating for filters. I figure smarter folks that I came up with the need.

Some of these newer cars have VERY specific oil filter bypass settings. And when that is the case, you should run an OEM filter or the first couple of years until the aftermarket comes out with a comparably good filter with the same PSI settings.

NAPA 7055... meets every spec a Subaru H4 has ever required. Period. Let's stop
18.gif

Your concerns will vanish once you get the oil consumption or burning issues that many Subaru owners deal with. Drive it and worry about something serious like our military drinking Iceland completely dry.

Besides my factory filter, my Subaru has never had a filter on there with a 23PSI bypass valve. I have used Amsoil, M1, and Fram filters on it with zero issues and my UOAs look great (always have consumption issues.

Below is one of the UOAs that I have on hand for my Ru and I have done others with M1EP oil and M1 filters with very similar results. I cannot note any increased wear caused by the lower bypass valve rating even after several -15ish degree cold starts and one -36 degree cold start.

OIL AMSOIL ASM 0W-20
TOP-OFF OIL None - No loss.
FILTER FRAM - XG7317
SUMP CAPACTIY 5.5 QT
MILES IN USE 10,100
MILES ON UNIT 87K
SAMPLE TAKEN March 7 2015
LAB: Oil Analyzers Inc.

Wear Metals (ppm):
ALUMINUM 1
CHROMIUM 0
IRON 8
COPPER 1
LEAD 0
TIN 0
CADMIUM 0
SILVER 0
VANADIUM 0
NICKEL 0

Contaminant Metals (ppm):
SILICON 24
SODIUM 9
POTASSIUM 0

Multi-Source Metals (ppm):
TITANIUM 0
MOLYBDENUM 155
ANTIMONY 0
MANGANESE 0
LITHIUM 0
BORON 70

Additive Metals (ppm):
CALCIUM 3428
MAGNESIUM 23
PHOSPHORUS 681
ZINC 770
BARIUM 0

Contaminants:
FUEL DILUTION SOOT WATER
Fluid Properties:
cSt @ 100 C 9.0
TBN 3.83
OXIDATION 56 abs/cm
NITRATION 16 abs/0.1mm

Originally Posted by Marco620
Your concerns will vanish once you get the oil consumption or burning issues that many Subaru owners deal with. Drive it and worry about something serious like our military drinking Iceland completely dry.

I've had 4 prior Subarus totalling over 300k total miles and never had one that used more than 0.5qts over an OCI, even the ones that went 7500 miles. Unless I'm extremely lucky (which I dispute since I haven't won the lottery), I'd argue that statistically speaking, your limited, biased sample size does not accurately represent the total population.

Originally Posted by IveBeenRued
Besides my factory filter, my Subaru has never had a filter on there with a 23PSI bypass valve. I have used Amsoil, M1, and Fram filters on it with zero issues and my UOAs look great (always have consumption issues.

Below is one of the UOAs that I have on hand for my Ru and I have done others with M1EP oil and M1 filters with very similar results. I cannot note any increased wear caused by the lower bypass valve rating even after several -15ish degree cold starts and one -36 degree cold start.

OIL AMSOIL ASM 0W-20
TOP-OFF OIL None - No loss.
FILTER FRAM - XG7317
SUMP CAPACTIY 5.5 QT
MILES IN USE 10,100
MILES ON UNIT 87K
SAMPLE TAKEN March 7 2015
LAB: Oil Analyzers Inc.

Wear Metals (ppm):
ALUMINUM 1
CHROMIUM 0
IRON 8
COPPER 1
LEAD 0
TIN 0
CADMIUM 0
SILVER 0
VANADIUM 0
NICKEL 0

Contaminant Metals (ppm):
SILICON 24
SODIUM 9
POTASSIUM 0

Multi-Source Metals (ppm):
TITANIUM 0
MOLYBDENUM 155
ANTIMONY 0
MANGANESE 0
LITHIUM 0
BORON 70

Additive Metals (ppm):
CALCIUM 3428
MAGNESIUM 23
PHOSPHORUS 681
ZINC 770
BARIUM 0

Contaminants:
FUEL DILUTION SOOT WATER
Fluid Properties:
cSt @ 100 C 9.0
TBN 3.83
OXIDATION 56 abs/cm
NITRATION 16 abs/0.1mm

according to several people around here you cannot track wear with a used oil analysis so who really knows. Just to use the correct filter with the correct bypass setting

Before I was aware of the BP valve "issue", I used Hastings brand filters on my 2.5 Subie. I now use the blue Subaru filters. I wonder how many people get their Subaru's serviced at quick lubes where it it doubtful the installed filter has the high BP number. I think it's a non issue but I've been wrong before.

Originally Posted by 2dogs
Before I was aware of the BP valve "issue", I used Hastings brand filters on my 2.5 Subie. I now use the blue Subaru filters. I wonder how many people get their Subaru's serviced at quick lubes where it it doubtful the installed filter has the high BP number. I think it's a non issue but I've been wrong before.

Its probably not the end of the world if everything is ok with the engine but the filter is gonna be bypassing more than necessary. That kinda defeats the purpose. If something is introduced or some large piece of wear is stuck creating yet greater than usual wear your engine will suffer more as it's bypassing more reintroducing harmful particles more than it might otherwise. so why not use a correct filter.

Use the Wix
smile.gif

If you're considering the Fram 7317 because you want to use the Ultra XG7317, you don't have to do that because Wix does make XP versions for both Subaru filters. Wix makes both a 57055XP and a 57712XP

Yeah, I agree. Sometimes you don't know what you don't know. Figured it would be safer to use the Subie filters. The Subaru filters don't cost much and are easy enough to get.

Just because the aftermarket filter doesn't have the same exact bypass valve setting doesn't mean it's not the proper filter specified by the filter designer/manufacturer. As mentioned by many here, it's also the design of the filter media's flow performance (along with the max expected pump flow) that has a bearing on the bypass valve setting. Anyone concerned about it should email the filter maker and ask why they specify their filter with a lower bypass setting than the OEM filter has. Otherwise, just use a filter that has a bypass setting very close to the OEM filter if you don't trust an aftermarket filter maker to specify the correct filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back