Fram filter with grip

How do you install a fram filter with the grip? Can you use your hand or do you still need to tighten with a wrench?

Hand tighten with a shop towel in hand. Works every time. If you tighten with a wrench you run the risk of the gasket remaining on the engine at the next change.

This is the 9th post so should bring luck.

An honorable mention goes to >>>>> "Tighten 1/2 to 3/4 turn upon contact"!......(applause-applause)
I mean seriously, it's graphically represented on the side of most filters.

Even when you try, you can't get much beyond 3/4 turn.

Last edited:
I've always given any spin-on oil filter a small little tighten with a oil filter wrench. By small I mean about 1" tighter. Never had a problem with loose, leaking, won't come off or gasket sticking. I've had numerous new car oil filters that I destroyed getting them off.

I've always given any spin-on oil filter a small little tighten with a oil filter wrench. By small I mean about 1" tighter. Never had a problem with loose, leaking, won't come off or gasket sticking. I've had numerous new car oil filters that I destroyed getting them off.
That is exactly what I do. Just a small nudge with the filter wrench. I have seen too many leaking filters because the were only hand tight and I don't need that in my life.

Back