Fram FE3600 oil filter opened

Anything that’s used for half of its rated life should look great.

@Linctex ran a plain Motorcraft for over 50k miles… now that’s intestinal fortitude!

That FL-1A was on for 30,000 miles. Ford 400 2-bbl in a F250.
Looked great when I cut it open. . . . . . That was around 1995 IIRC....

The "50,000 mile filter" was a Fram Tough Guard - - - 2008 F150 with 4.6 2V engine.
I generally go 20,000+ miles per filter on my 2.4 GDI Kia Optima. There's practically nothing in them when I cut them open.
Car has 173,000 miles now (had 18K miles when I bought it in 2019) - - and it doe NOT burn or leak a drop of oil.

[ MOST ] people that spend big money on "high-dollar filters" will almost never see any return for their efforts.

It’s been so long that the legend had grown… 30k on Motorcraft is still a leap of faith 😛

Yeah, I really don't think they resemble anything like they once did.

Remember back in 1999-2000 when the "Mini Mopar" page did all those oil filters cut open?

Hard to believe it has been 23-24 years ago already.....
Back in those days,
the FL-1A was a Purolator "Pure One" element inside.
:-/
Not so much anymore!!!

The Endurance is a GREAT filter to use in a cleaning cycle with HPL EC, and once it's cleaned up, then it could go longer. That's being awfully nice to an old jellybean (Taurus)!

I'm thinking maybe TBN was depleted or about depleted. I really wanted to get a non-Blackstone UOA.

I want to run this oil out for the long haul, as well. Since I insist on doing it myself...
Unless the acids in the oil are dissolving components in the engine, it’s dubious that TBN reduction is the cause. It’s a chemical buffering function, not a viscous/mechanical issue. To say the oil was sheared down may be a cause but you’re running HPL oil IIRC, which should be pretty stable. I suspect it’s another engine issue, either from something going bad with age, or from tinkering.

Unless the acids in the oil are dissolving components in the engine, it’s dubious that TBN reduction is the cause. It’s a chemical buffering function, not a viscous/mechanical issue. To say the oil was sheared down may be a cause but you’re running HPL oil IIRC, which should be pretty stable. I suspect it’s another engine issue, either from something going bad with age, or from tinkering.
The Taurus didn't have HPL in it.

The Taurus had CAM2 5W-20.. an ILSAC GF-6A (said so on the quarts.)

The Subaru had HPL... I apologize, I should have clarified.

Maybe that OCI was a tad long on a regular old 5W-20.. I should really do more "controlled" tests/documentation.

The Taurus didn't have HPL in it.

The Taurus had CAM2 5W-20.. an ILSAC GF-6A (said so on the quarts.)

The Subaru had HPL... I apologize, I should have clarified.

Maybe that OCI was a tad long on a regular old 5W-20.. I should really do more "controlled" tests/documentation.
I doubt that the old school Taurus v6 is that hard on oil or that even a more generic oil like cam 2 wouldn’t be up to the task for that engine. This is where a UOA would be helpful to see if the oil viscosity held, if theee was fuel dilution, etc.

I doubt that the old school Taurus v6 is that hard on oil or that even a more generic oil like cam 2 wouldn’t be up to the task for that engine. This is where a UOA would be helpful to see if the oil viscosity held, if theee was fuel dilution, etc.
I think you're on to something!

What's a good UOA that's not Blackstone that I could perhaps do better "controlled tests" as to length of OCI and remaining TBN? That seems like it could be relevant.

I should keep better track of those things. They seem relevant.

I think you're on to something!

What's a good UOA that's not Blackstone that I could perhaps do better "controlled tests" as to length of OCI and remaining TBN? That seems like it could be relevant.

I should keep better track of those things. They seem relevant.
TBH I don’t know. I used to use Napa but I think the last few weren’t run, I never got results.

I think @The Critic had some reasonable pricing on kits if one bought 10 at a time or something. Group buy time?

Back