Fram FE3600 oil filter opened

2004 Ford Taurus Vulcan 3.0 - almost 13k OCI. Orange Can Fram 3600 "Didn't fit."

Car had 145,389 miles.

Attempted to show some of the oil coming out, as well as verifying mileage on the car.

Topped off with HPL
20230819_110503.jpg
20230819_110518.jpg
20230819_110635.jpg
20230819_111052.jpg
20230819_111106.jpg
20230819_111109.jpg
20230819_111116.jpg
20230819_111232.jpg
20230819_094231.jpg
20230819_110541.jpg

Please let me know if anyone else would like to see anything else on the filter before I make endeavor to get it disposed of. Again the Orange Can Fram didn't fit.. if anyone wants that one, FOR FREE, DM me and it's in the mail.

Last edited:
What's with the tear?
If you're talking about this...
20230819_111232.jpg

- ahh. Okay. Okay so these ARE "wire backed.." it didn't come off the car like that!! I took one of my utility knives that I got over the years, cut into the material away from my hand to try to get a sampling of the filter media. Then went over to the Screwdriver department to try to pry it up to see some of the media. It was "uncooperative."

It didn't come out of the car like that, apologies if anyone thought it was.

I'm just a guy in a garage with some stuff I can present. What are some of the things we like to see in cut-open threads?

Here is baseplate, filter, can, spring, orange ADBV, plate spring is in

20230819_113204.jpg

Here is "inside the can"
20230819_113214.jpg
20230819_113217.jpg

Here is trying to show some more of that "filter media."
^ I did this!
A messy tear.. Ok. It's me trying to pull it off the wire backing...
20230819_113352.jpg
20230819_113403.jpg
20230819_113415.jpg

Base plate
20230819_113658.jpg
20230819_113704.jpg

20230819_113751.jpg

What y'all think? How does it look. Probably on the car for about 10,000 miles
Mileage start: 145,389

Please let me know if anyone else would like to see anything else on the filter before I make endeavor to get it disposed of. Again the Orange Can Fram didn't fit.. if anyone wants that one, FOR FREE, DM me and it's in the mail.

Last edited:
Looks great to me, thanks for the cut and post. I’m surprised the FE3600 is shorter than the PH3600, but I guess I shouldn’t be. First brands knows no bounds when it comes to cost cutting, although I’m still surprised to see it on their best filter.

Is the "wire backing" still metal? Is it magnetic? You mentioned 13k in the beginning & then said 10k at the end? It appears as though you've changed the oil & reused this filter? Thanks!

Is the "wire backing" still metal? Is it magnetic? You mentioned 13k in the beginning & then said 10k at the end? It appears as though you've changed the oil & reused this filter? Thanks!
Yes! I've got kind of the "running oil change" going on. Lost about a quart when the Orange Can - hold on. This one:

20230819_121853.jpg
20230819_121901.jpg

- "wouldn't fit." I'm really not sure why, either.. I think I had one on this car before. But exhaust manifolds are HOT! OUCH.. 🔥 Anyways. So it's MOST of the oil oil.. some HPL and some Castrol 5W-20 now. Should run it out another 15k, honestly.

Now, about magnets.. 🧲

Here is a magnet..
20230819_122054.jpg
20230819_122107.jpg

While there is SOME magnetic attraction ON THE CAN, the wire backing appears to be mesh.

I'm just a guy in a garage in a house.

20230819_122321.jpg
20230819_122300.jpg
20230819_122157.jpg

So we have about 1/2 the oil changed in 13k miles (NO oil consumption. NONE. Good engine, this one) in the still Running Oil Change consisting of CAM2 5W-20, Castrol Edge Black jug 5W-20, and about 1/2 quart of HPL. New filter. Should run out to about 160k, honestly.. although @LDB called it, the old oil drained looked dark. Not black. But dark. See 2nd pic.

Car runs better with new filter and fresh oil. This should be noted.

Anyone wants that Fram, DM me. I might just use their Titanium from now on.

@fantastic okay apologies on being confusing. Here is what occured: Around 8, decided to change filter because it's about to race up more miles . Bought Orange Can Fram. Got back home. For some unknown reason, it didn't want to thread on. Lost some oil when verifying that. Got frustrated. Decided to put the filter pictured back on, go to store, get a NEW FE3600. Got back home, changed filter in about 30 seconds.. I can do it like a pro with the slightly shorter FE3600 and it goes on like it never left. So there is a NEW FE3600 on there and this one is obviously cut open and shown.. "about half the oil has been changed" this due to disposal concerns, you see my container. So there is some re-use of oil, changing it all requires ramps and two containers and a wrench because no Fumoto valve or anything and well then there is the whole 10k OCI debate, of which I believe it can probably go to about 15k. So sorry for the confusion. And if you use all the oil in the stash, you won't have it anymore lol...

Here's the oil that made up the difference. They were the lucky winners in the Stash. Oil-dri on the floor and all is well. I need to order more HPL. I'm not gonna use that Orange Fram so. I'll update tomorrow in the other thread about that.
20230819_124400.jpg

DATE CODE:
23018AF 09:09
PRODUCT OF USA
20230819_133403.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great to me, thanks for the cut and post. I’m surprised the FE3600 is shorter than the PH3600, but I guess I shouldn’t be. First brands knows no bounds when it comes to cost cutting, although I’m still surprised to see it on their best filter.
Is it the same size as the Royal Purple in the same model/appliction? Probably so, since the Endurance is basically a Royal Purple in a Fram can.

Since it's a Champlabs filter it will use a champlabs can, it's pretty typical for champlabs filters to be a little smaller than their competitors especially for large filters like the ph3600 since they're primarily in the jobber market and it probably is just easier to reuse the same dies for all their filters than to have seperate ones for the more expensive filters that sell in a much lower volume.

Since it's a Champlabs filter it will use a champlabs can, it's pretty typical for champlabs filters to be a little smaller than their competitors especially for large filters like the ph3600 since they're primarily in the jobber market and it probably is just easier to reuse the same dies for all their filters than to have seperate ones for the more expensive filters that sell in a much lower volume.
I’ve noticed the same thing with shorter sizes in the FE series. I’ve bought the 7317, 3593A, 3600, and 10575 and the latter two are both shorter than the other filter lines.

That FE3600 should fit nicely on my Mustang then as it’s about FL400s size which a lot of Mustang guys run over the 3614/FL910s. I’ve done one change on it and it looked like the 3600 would be a little tighter fit than I was expecting.

The 10575 was mentioned, interesting aside the PH10575 I recently put on the wife’s Edge was shorter than the ST MP10575 I took off. I didn’t expect that either.

Anything that’s used for half of its rated life should look great.

@Linctex ran a plain Motorcraft for over 50k miles… now that’s intestinal fortitude!
Some if not the majority of us replace our oil filters when we change the oil, 10,000 miles is about the max most people will push so this gives them a good idea of how these filters hold up for at least their oil change intervals.

If I decide to run a Fram Endurance it will be for my 5,000 mile interval.

I do like the look of this Endurance posted, reminds me of OG Ultras. Not sure I can stomach using a 13 dollar filter for 5k though. Not a fan of drain and fill while under warranty. 🤷‍♂️
I wouldn't think of it as a $13 filter for a 5k interval. Clearly you must care about your vehicles to some extent because you aren't doing ridiculous oil change intervals and instead are being smart and doing 5k intervals.

So think of it more as getting the best efficiency possible, because from my understanding right now there is nothing better in terms of efficiency on the market. With that being said the Ultra is perfectly fine.

Some if not the majority of us replace our oil filters when we change the oil, 10,000 miles is about the max most people will push so this gives them a good idea of how these filters hold up for at least their oil change intervals.

If I decide to run a Fram Endurance it will be for my 5,000 mile interval.
I wasn’t knocking changing filters at less than rated mileage. But there have been plenty of examples where an oil filter has been left on for multiple rounds of oil changes, with UOAs with each oil change, that show insolubles stay just as low over subsequent runs. It just means if one is inclined to run it for rated mileage, there’s no real risk nor benefit to changing the oil filter.

However, if you’re so inclined to changing the filter short of its rating, there’s no real downside to running an Extra Guard or Tough Guard since filtration ratings are essentially the same. Saves a few bucks without any downside. 👍🏻

I wasn’t knocking changing filters at less than rated mileage. But there have been plenty of examples where an oil filter has been left on for multiple rounds of oil changes, with UOAs with each oil change, that show insolubles stay just as low over subsequent runs.
When you compare Blackstone UOA particle count data to "insolubles %" data on the same oil samples, there isn't any real correlation going on which makes me have no confidence in the insolubles info to measure oil filtering performance.

When you compare Blackstone UOA particle count data to "insolubles %" data on the same oil samples, there isn't any real correlation going on which makes me have no confidence in the insolubles info to measure oil filtering performance.
Obviously particle count is the gold standard for in-service testing (since nobody in their right mind will pay for a private ISO test), but not too many folks are willing to drop the $25 on top of Blackstone’s already-precious $38 UOA fee.

Obviously particle count is the gold standard for in-service testing (since nobody in their right mind will pay for a private ISO test), but not too many folks are willing to drop the $25 on top of Blackstone’s already-precious $38 UOA fee.
Its basically worthless except to compare to you own results and only if you sample it very precisely the same way every time.

Back