Fram Extra Guard PH3506 cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cut open this Fram Extra Guard PH3506 from my girlfriend's new (to her) '99 Grand Am SE with the 2.4 4-cylinder engine. The filter had just a hair over 3,000 miles on it at the time of the change. It had less than 3 months on the OCI as well, if I remember right. Oil used was bulk Valvoline from the dealership. It looks like the filter did its job, but just barely. The media is horribly distorted, to the point of bending the cardboard endcap in one or two spots. It didn't appear to be separated from the center tube in any spots like Widman's was. The ADBV appeared to be working correctly as there was a bunch of oil in the filter before I cut it open. It makes me slightly nervous to use the Tough Guards I snagged for 50 cents...
p8050671.jpg

p8050672.jpg

p8050673.jpg

p8050674.jpg

p8050675.jpg

Originally Posted By: StevieC
37.gif

The TG's are built much better than this Khrap...

Thanks for posting...

The Tough Guards are the same as the Extra Guards, just with a better media and ADBV
frown.gif
The Extended Guards are the ones that are built better. I have a bunch of both, but I'm nervous to use the Tough Guards with the cardboard endcaps... I'm sure they'll do the job, but just barely.

Cut one open and let us look at it... There is one of the Fram filters that isn't available here. I think it's the Extended Guards.

The TG I cut open a while ago seemed like reasonable construction.

Keep in mind that million of vehicles go hundreds of thousands of miles on these Orange Cans -o- death. So no worries!

Last edited:
Looks like there aren't that many pleats(?).
What are you guys using to cut them open?

I used a Dremel with the cutting wheel to open it. One good thing about this filter was that the can seemed very thick. It took almost an entire wheel to cut it open.

Cut one open and let us look at it... There is one of the Fram filters that isn't available here. I think it's the Extended Guards.

The TG I cut open a while ago seemed like reasonable construction.

Keep in mind that million of vehicles go hundreds of thousands of miles on these Orange Cans -o- death. So no worries!

This site has pics of the Extended Guard and Tough Guards:
http://www.300cforums.com/forums/general-discussion/31190-oil-filters-dissected.html
(Thanks to ZZman for the link)

37.gif

THIS thread NEEDS to be shown to the "What's so bad about Fram" guys...

There seem to be multiple spots where the oil was bypassing. Including the one large distortion in the bottom where it wouldn't have been "sealing the cardboard" against the leaf spring.

On the top, with the large creases, there again, appears to be evidence of the oil bypassing..........

Stevie, the Extended Guards are sold up here, I bought one from Part Source, and Canadian Tire also sells them. They are $12.99 but I got mine on sale from Part Source a few weeks ago for $9.99.

AFAIK, all of the Frams that are sold in the US are also sold here in Canada.

Originally Posted By: Patman

Stevie, the Extended Guards are sold up here, I bought one from Part Source, and Canadian Tire also sells them. They are $12.99 but I got mine on sale from Part Source a few weeks ago for $9.99.

AFAIK, all of the Frams that are sold in the US are also sold here in Canada.

Patman I know my CTC and PS stores like the back of my hand and regularly scan the shelves and I have never seen them. I have seen the regular Frams and TG's but never the EXG's

Here is a virgin TG I opened a while back, and with the exception of the Silicon Anti-Drainback Valve and the Screen-Over the By-Pass Valve they look pretty similar.

P4011015.jpg

Actually the Fram Tough Guard looks very similar to the Honda A-02. I recently cut the Honda open and with the exception of the TG screen over the bypass, hard to tell any difference.

I've used the TG before and cut it open and it didn't anything like the OP's Extra Guard. That's one ugly filter, especially considering the OCI.

Thanks for posting pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back