Fram Endurance vs Purolator Boss oil filters

Can anyone comment on the pictures of the two filters above, the one has much more inlet flow vs the othe

Its probably fine, but some will obsess that more holes allow easier and faster flow on startup or high RPM. It also depends on the media itself, you might have a lot of holes, but if media itself is more restrictive than it does not matter.
I think there is a test that measures flow rates at different PSI, would be good to compare….

Thank you for this, very helpful.

Can anyone comment on the pictures of the two filters above, the one has much more inlet flow vs the other. Some filters look like the amount of holes and size of them are so small that they would have less combined flow than the return/center hole. Is there anything to watch for this when selecting filters? Do all filters make sure that the inlet flow is never less than the return flow etc etc?
the inlet holes will flow more than the oil pump in most cases so nothing to be alarmed about.

You all are arguing about only one aspect (oil filters) and ignoring the effects the others have. You have to be much more specific when you discuss any of these things, as they all have jobs to play in a very meaningful manner.
True ... but it's been pointed out many times that these discussions need to be with the understanding that all other factors are held constant, and only look at the effect of oil filtration on wear. The conclusion will be that the cleaner the oil is from better filtration, the less wear there is. That will always be true ... the physics of that will never change. Every lab or in field controlled study has basically come to that conclusion.

Agreed that there are many factors involved in an engine system and its use factors if someone thinks about it, and then try to "match" an oil filter to their engine use conditions. Dirtier running engines need a better filter, longer OCIs need a better filter, engines with compromised intake systems or lower efficiency air filters need a better oil filter, etc. Better oil filter means one with better filtering efficiency. Many people doen't even undertand air filter ISO test data, which can be harder to obtain and understand than oil filter efficiency testing.

One of the basic things to realize (and many do know here) is that the longer the OCI, the more important it is to have a more efficient oil filter. Dumping the sump every 1000 miles on a broken in engine wouldn't need a very efficient oil filter. Doing a 10K+ miles OCI would certainly benifit from using a higher efficiency filter. Engine wear is propotional to the cleaniness of the oil times how many times the sump has been pumped thorugh the engine. One mistake to do IMO is use a filter advertised for long OCIs that has a pretty low efficiency. A filter like that is most likely a high debris slougher (as seen in Ascent's ISO test data) and if ran too long and it gets pretty loaded up, it's shedding debris downstream like Pig Pen walking round (Charlie Brown reference).

It is not wrong to claim that a higher efficiency filter will trap more particulate; that's a decent generalization. But what is inappropriate to claim is that the oil filter will substantially reduce wear all the time; that is patently wrong. The oil filter can only trap what is present as a ratio of the overall sump, and only when the particulate is of the size range that the filter is effective in.
Again, these filter discussion always have to be discussed in terms of all other factors held constant except for the oil filter performance. Same goes with discussing motor oils. If that clarification isn't made, the discussions can't be logical as you know. Only way to focus on the effect of anthing is to hold all other factors constant and only change the factor to see its effect.

Do not confuse oil filter efficiency with effectiveness.
- if the air filter is doing a good job of reducing silica ingestion
- if the OCI is short enough that large quantities of soot are not present
- if the add-pack is sufficient that it continues to hold soot at a small enough size
- then the oil filter has very little work to do, and it's efficiency isn't going to affect wear rates in a tangible manner
Conversely, poor air filtration combined with long OCIs and poor quality oil will leave a heaping load of problems for the oil filter to contend with, and here the conversation would certainly lend itself to high efficiency and high capacity being paramount in an oil filter.
There are a lot of "ifs" involved, and pretty hard for someone to completely nail down. So the simplest and most logical thing to do IMO is to just use a high efficiency oil filter because then you are covered for every "if" involved. It just can't be any simpler than that. I've decided that any well designed/constructed oil filter that is 95% @20u or 99% @ 25u (those two points are basically the same performance level) or better in filtration performance works for me and any engine use conditions I have. I take the same logical viewpoint with motor oil viscosity. I chose a HTHS viscosity as a primary parameter when buying oils. I don't want to run on the ragged edge of MOFT, so I ensure I have some added MOFT headroom for all the "ifs" involved in keeping moving parts from wearing on each other.

I would ask that many of you stop to realize that discussions about wear control in an engine is a multi-faceted conversation, and to not get your panties all wadded up over arguments which focus on one aspect while ignoring other very important contributors to the topic of wear control.
Same response as above ... these discussions about oil filter performance have to be in the context that all other factors are held constant, and only the oil filter performance is looked at. This is why comparing oil filters per an official ISO 4848-12 or other controlled lab or in field testing is useful, regardless of what some people here think about test data like that. They'd rather lock on to YT "testing" videos than study up and absobed offical controlled tests that are pier reviewed by many experts in the industry.

I agree with pretty much everything you've point out, but the imporant thing is when comparing filters, or oils, or whatever ... that the context has to be that all other factors are held constant or the dicussion will just go in circles.

One thing about BOSS that I dont like is that holes in base plate are very small in diameter compared to Endurance and most other filters.
Same filter fitment, the one with larger holes is Fram Endurance.

1718216870551.jpeg
The holes in base plates and the holes or louvers in center tubes are always a big discussion point and comes up all the time. People are very visual, and when they look at a comparison like these two base plates, they will automatically conclude that the one with smaller and/or less holes will "not flow as much oil". But an engine uses a positive displacement oil pump for a reason ... because a PD oil pump is always trying to force the same volume of oil through both of those oil filters.

Many people have compared the total area of the base plate inlet holes to the area of the main gallery in the filter mount, and they all show that the mount inlet gallery area is always less than the total area of the base plate inlet holes, so nothing to worry about.

Also, I've calculated the dP across two different base plates like that, and the actual dP difference (with all other factors held constant of course) is very small ... in this case probably less than 1 PSI difference at pretty high flow rate with hot oil. A difference in flow restriction like that is nothing to a PD oil pump. Same goes with center tubes with holes. A center tube with lots of giant holes compared to one with visually smaller holes, the calculations of the dP difference is very small. Filter designers look at the dP with design models to ensure they put the right size and amount of holes in base plates and center tube - looking at the pressure drop across the filter elements and the filter as an assembley is part of designing a filter.

The only thing you need to watch out for is center tubes with louvers. The manufacturing forming of louvers can be all over the place, and there have been many instances of louvers being mere slits and almost closed. A filter like that can make the dP high enough that the bypass valve could be open way too much compared to if the louvers were opened up well like they should be. I try to avoid filters with a louvered center tube these day, but if I have to buy one with louvers I certainly inspect it well through the base plate hole with a good flashlight before I buy it.

@ZeeOSix you've had a lot of input on these posts, which oil filter do you prefer to run?
As mentioned above:
"Any well designed/constructed oil filter that is 95% @20u or 99% @ 25u (those two points are basically the same performance level) or better in filtration performance works for me and any engine use conditions I have."

Ideally, a full synthetic, wire or nylon backed filter that meets that minimum ISO efficiency. I have enough OG Ultras to last me 8 years, but when out of those I'd go with something like an Endurance or maybe a MicroGard Select of similar Premium Guard made extended use filter these days. But 8 years from now, the whole oil filter industry will be changed over at least 3 times, so who knows what will be available then. 😄

Last edited:
Zee -
I know we agree in principle on most things. But the thing your comments leave undefined is the very crux of the problem in these discussions. Having other things "constant" does not help define the parameters; it only equalizes them.

If a sump is heavily laden with particulate, as a result of a long OCI in a dirty running engine, then a higher efficiency filter that also has higher capacity is going to shine above the others. That I would agree with. But if a sump is fairly fresh, and held has a constant with low contamination from frequent OCIs with a good lube, the high eff and high capacity won't much be able to distinguish itself above other choices.

As we've agreed before, the difference between a 95% filter and a 99% filter (at 20um) over a 5k mile OCI isn't going to really manifest into a tangible difference in terms of wear control. But those same two filters over perhaps 15k miles with a dirty running engine might make a very distinct difference. Or, if a 95% filter were placed against an 80% filter, the better would certainly prevail.

Holding something "constant" only puts it in a state of not being a variable, but it does NOT define the condition as to whether it's inherently high or low, relative to the overall considerations.

When things are lab tested, they are often put to extremes to make the desired differences become more dramatic. But that does not mean that all real world situations will manifest into the same results. If the conditions are reasonably mundane, the large disparity in performance choices may well never materialize.

Again - if shorter OCIs, good air filtration and a decent oil are in play, the oil filter is generally along for the ride because of two things:
- there's not a lot of contamination in the first place (the quantity of particulate present is low)
- what does exist is on the smaller end of the scale (the size of the particulate is small)

So, when you say "hold all other things constant" (paraphrasing), you cannot say that without ALSO defining what the constant state is ... is it constantly clean or constantly dirty? I'm not saying oil filtration isn't important; it most certainly is. It's just that its importance is a variable based on other inputs to the overall equation. If you have a heavily contaminated sump, the oil filter capacity and efficiency are very important. If you keep a clean sump with frequent changes, the oil filter becomes far less of a factor.

Last edited:
Can anyone comment on the pictures of the two filters above, the one has much more inlet flow vs the other. Some filters look like the amount of holes and size of them are so small that they would have less combined flow than the return/center hole. Is there anything to watch for this when selecting filters? Do all filters make sure that the inlet flow is never less than the return flow etc etc?
Trust the filter designer. There's a big disconnect for most people trying to compare flow dP with their eyes. When it's calculated, it's obvious that what looks like a big difference in flow area is really not changing the difference in flow dP enough to care about. The only way to get a handle on that (or anything fluid flow related) is to actually compare calculations.

Last edited:
Zee -
I know we agree in principle on most things. But the thing your comments leave undefined is the very crux of the problem in these discussions. Having other things "constant" does not help define the parameters; it only equalizes them.
You have to "equalize" things, meaning look at the effect of only one factor by holding all other factors constant, or the effect of the variable will never be understood. Hold all other effecting parameters constant, and only focus on the one variable for the resulting effect. In this case the only variable should be the filter efficiency while holding all other possible effecting factors as constant as possible. This is the basic way the standardized ISO 4548-12 test works, or any other SAE/ASTM, etc test works. It's designed to test the performance of filters all ran under the same operating conditions.

If a sump is heavily laden with particulate, as a result of a long OCI in a dirty running engine, then a higher efficiency filter that also has higher capacity is going to shine above the others. That I would agree with. But if a sump is fairly fresh, and held has a constant with low contamination from frequent OCIs with a good lube, the high eff and high capacity won't much be able to distinguish itself above other choices.
Same thing I've always said. The longer the OCI, the more important it is to use a higher efficiency oil filter to keep the oil cleaner over that longer OCI. Because wear from particulate in dirty oil is basically proportional to the cleanliness level of the oil times how long the oil has been circulated through the oiling system.

As we've agreed before, the difference between a 95% filter and a 99% filter (at 20um) over a 5k mile OCI isn't going to really manifest into a tangible difference in terms of wear control. But those same two filters over perhaps 15k miles with a dirty running engine might make a very distinct difference. Or, if a 95% filter were placed against an 80% filter, the better would certainly prevail.
Of course ... I've always said the same in every one of these discussions. Obviously, the closer that two filters are in filtering efficiency, the less difference they will make in use. We just say the same things in different ways, been that way for years.

Holding something "constant" only puts it in a state of not being a variable, but it does NOT define the condition as to whether it's inherently high or low, relative to the overall considerations.
Still has to be done if you really want to see the effect of only the variable parameter you're interested in. If you want to see the effect of every variable, then you'd have to repeat the same testing and hold each other variable constant and look at the effect of whatever other variable you're interested in. If you had a system where 4 variables had an effect, you'd have to run the test 4 different times, while holding everything constant besides variable 1, then variable 2, 3 and 4 to see how each one effects the outcome. Just basic test logic.

When things are lab tested, they are often put to extremes to make the desired differences become more dramatic. But that does not mean that all real world situations will manifest into the same results. If the conditions are reasonably mundane, the large disparity in performance choices may well never materialize.
True ... but as an example, the Cummins field study showed there was a clear correlation between oil filtration and engine wear. Every wear study shows that cleaner oil results in less wear. Nobody can prove otherwise. The "level" of difference is certainly there, and people can argue that all day long, but the bottom line is that better oil filtration results in cleaner oil, which results in less wear. That's good enough for me to use filters that are more efficient than not, regardless of my OCI or use conditions. I cover all bases and unknown "ifs" by just using filters that have higher rated efficiency. It's a no brainier and doesn't require your own test program and science project to try and out think test information that's already there.

Again - if shorter OCIs, good air filtration and a decent oil are in play, the oil filter is generally along for the ride because of two things:
- there's not a lot of contamination in the first place (the quantity of particulate present is low)
- what does exist is on the smaller end of the scale (the size of the particulate is small)
You either have to assume or test to verify that those things are going on, or just cover it in the simple way ... by using a relatively high efficiency filter. I'd rather spend a few bucks more for a filter than spend lots of money doing my own "test program".

Also, all the wear studies basically say the particles 20u or smaller cause the most engine wear. So using a higher efficiency filter will remove more of those sub 20u particles than a much lower efficiency filter. If someone wants to go a level above that, then they'd have to go with a bypass filtering system.

So, when you say "hold all other things constant", you cannot say that without ALSO defining what the constant state is ... is it constantly clean or constantly dirty? I'm not saying oil filtration isn't important; it most certainly is. It's just that its importance is a variable based on other inputs to the overall equation. If you have a heavily contamination sump, the oil filter capacity and efficiency are very important. If you keep a clean sump with frequent changes, the oil filter becomes far less of a factor.
Anytime you have multiple variables effecting a system, if you can hold all but one variable constant you're going to see the effect of that variable. You have to hold a constant state of the system, except for the variable your looking at. This is how the ISO 4548-12 is meant to work. Of course, doing testing in the field is much more difficult to do, but if done reasonably well it will show the effect of one variable changing, just like shown in the in-field Cummins filter testing.

Of course if a controlled test where the sump was always pretty clean, it would be harder to see the difference of the filter efficiency that if the sump was really dirty. But regardless, it's still a fact that a higher efficiency filter will always keep the oil cleaner than a lower efficiency filter - regardless of the resulting difference level.

If someone wants to spend lots of time and money doing their own "test program" to try and determine what the level of difference is between filters to decide what filter to use, then go for it and please post the test results here for all to see. Looking at particle counts in UOAs posted here show that the ISO particle count data difference between 99% @ 20u vs 99% @ 40u (or 50% @ 20u) filters is pretty significant. How much difference in wear does that result in? ... certainly not enough to "blow-up" the engine, but it could make a difference over the long run. Of course the car might rust out or get T-boned and totaled, so who cares about oil and filters? 😄 ;)

Last edited:
Does blackstone report this somewhere?

They do, and I believe it costs more Money, I think they list the price on their website.

It is better to have a really efficient Air filter on your Car with a less efficient oil filter, than it is to have a less efficient Air Filter on your car with a more efficient Oil Filter.

It is better to have a really efficient Air filter on your Car with a less efficient oil filter, than it is to have a less efficient Air Filter on your car with a more efficient Oil Filter.
Most people don't even discuss air filter efficiency here (in the air filter forum) compared to oil filter efficiency. And if anyone really digs into air filter efficiency, they need to verify if course dust or fine dust was used to conclude the advertised ISO 5011 efficiency.

My take is both air and oil filters are important - sure air filtering is "more" important if you have to compare the two. By why just discount oil filtration. If anything gets by the air filter and into the oil, the oil filter is the only filter left to capture it. And the air filter can not capture anything that the running engine itself puts into the oil.

Last edited:
Does blackstone report this somewhere?
As already said, you have to add it to the regular UOA. Also, some people think that the "% Insolubles" on a regular UOA indicates filter performance. But I've compared the "% Insolubles" data to the particle count data on many UOAs on the same report, and there is no real correlation between the "% Insolubles" numbers with the particle count data. Based on no correlation, the particle count is what should be compared, not "% Insolubles".

^^^ Answered in the other thread discussing filter efficiency. Whatever I use, it has to have an efficiency of at least 99% @ 25u or 95% @ 20u or greater. I have OG Ultras that will last for about 7-8 years, so who knows what the "best" filter will be by then the way the oil filter industry is always in a state of flux. 🙃

^^^ Answered in the other thread discussing filter efficiency. Whatever I use, it has to have an efficiency of at least 99% @ 25u or 95% @ 20u or greater. I have OG Ultras that will last for about 7-8 years, so who knows what the "best" filter will be by then the way the oil filter industry is always in a state of flux. 🙃
Unfortunately, can't get my hands on any of them so it would either be Purolator Pure ones, Wix, Donaldson or Fram Endurance

Yeah I found one light duty I guess P577066 about $20 bucks. Now isn't Purolator and Fram also full flow or no?
Fleetpride in my area has a few selling for 8 bucks each, 20 dollars is a bit far stretch, you are better off grabing a wire backed Fram from Walmart for nearly half of that.

Fleetpride in my area has a few selling for 8 bucks each, 20 dollars is a bit far stretch, you are better off grabing a wire backed Fram from Walmart for nearly half of that.
I found a Fleetpride not to far from me, I will probably hit them in a couple days..

The cost should be a factor too. I got Puroloator BOSS on so called "sale" for $11 on Amazon, but now its $16 on Amazon, where as Fram Endurance is always $13 at Walmart. I do not see a good reason to pay more for BOSS...

The cost should be a factor too. I got Puroloator BOSS on so called "sale" for $11 on Amazon, but now its $16 on Amazon, where as Fram Endurance is always $13 at Walmart. I do not see a good reason to pay more for BOSS...

Pays to shop around Mr. Walmart

Back